Raiders sign DL Solomon Thomas (1 year, $5M)

RaidersAreOne

13 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

1. That is.....depressing. 

2. Sad, but true. 

3. 100%. We can all certainly debate guys like Leatherwood being taken too early and whether we made a dumb move and got lucky by snagging Moehrig (I think both, but I'm more than happy to have both guys, I just question the wisdom in "how" we acquired them respectively). 

But what isn't debatable anymore is how we waste pretty decent picls on longshot projects (Muse, Bowden, Deablo, etc.), guys at positions with ZERO chance of starting (Koonce, Gillespie while there were decent prospects on the board at positions like RB, WR, LB, DT- things we needed more than deep reserves), and then double down by using picks on guys like Morrissey as a 3rd C....seriously, 3 deep at C when we have the guy we let a top 5 C go in favor of and a low end starting caliber C already on the roster? (And yeah, it was a 7th rounder which is barely more than grabbing the rights to an UDFA, but again, there were UDFA guys we could've spent a 7th on to guarantee they come to Vegas that could've pushed some of the trash on the roster). 

Talent evaluation and prioritization are an absolute joke with Gruden and Mayock. 

We have wasted picks and draft capital at a rate worse than Al.

22 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

You definitely forgot what it was like before.  Lol

No, I remember.  Al would hit on some picks every once in a while also.  Before he lost it Al was better than Gruden at evaluating players.  Actually I think Al's player profile would work better now than it did before.   He probably would have tried to trade up ahead of KC for Mahomes.  Now once Al lost his mental capacities he was worse.  Al's issue at the end was we did not do our homework on players.  That is why we signed and drafted a bunch of players that had issues that should have been caught like Javon Walker's knee and Russel's 13 year old work ethic.  

6 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

No, I remember.  Al would hit on some picks every once in a while also.  Before he lost it Al was better than Gruden at evaluating players.  Actually I think Al's player profile would work better now than it did before.   He probably would have tried to trade up ahead of KC for Mahomes.  Now once Al lost his mental capacities he was worse.  Al's issue at the end was we did not do our homework on players.  That is why we signed and drafted a bunch of players that had issues that should have been caught like Javon Walker's knee and Russel's 13 year old work ethic.  

I can’t help but see a lil tp2 in Lamar Jackson 

6 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

fabian washington over aaron rodgers?

DHB over crabtree Percy harvin & hakeem Nicks

Jamarcus russell over AP Marshawn & Calvin Johnson 

Robert gallery over Big ben Phillip rivers fitzgerald 

Are you sure you remember?

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Remember that we were the 23rd team to pass on Rodgers.  I understand the pain but we had just signed Kerry Collins.  We drafted Walters in the 3rd so I guess Rodgers was on their radar but Al loves speed.  Easily one of the biggest mistakes he made.

DHB at the time looked like a horrible choice.  We probably draft Crabtree but he publicly came out and said he did not want to play for us.  Nicks and Harvin did not have great careers either.  Would rather take Jeremy Maclin.  Trading out was the only good choice.

Russell I already pointed out.  The guy physically was a #1 pick.  For whatever reason they did not discover he had zero work ethic.

Gallery was considered the safest pick in the draft and not a single person thought he was going to do as bad as he did.  This was a good choice bad outcome.  We still had Gannon and signed Collins so no to Big Ben.  We had Porter and Curry at WR who we were high on.

DHB and Fabian Washington were bad but so was Ferrell and Abram.  We have been bad for a long time.  There are a handful of people in here that have outperformed our front office since I have been on this board.  Our drafting has been this way for a long time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Remember that we were the 23rd team to pass on Rodgers.  I understand the pain but we had just signed Kerry Collins.  We drafted Walters in the 3rd so I guess Rodgers was on their radar but Al loves speed.  Easily one of the biggest mistakes he made.

DHB at the time looked like a horrible choice.  We probably draft Crabtree but he publicly came out and said he did not want to play for us.  Nicks and Harvin did not have great careers either.  Would rather take Jeremy Maclin.  Trading out was the only good choice.

Russell I already pointed out.  The guy physically was a #1 pick.  For whatever reason they did not discover he had zero work ethic.

