Jon Gruden, Raiders: Is the Marriage Stale?

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Pittsburgh- yep. They're fighting father time and last year's collapse was a full team issue. Roethlisberger looked far too done to carry a team anywhere. And I don't think they have much room for error. 

Tennessee- yep. I worry about their D mostly. It's boom or bust for them. They have an offense, for sure, but like you said- they're running Henry into the ground. 

Miami- I think they have the makings of a very good D. But as you point out, I think the offense could be hamstrung. They weren't sold on Tua, to the point of pulling him multiple times and being linked to QBs in FA and the draft. They don't have many good weapons to begin with, so Tua would have to turn into an All-Pro overnight for them to keep pace. They might be able to squeeze out a winning record again, but they'd be extremely lucky to do so. Plus, they play Indy, Tennessee, Baltimore, us, New Orleans, and Tampa- I can't see them heavily favored in any of those, and that doesn't even touch the 2 Bills games and the 2 Patriots games (I'll forever have to give Belichick some form of deference). 

On the same page here completely.  There's a lot of unknowns coming into this season after the division leaders.  With 7 slots available I think we can squeak one out if we don't implode after the first half of the season.  But I think you said it before, we might be 5-11 or 11-5.  I think we're more in the 6-10 range and 10-6 range.  We just don't have depth on the OL and that worries me.  We have 12 WRs, 2 decent TEs thankfully 4 RBs which I think is a huge deal with the now 17 game season.  But we have 2 legit starters on the OL (Miller, Good), an ancient dinosaur at LG (Inc), an average at best C (Martin) and an unknown C (A. James), and no RT (Parker isn't the answer).  I think we go as far as our OL takes us.  We have to hope and pray we sign a couple more players and draft a couple of OL as well. 

Also, if our defense doesn't take a huge step under Bradley, we aren't going anywhere.  I just hope he can somehow transform this defense into a top 20 defense.  Which I honestly don't think is going to happen unless we find some diamonds in the draft.

2 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Never thought about the possibility of Amik at FS but I’m intrigued by it. The dude has a serious nose for the ball and the range to do it. Will be interesting to see how the new defensive staff views him.

Mayock specifically said that Robertson struggled making the adjustment from outside CB to slot CB, so I'm not sure if they'd move him to a new position again this year.

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

But I think you said it before, we might be 5-11 or 11-5.  I think we're more in the 6-10 range and 10-6 range.  We just don't have depth on the OL and that worries me.  

Also, if our defense doesn't take a huge step under Bradley, we aren't going anywhere.  I just hope he can somehow transform this defense into a top 20 defense.  Which I honestly don't think is going to happen unless we find some diamonds in the draft.

Those are the two things that worry me as well, particularly the offensive line. Carr is a QB that needs great protection to play well, he gets rattled when he starts getting hit. We also saw how our run game / red zone offense took a step back and our offensive line as it stands looks significantly worse going into the season. 

The defense has some pieces and young guys that could develop but our pass rush is going to be terrible again unless guys take major leaps as will our secondary. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Unless we really suck this year I just can't see Gruden getting fired. Maybe he leaves by mutual consent but no way Mark Davis fires him unless we totally capitulate IMO. 

I imagine the pressure will come on if we don't have a winning record this season as it dang well should, but even then he has the built in excuse of new DC, new scheme (though obviously he was the architect of the failure that caused that). 

The more I look into Gus Bradley, his system and how our guys might fit the more excited I am about our D. We genuinely could be half way to decent this year.........

7 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Unless we really suck this year I just can't see Gruden getting fired. Maybe he leaves by mutual consent but no way Mark Davis fires him unless we totally capitulate IMO. 

I imagine the pressure will come on if we don't have a winning record this season as it dang well should, but even then he has the built in excuse of new DC, new scheme (though obviously he was the architect of the failure that caused that). 

The more I look into Gus Bradley, his system and how our guys might fit the more excited I am about our D. We genuinely could be half way to decent this year.........

Yeah he might keep Gruden if we go 7-10 or better but if we had a disastrous season like 6-11, I think everyone is gone. 

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah he might keep Gruden if we go 7-10 or better but if we had a disastrous season like 6-11, I think everyone is gone. 

That would be disastrous, especially after employing Gus Bradley this year too. That would be typical after drafting young guys for his system then changing everything again. That would be a very Raiders thing to do! 

Hopefully we'll have enough success to give Gus Bradley at least a couple years to get his scheme going and see what he can do for the young defensive roster.