Draft Rumors / Notes - Around the NFL

Texas_OutLaw7

1 minute ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Housekeeping question... are we just using this thread in place of the draft prospects thread moving forward?

I am agnostic to the decision. I viewed this as a chance to post rumors & targets, but it may be clearer to add info like the above towards the draft prospect thread as we are 30+ days out and a lot can change.

18 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Mel Kiper's new mock just came out. QBs went 1-2-3-4. Surtain (our pick) and Slater were still on the board at #10.

The other two eye-openers were Jamin Davis to the Raiders at #17 and Tutu Atwell at #29 to the Saints.

My goodness, the Bucs DL would be INSANE:

JPP - Vita - Baramore - Barrett

3 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Mel Kiper's new mock just came out. QBs went 1-2-3-4. Surtain (our pick) and Slater were still on the board at #10.

The other two eye-openers were Jamin Davis to the Raiders at #17 and Tutu Atwell at #29 to the Saints.

I ignore Kiper’s mocks. He’s literally obsessed with Dallas taking a DB every year no matter who else is on the board, what the team’s needs are, and when we last took at DB in the 1st round. He’s nothing but a mouthpiece at this point.

Can’t stop the run? Draft a DB.

Can’t catch a pass? Draft a DB.

No QB? Draft a DB.

Can run block or pass protect? Draft a DB.

Can’t run the ball? Draft a DB.

Edited by plan9misfit

6 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I ignore Kiper’s mocks. He’s literally obsessed with Dallas taking a DB every year no matter who else is on the board, what the team’s needs are, and when we last took at DB in the 1st round. He’s nothing but a mouthpiece at this point.

Can’t stop the run? Draft a DB.

Can’t catch a pass? Draft a DB.

No QB? Draft a DB.

Can run block or pass protect? Draft a DB.

Can’t run the ball? Draft a DB.

If you are worried about the specific matches of players and teams, then mock drafts are pointless across the board, at this point.

If you are curious about scenarios and trying to determine how the NFL stacks these players up, then I think mocks from analysts who have the right access can be really valuable. Kiper mocking 4 QBs that early, or a player like Jamin Davis at #17 is definitely noteworthy.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

1 minute ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

If you are worried about the specific matches of players and teams, then mock drafts are pointless across the board, at this point.

If you are curious about scenarios and trying to determine how the NFL stacks these players up, then I think mocks analysts who have the right access can be really valuable. Kiper mocking 4 QBs that early, or a player like Jamin Davis at #17 are noteworthy.

True, but I don’t think that Kiper has much access at this point. Mayock had more, and he became a parody of himself before becoming “GM” of the Raiders.

Just now, plan9misfit said:

True, but I don’t think that Kiper has much access at this point. Mayock had more, and he became a parody of himself before becoming “GM” of the Raiders.

Help me understand why the head draft guy at the biggest media outlet, with the biggest draft coverage budget, who has built relationships over the course of several decades, no longer has much access?

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Help me understand why the head draft guy at the biggest media outlet, with the biggest draft coverage budget, who has built relationships over the course of several decades, no longer has much access?

Because he’s wrong far more than he’s right. Years ago, his analysis on players and teams was far better than it is now. So, if he has access, then he’s being lied to. Otherwise, he’s just speculating like everyone else. The only difference is that he’s a legacy figurehead; but that doesn’t mean that he has more inside information than anyone else.

Like I said, Mayock was much more accurate than Kiper was. 

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Kiper's real talent has always been in knowing the unknown. A lot of people have insight on round 1. Kiper has insight on guys in round 6-7. It is insane. 

Guys like Brugler are just as good because of the tools available to research players. Before the internet took off, Kiper was the gold standard, and there wasn’t a close second. Now? Not so much.