Team needs 2021 and beyond

Cutler06

Looking at some Bronco reports trying to identify what this team need, here I'd like to address those needs for 2021 and perhaps beyond. IO'll rank them and give my perspective, let me know what your thoughts are as well.

1  Quarterback - OK, nothing surprising here. Lock is our starter but has done nothing to establish himself as the QB of the present nor QBOTF. We've also done nothing this off-season to push him or replace him, perhaps the FO is happy to wait to see if Lock can take that next step. Secondly, there seems to be 4-5 (depending who you speak to) QB's in this draft with potential to replace Lock but with the 9th overall pick they could all be gone before we pick. Third option is we can wait to see if a trade for Watson, Wilson, or another QB currently in the NFL becomes available, would Paton step up to make that trade ? Lastly, there's always next year...

Need Rating: 8 out of 10. This offense is ready to explode but only will go as far a the QB play takes us. Our skill positions could elevate the Qb or the Qb can drag down our skill players, up to Paton to decide what's next.

2. Cover Inside LBer - Fangio's defenses have always excelled when he'shad that sideline-to-sideline cover ILB. Alexander/Jewell stepped up last year but still left a lot wanting cover TE's like Kelce and Waller. In the draft, Parson seems to have the most talent but questions a bound about his maturity. Zaven Collins is another 'backer we could trade down fo, seems to be capable a with a bit of nastiness/toughness. both he and Parsons could elevate this defense to Top-5 status. Baron Browning and Jabril Cox are some 2nd day options as well. We also have an unknown (at least to fans) in 2020 5th rounder Justin Strnad. Some respected draft analysts called Strnad the steal of the 5th  round last year, many though he could've gone as high as the 3rd rd. A broken wrist ended his rookie season, but the staff appeared to be high on him before the injury. 

Need Rating: 6.5 out of 10. Strnad is really the wildcard IMO but it all depends on how the QB's fall in the 1st round. If we don't get a QB, ILB seems to be the best optin for this team IMO, whether at 9 or a trade back for Collins 

3. Right Tackle - As of right now we appear to have the strongest Oline in the division with James coming back from voluntary opt-out. While he appears to be motivated, since his arrival Ju'wann has provided nothing but a question mark. Much of that has been due to injuries, his talent has never really been a question, but his desire has. Given a whole season off he should be healthy and with rumors that he will be cut loose after 2021 season, James will have motivation to play well. Given those rumors though, will will be looking for a James replacement. Word is the Broncos are high on T Calvin Anderson, but he's served last year as a swing backup, he did start a couple of games and showed well, do they have confidence he'll take that next step ? Regardless, Ican see us drafting another OT, either this year or next. This draft contains two All-Pro talents in Sewell and Slater.  IF Sewell is available, would Paton pass on that type of talent while "being patient" ?

Need Rating: 4.5 out of 10. James is Under Contract, healthy and ready to complete. Should he play up to his talent, this need can wait IMO. Anderson is still in the backround, I can see a developmental 3rd day pick to see what Munchek Magic can do.

4. Edge Rusher - Paton picked up Von's option, given the market easy to see. Most Bronco fans really want to see what he can do opposite of a healthy Chubb with Reed in a solid backup role. That said, Von IS 32yo,Chubb  is coming up on a contract year, and you can never have enough pass rushers, especially in  this division. Tuszka isi n the wing yet we know nothing about him either. Attaochou left for CHI so here's a potential hole-in-waiting. Aldon Smith has been suggested as a Attaochu replacement (i'd like to see it) and there may be a few other but I could also see another 3rd day developmental pick, perhaps someone like Elerson Smith, Hamilcar Rashed Jr, or ??

Need Rating: 6 out of 10. Miller's age and recent injuries, Chubb's contract status pending. I really think this one could jump up to bite us if we don't address this one, especially with Mahomes and Hebert in this division.

5. Secondary needs - While this appears to be one of the strengths of this team, depth is always necessary. We need an eventual replacement for Kareem Jackson. At 33yo he's not gonna be able to maintain the level of play we've enjoyed, he's on a 1-yr contract after being cut recently. As of right now, the closest thing we have to a replacement on the roster IMO is Ojemudia, who is playing CB. Moving him may suit him better in the long run, but we can't know how he'll adjust. It would also deplete our CB depth, which haunted us last year, requiring us to fortify in free agency this year. So either a new young safety or do you add 1 (or 2 ?) young CB's ?There are some good options I like at safety (not sure all would fit Fangio's D), but a few to look at are Trevon Moehrig, Ritchie Grant, both 2nd rders IMO, Hamsah Nasirideen, Jevon Holland or Talanoa Hufanga look all tpo bring something to the table. As for CB's we can also have our choice of two lockdowns in Patrick Surtain, Jaycee Horn or Caleb Farley, all three available with our top pick. There seems like some good depth in this draft with names like Stokes, Newsome II or Melifonwu or later on Day 3 with  Samuels Jr, Trill Williams (who we're Zoom'd with), or even a speedster like Ambry Thomas. 