Gallery was considered the safest pick in the draft and not a single person thought he was going to do as bad as he did.  This was a good choice bad outcome.  We still had Gannon and signed Collins so no to Big Ben.  We had Porter and Curry at WR who we were high on.

DHB and Fabian Washington were bad but so was Ferrell and Abram.  We have been bad for a long time.  There are a handful of people in here that have outperformed our front office since I have been on this board.  Our drafting has been this way for a long time.

Lookin back at Gallery what did him in at Tackle did he have trex arms ? He was the LT during the 06 season IIrc ‍😬

Edited by SimonGruber

1 hour ago, SimonGruber said:

Lookin back at Gallery what did him in at Tackle did he have trex arms ? He was the LT during the 06 season IIrc ‍😬

He was suppose to be the closest to a sure thing that year.  If you look back it seemed like we were just looking for the wrong position each year.  

2001 - S Gibson - Wayne or Ocho

2002 - CB Buchanon and LB Harris - Passed on Ed Reed twice because we had just drafted Gibson.

2004 OT Gallery - WR Fitzgerald

2005 - CB Washington - QB Rodgers

2006 - S Huff - DT Ngata ( does not fit the theme but he was my favorite player in that draft.

2007 - QB Russell - We have Rodgers and Fitz so we go with Thomas

2008 - RB McFadden - Honestly we needed a back and there was not much else to pick from.

2009 - WR DHB - We have Fitz and there is not much else to chose from.  Total hindsight but why not Alex Mack to pair with Joe Thomas.

This hindsight of course but if I was making the picks the Gibson, Harris, Washington , Huff, Russell, and DHB picks would not have happened.  I might have been tempted to take Calvin Johnson in 2007 but it would have been dependent on the shape of the o-line.  I am not a big fan of drafting WRs but I loved Chad Johnson and Calvin Johnson coming out.  2009 I would have drafted Crabtree and let him be the water boy.  I would have selected the bold.

12 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

I do not remember.  He was a decent LG.  His arms probably played a part since they ere just over 32 inches.  

14 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

He was suppose to be the closest to a sure thing that year.  If you look back it seemed like we were just looking for the wrong position each year.  

2001 - S Gibson - Wayne or Ocho

2002 - CB Buchanon and LB Harris - Passed on Ed Reed twice because we had just drafted Gibson.

2004 OT Gallery - WR Fitzgerald

2005 - CB Washington - QB Rodgers

2006 - S Huff - DT Ngata ( does not fit the theme but he was my favorite player in that draft.

2007 - QB Russell - We have Rodgers and Fitz so we go with Thomas

2008 - RB McFadden - Honestly we needed a back and there was not much else to pick from.

2009 - WR DHB - We have Fitz and there is not much else to chose from.  Total hindsight but why not Alex Mack to pair with Joe Thomas.

This hindsight of course but if I was making the picks the Gibson, Harris, Washington , Huff, Russell, and DHB picks would not have happened.  I might have been tempted to take Calvin Johnson in 2007 but it would have been dependent on the shape of the o-line.  I am not a big fan of drafting WRs but I loved Chad Johnson and Calvin Johnson coming out.  2009 I would have drafted Crabtree and let him be the water boy.  I would have selected the bold.

ya, alot of horrible drafting. I always thought Mcfadden was screwed on those Raider teams. he would have had alot better career on a more well ran organization 

10 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

ya, alot of horrible drafting. I always thought Mcfadden was screwed on those Raider teams. he would have had alot better career on a more well ran organization 

I liked fargas and didn’t think we needed to draft dmac 

6 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I liked fargas and didn’t think we needed to draft dmac 

Fargas was solid and ran hard. But I remember getting annoyed when they kept giving him touches when we had Mcfadden. I always thought there was a huge talent gap between the two. Talent wise, McFadden had a few years where I thought he was top 3-5 back in the league based on talent. Just stuck on a team being ran like a circus. 

On 8/6/2021 at 2:08 PM, Jeremy408 said:

The Robert Gallery pick was insanely bad, I forgot the team but somebody wanted to trade for that spot for a insane amount of picks.