Jon Gruden, Raiders: Is the Marriage Stale?

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Gruden was making like $5M a year at ESPN.

Last time I checked $5 million isn't $10 million.  Leaving $5 million on the table over the next 6 seasons isn't chump change.  He will stick around as long as he can or until he gets canned.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Last time I checked $5 million isn't $10 million.  Leaving $5 million on the table over the next 6 seasons isn't chump change.  He will stick around as long as he can or until he gets canned.

$5M was just his base salary, he can make money in other ways as well. Not to mention being a commentator is probably 5 million times easier than running an NFL franchise. 

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

$5M was just his base salary, he can make money in other ways as well. Not to mention being a commentator is probably 5 million times easier than running an NFL franchise. 

His salary as a coach is $10 million and he is making endorsement money as well.  I just saw him in a beer commercial making funny faces, turning red and yelling.  His shtick is getting old unless he can turn all of that acting into W's on the field. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

I went more than 'sour' that weekend when I saw we traded Mack. At that point 'Chucky' died and Gruden's EGO has been bigger than his paychecks. He has to EARN the loyalty back and he gives you glimpses but doesn't go 60 minutes for all 4 quarters and neither do his teams/players. I do think Mayock is the perfect GM for him as he understands the dynamic of navigating Gruden's EGO. Honestly can't see any real potential GM wanting this gig unless they lack experience. We have to make the best with what we've got because it's many years still and Gruden's 'shine' has worn off to go back to the booth unless he gets some playoff wins. 

7 hours ago, Turnobili said:

the sad thing is, with some peeves here and there (short distance play calling, and some degree of playing favorites), i still think Gruden is an above average coach and playcaller. he just has way too much power and autonomy and he's never been a team builder. we need a GM to have power over him, but that's never going to be the case

a) with his contract
b) with a rookie GM

Gruden is a pretty darn good coach... his problem is he gets some GM duties and that’s where he fails.  If he just stuck to coaching he’d be far better off.

14 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Davis will never fire Gruden. He will resign/retire with a job lined up back in broadcasting.

I predicted after 5 seasons, but I could see it happen after this year. The Raiders are not making the playoffs in 2021. The roster has seen to much turnover and they will only win 7-8 games IMO.

The pressure was already on Gruden to make the playoffs. There are less than 25 players under contract for 2022, so you're looking at major turnover again. It's do or die for Gruden IMO. Can't see him enduring another losing season and coming back in 2022

No it's not do or die for Gruden, thats just what you want it to be.

With that contract he isn't gone after next year unless he wants to go himself. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RealisticRaiderFan said:

Sadly I completely agree. It doesn't seem like a huge increase in production from JDR at all. At least him and Reggie were consistent. 

I wouldn't call 7-9, 12-4, 6-10 consistent. 

Unfortunately 4-12, 7-9, 8-8 isnt an upgrade. 

I don't see Gruden gone in the next 2 or 3 years, but i'm actually kind of optimistic on Gruden's ability to get wins if given a good roster. 

So it all depends on if we somehow can have a 2014 like impact draft this or next year.  

35 minutes ago, Roninho said:

No it's not do or die for Gruden, thats just what you want it to be.

With that contract he isn't gone after next year unless he wants to go himself. 

That is exactly what I'm saying. He will face another losing season in 2021 and "retire". His ego isn't sticking around for more losing football.

@RoninhoI guess I  meanmeant the consistency of where Del Rio and McKenzie managed personnel. The records certainly aren't consistent but you're right about the draft. If we haul like 2014, we can make a big wave.  Huge issue though is John getting talent in the draft. Our 02 SB team he built was talented but very niche too, I'm curious to see what Gruden thinks is out need in Round one. 

32 minutes ago, Roninho said:

I wouldn't call 7-9, 12-4, 6-10 consistent. 

Unfortunately 4-12, 7-9, 8-8 isnt an upgrade. 

I don't see Gruden gone in the next 2 or 3 years, but i'm actually kind of optimistic on Gruden's ability to get wins if given a good roster. 

So it all depends on if we somehow can have a 2014 like impact draft this or next year.  

He's in control of the roster. He's now rebuilding it for the second time in 4 years. They currently have < 25 players under contract for 2022.

He's whiffed in the draft to the detriment of the roster. They are now hoping to salvage some of these bad picks. 

2014 drafts are rare and the team had a top 5 pick in each round. Easier to hit on a high end guys. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

That is exactly what I'm saying. He will face another losing season in 2021 and "retire". His ego isn't sticking around for more losing football.

Ah ok, see your point. Tbh i dont get that vibe yet, i expect it to be more like at least aother 2 years of this.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

He's in control of the roster. He's now rebuilding it for the second time in 4 years. They currently have < 25 players under contract for 2022.

He's whiffed in the draft to the detriment of the roster. They are now hoping to salvage some of these bad picks. 

2014 drafts are rare and the team had a top 5 pick in each round. Easier to hit on a high end guys. 

Yeah i'm talking about his ability to coach us to a win. His drafting & free agencies have been ****

2 hours ago, RealisticRaiderFan said:

@RoninhoI guess I  meanmeant the consistency of where Del Rio and McKenzie managed personnel. The records certainly aren't consistent but you're right about the draft. If we haul like 2014, we can make a big wave.  Huge issue though is John getting talent in the draft. Our 02 SB team he built was talented but very niche too, I'm curious to see what Gruden thinks is out need in Round one. 

Ah ok. Yeah i must say at the end of the mckenzie era i was kind of fed up with us not adressing certain needs time & time again. Every year some other late round linebacker or slow runstopping FA linebacker and ending up with a bad lb unit.

12 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Gruden is a pretty darn good coach... his problem is he gets some GM duties and that’s where he fails.  If he just stuck to coaching he’d be far better off.

I don't even find this to be accurate. His teams have fallen completely apart 2 years in a row. Players are calling out leadership and accountability in the locker room. They are still preaching to "change the culture". 

He can put together an offense. That's about it. And even then he get conservative and make odd calls in key sequences of games. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I don't even find this to be accurate. His teams have fallen completely apart 2 years in a row. Players are calling out leadership and accountability in the locker room. They are still preaching to "change the culture". 

He can put together an offense. That's about it. And even then he get conservative and make odd calls in key sequences of games. 

If the same thing happens again for the 3rd year in a row, then i'm gonna become you next.

• Like 1