DRAFT TALK: Interesting draft scenario for ya'll…

whodatworm23

Imagine for a moment if you will that the 2021 NFL drafts first 7 picks plays out as follows…

#1. Jaguars take Trevor Lawrence:

No shock here, consensus #1 and has been since his freshman season.

#2. Jets take Zach Wilson:

This appears more and more a lock with each passing day with even former BYU and Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young saying that the Jets are committed to Wilson at #2.

#3. 49ers take Justin Fields:

Here’s where the draft takes a little bit of a turn. All of the talk at the moment is of the Nines taking Mac Jones and while it would seem like a good fit, the best player to ever run the Shanahan system was John Elway and Fields is the most physically gifted quarterback in this class and that simply cannot be overlooked when giving up this much in trade value. I think Kyle Shanahan is loving everyone thinking they know what he’s going to do when he knows he’s going to draft the more gifted athlete at the position all along.

#4. Broncos trade up with Falcons and take Trey Lance:

With Fields off the board the Falcons look for the best option via trade and find it in Denver as they likely wouldn’t trade within the division with Carolina. The Broncos seize the opportunity to come up and land their quarterback of the future in the raw but talented Lance.

#5. Bengals take Ja'Marr Chase:

The Bengals never make deals and everyone wants to give them a tackle here and while I understand that, Chase is a special talent and Joe Burrow will have a say in this as the Cincinnati front office has committed to consulting with him on personal moves recently according to reports. This draft offers depth at the tackle position either at the top of the 2nd round or late 1st if the Bengals choose to trade back up.

#6. Dolphins take Kyle Pitts:

The Dolphins traded back up with Philadelphia for the 6th pick because I believe they want to walk away from this round with either Chase or Pitts and would be happy with either. Here they land Pitts giving their young quarterback Tua a dynamic weapon and safety valve.

#7. Saints trade up with Lions and take Mac Jones:

💥 💥 💥 BOOM 💥 💥 💥

So if the draft played out like this to this point, we’d have the top 4 quarterbacks off the board already with the Lions on the clock and Carolina then Atlanta coming up at picks 8 & 9. I’m not going to go into Jones comparisons to Drew Brees as a college prospect but their there. The Lions are in a rebuilding mode with former Saints assistant HC Dan Campbell at the helm giving both New Orleans and Detroit a comfort level in trade talks built off trust. Compensation will be key but outside of Carolina at 8 and possibly New England at 15, I don’t see much of a bidding war to acquire Jones at this point so I doubt the price will be driven out of reach. It’ll still be costly though… I’m thinking to realistically come up from 28 to 7 its gonna cost a 1st and 3rd in both 2021 & 2022. The issue will be if the Lions expect 2023 draft compensation as well… I think that’s where the Saints would draw the line.

So here I have them giving up picks 28, 98 & 218 in 2021 and their 1st and 3rd round picks in 2022 for the 7th overall selection and the right to draft Mac Jones.

The question I pose to you is would you make this trade and or how would you feel if this trade did occur?

WHODAT?

1 minute ago, whodatworm23 said:

Do you hate the prospect... the trade... or both?

I don’t hate the prospect, but I don’t like him enough for the trade. 

If we only had Taysom I’d like it a lot more, but with Winston under contract I can’t get behind it. 

Side note: I’m actually excited to see Winston sling it a bit, knowing full well it’s gonna come with turnovers. It’s been a long time since we’ve seen that from this offense. Harris can take the top off the defense, one of Trequan Smiths best skills coming out was his ability to high-point contested balls downfield and he hasn’t been given much of a chance to showcase that. Michael Thomas takes unfounded hate but he’s more than capable downfield and he’ll get more chances to show that as well. Hopefully Winston develops better chemistry with Kamara than Taysom has.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dome said:

If we only had Taysom I’d like it a lot more, but with Winston under contract I can’t get behind it. 

Side note: I’m actually excited to see Winston sling it a bit, knowing full well it’s gonna come with turnovers. It’s been a long time since we’ve seen that from this offense. Harris can take the top off the defense, one of Trequan Smiths best skills coming out was his ability to high-point contested balls downfield and he hasn’t been given much of a chance to showcase that. Michael Thomas takes unfounded hate but he’s more than capable downfield and he’ll get more chances to show that as well. Hopefully Winston develops better chemistry with Kamara than Taysom has.  

I actually agree... I'm excited to see Winston play too however a zebra don't change his stripes. Having Winston slinging it is a recipe for disaster. Read the tea leaves... 1. Saints sign fullback, 2. Saints sign blocking tight end, 3. Winston speaks of becoming more of a game manager.

The Saints and Payton understand that the best way to keep Winston from making bad decisions is to not put him in a position to do so. Its my belief that the Saints will rely HEAVILY on their offensive line and run game in 2021. Sure Thomas will get his catches and Winston will hit some down field stuff off play action at times but its going to be a mothetical approach ball controlled offense with some Taysom Hill packages thrown in. 

Thats Winstons best chance for success and if he can't keep from being miskate prone in that surrounding then you move on.

4 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Its my belief that the Saints will rely HEAVILY on their offensive line and run game in 2021. Sure Thomas will get his catches and Winston will hit some down field stuff off play action at times but its going to be a mothetical approach ball controlled offense with some Taysom Hill packages thrown in. 

Saints fans have been (or had been) asking for this brand of offense for years, especially in the 7-9 years... interested to see how it works out. 

On 4/2/2021 at 9:35 PM, whodatworm23 said:

I actually agree... I'm excited to see Winston play too however a zebra don't change his stripes. Having Winston slinging it is a recipe for disaster.

I don't know, man. Brees's stats weren't great in his first 4 years. It wasn't until he came to NOLA and Payton that it all changed.

Winston's first years as a pro had to suck. His coach was Lovie Smith who just got canned from Illinois of all places, and then had 2 more head coaches before finally getting ousted.

I look at Winston and I see a guy who respects Payton enough to resign with him even after not getting the starting job during Brees's injury. And the guy dumped weight, practices hard, stays out of trouble now, and seems super humble.

Of course time will tell, but if you trade up to draft another QB, you're telling all your QB's that they're not good enough.

I think coach has the room here, and I think he's going to focus on stopping the passing game of Brady, Ryan, and the slew of new hot QB's that have had their way with opposing teams recently.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Edited by Mid Iowa
  • Like 1

People forget that Winston was a #1 overall pick. He was actually a really good prospect. He was a better prospect than the current Mac Jones. The Saints have Winston under contract this year, and it would likely take at least two 1st and a 2nd to get high enough to get Jones...that's just not worth it. If Jones fell to the Saints...sure, I'd be game. But he's not worth all of those resources considering that the Saints already have Winston who still has potential.

• Like 3

In agreement with others on this one. Roll with Winston. Mac hasn't thrown for 5k yards in the NFL in a single season, or 30 TDs in a season, but Winston has. The kid has talent. 

If he pans out, he's still young enough to ride out the next few bumpy years as the Saints deal with their cap issues, without sacrificing any draft capital.

On 4/3/2021 at 2:50 AM, Dome said:

I'm with Dome on this one... build the surrounding cast a bit more on both sides of the ball. Just bloody give JW the chance, I think he'll pleasantly surprise a lot of folks. 

Jones is good? Yes. Is he worth both a 1st and 3rd for each of the next 2 years? IMO, no. 

• Like 2