Raiders sign RB Kenyan Drake (2 years, up to $14.5, $11M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, Geezy said:

The first question mark was an error, I meant he’s been trying fill that role with someone since last offseason with Bowden, obviously he has a role to fill in his offense, so I’d hardly call this unnecessary 

in the interest of consistency, i was pretty upset about the bowden pick at the time because (even if he panned out) spending a 3rd round pick on a backup RB made no sense to me. that he flopped is just insult to injury.

b38e6141f4101e47c67471c53ea7fd55.png

Edited by Turnobili

5 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

in the interest of consistency, i was pretty upset about the bowden pick at the time because (even if he panned out) spending a 3rd round pick on a backup RB made no sense to me. that he flopped is just insult to injury.

So you don’t like RBs, got you! We’ve pounded Jacobs in the dirt for 2 years and he was more effective down the stretch when Booker was taking more reps. Gruden wants a ball control offense, and we just got a high end 2, who’s is getting paid like a high end #2. 

Jacobs and Drake combined make $800k more than Melvin Gordon. 

Edited by Geezy

1 minute ago, Geezy said:

So you don’t like RBs, got you! We’ve pounded Jacobs in the dirt for 2 years and he was more effective down the stretch when Booker was taking more reps. Gruden wants a ball control offense, and we just got a high end 2, who’s is getting paid like a high end #2. 

i dont mind RBs. i dont even mind backup RBs. hell, i like having 3 on the roster!

its about what resources are going into the position.

2 hours ago, Turnobili said:

i dont mind RBs. i dont even mind backup RBs. hell, i like having 3 on the roster!

I understand this stance. We have clear needs we need to address and I want to see them addressed sooner than later.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Turnobili said:

This is a borderline starter/high end nr.2 RB. Alternative would have been sign an average to low avr nr.2 RB and save probably $ 2.5 mio. Dont think that 2.5 mio is stopping us from making moves.

I prefer a good nr. 2 over last year with  booker.

20 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Hmmmmm... Cards maybe heavy on Najee Harris or Etienne early in the draft?

Fournette? Don't mean to thread hijack, I just wasn't full expecting it. 

From what I've heard, they're just very high on Chase Edmonds and Eno Benjamin. Benjamin apparently showed very well in practice and camp last year but was rarely active due to a lack of role on special teams. I know he was well-liked by some draftniks. Edmonds, meanwhile, was a pre-draft darling in 2018 with good testing numbers and production and has done nothing but impress with his touches since he's been in the league. They'd probably rather just save a bunch of money and go cheap at the RB position.

Both of their guys are better blockers than Drake, anyways, and he was the least efficient RB on the roster. He was hit a lot behind the line, but he also went down on first contact a LOT. Just gave me some David Johnson flashbacks. Which is crazy because Drake was so good the year before. Just the type of RB that requires patience because he'll take it 80 yards to the house every few games, and average 2 yards per carry otherwise. Went East-West a lot more than North-South and wasn't a huge tackle breaker. Edmonds and Eno can offer a similar skill-set with a little more value on 3rd downs.