Need Rating: 4 out of 10. Jackson, Fuller and Callahan are coming up on contract year although Fuller only signed a 1-yr hoping the Cap increases enough to get a long-term next year. Callahan's injuries raise flags but we're high on Bassey to replace him. Jackson needs a young safety but less so if OJ is moved. Regardless, I see the Broncos selecting at least 2 DB's

I am just going to ignore QB for this post. The position has been done to death; we all know we need better play at that position, whether it be Drew or someone else. 

Outside of QB, a disruptive interior Defensive Lineman is the biggest need on this team. I actually don't think it's that close, either. Shelby is a good player but he's not the wrecking ball that is needed on good teams. People think higher of Dre'Mont Jones than his play has suggested. Just look at the best teams in the league for proof of why you need a high quality interior threat on Defense.

I think RT is next. Juwan James can't be relied upon, and we have nothing proven beyond that. I was intrigued by Calvin Anderson last year, and it's why we felt comfortable with letting Wilkinson go. But, he's unproven and it's clearly an important position that we've not had acceptable play at for quite some time.

Next, I honestly believe outside pass rush is our biggest need. Von's time is counting down in Denver. This almost always happens to players who were elite (HOF in the case of Von), are on elite contracts but then their play and/or health begins to deteriorate. The player still wants the big contract, the team won't pay it, so the player goes on the open market. I would be stunned if that doesn't happen with Von next year. Chubb was nothing better than above average in my eyes last year and whilst Malik Reed improved, he's not a consistent, potent threat that we require on the outside.

I would put Safety next. Clearly Kareem Jackson isn't a long term option and we don't have any young player that has shown they are capable of moving into a starting role.

Cornerback is closely behind, with Fuller only being on a 1 year deal and Callahan being consistently injured.

Only at this point would I put ILB. I could be persuaded that ILB is a bigger need than CB or perhaps Safety, but nothing above that. I have made my feelings on Josey Jewell clear in that I think he's a above-average to good NFL starter. I am not saying we can't upgrade; I am just saying this team has, in my opinion, far bigger needs.

I guess you would put Running Back in at this point. Gordon's contract is running out and there really isn't much of anything beyond him. 

• Like 4

I think it's really about replenishing the D with younger players.

Cornerback over the long term, for sure. Ojemudia might amount to a decent depth option, but in our division it's safe to say top tier CB play will continue to be important. Safety next to Simmons is equally necessary, but I expect this to be a priority for us this year.

Coverage LB is needed- we've been scraping by with average-ish play, but it's clear there's been a longer-term desire to find top tier talent, by virtue of the players in the draft we've been linked to over the years.

Edge rusher is a clear and present need IMO. Who knows what Miller will look like coming off an injury + getting older. He's not going to be around forever, and his effectiveness is only going to decline over time. Chubb, while solid, hasn't really demonstrated that consistent explosiveness/performance. Finding another guy or two here is going to be critical.

Nose tackle is a position I don't think gets talked about enough in terms of long-term prospects. Purcell has been a pleasant surprise, but we do really need additional depth. Doesn't necessarily require a major commitment, but we should be looking for someone to man that spot. 

On the defensive line point I haven’t mentioned it too much because I do trust that both Dre’Mont Jones and McTelvin Agim are ready for expanded roles in 2021 and I’m not convinced that just adding yet another day 2 pick will make much difference (since 2016 we’ve had Adam Gotsis, Demarcus Walker, Dre’Mont Jones and McTelvin Agim)

Thats four day 2 picks in five years. The first two played out their initial four year contracts and then walked, Jones has been slightly better but not a world beater. Agim has done nothing.

Having said that if there’s a really good 5-tech that pushes the pocket, I’m all for grabbing one in the first round if he’s the BPA. Carlos Basham could be an option if we move down, but 9 might be a little rich for him.

Mike Purcell I’m fine with at NT. 3-4 NT’s only play like 20% of the snaps these days so you don’t need a world beater. 

5 hours ago, paul-mac said:

On the defensive line point I haven’t mentioned it too much because I do trust that both Dre’Mont Jones and McTelvin Agim are ready for expanded roles in 2021 and I’m not convinced that just adding yet another day 2 pick will make much difference (since 2016 we’ve had Adam Gotsis, Demarcus Walker, Dre’Mont Jones and McTelvin Agim)

Thats four day 2 picks in five years. The first two played out their initial four year contracts and then walked, Jones has been slightly better but not a world beater. Agim has done nothing.

Having said that if there’s a really good 5-tech that pushes the pocket, I’m all for grabbing one in the first round if he’s the BPA. Carlos Basham could be an option if we move down, but 9 might be a little rich for him

On the field we haven't seen anywhere near enough from Jones and Agim to count on them. That's a huge gamble to just expect a leap.

I also don't think it's sound logic to use prior failed picks as a reasoning for not going IDL on day 2. Just pick better players I would say.

• Like 1