Jon Gruden, Raiders: Is the Marriage Stale?

23 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I don't even find this to be accurate. His teams have fallen completely apart 2 years in a row. Players are calling out leadership and accountability in the locker room. They are still preaching to "change the culture". 

He can put together an offense. That's about it. And even then he get conservative and make odd calls in key sequences of games. 

If he ever gets a DC that can put together a top 10 defense, we'll be playoff bound yearly.

16 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If the same thing happens again for the 3rd year in a row, then i'm gonna become you next.

I'm going to keep drinking the kool aid until the day I die.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jerry said:

If he ever gets a DC that can put together a top 10 defense, we'll be playoff bound yearly.

lol, well yeah... most teams who have a top 10 defense have a good shot at the playoffs. 

It's more than the DC. They need about 6 new starters to be a top 10 defense. 

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

I'm going to keep drinking the kool aid until the day I die.

damn if only a guy like Wade Phillips was available and wanting the job

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

lol, well yeah... most teams who have a top 10 defense have a good shot at the playoffs. 

Maybe an All Pro and a couple of pro bowlers sprinkled in.

What do we make of this from Tafur:

When do you think Gruden’s seat will get warm? Even though Mark Davis is enamored with him, it’s difficult to see him not getting frustrated if the Raiders miss the playoffs yet again this season. — Matthew E.

I think I said this in the podcast: If Gruden’s seat ever gets warm, he just chucks it out the window and gets another one. There are a couple of scapegoats already lined up for next season if the Raiders don’t improve on 8-8.

Who are the scapegoats lined up? 

31 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Mayock has to be THE scapegoat IMO, but it is really hard for me to believe Mark would give that big of a free pass for Gruden...It would be playoff or bust for me, if I were the owner. Only a major Carr injury could save them without a PO.

If we are not in the PO we recent defensive draft picks haven't developed and then Gruden could point to the GM for those missed picks...no one but Mark would believe it tho, so it would be nearly impossible to find a good GM, but that is not Gruden's style anyway :) 

6 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Mayock has to be THE scapegoat IMO, but it is really hard for me to believe Mark would give that big of a free pass for Gruden...It would be playoff or bust for me, if I were the owner. Only a major Carr injury could save them without a PO.

If we are not in the PO we recent defensive draft picks haven't developed and then Gruden could point to the GM for those missed picks...no one but Mark would believe it tho, so it would be nearly impossible to find a good GM, but that is not Gruden's style anyway :) 

That's the thing, Mark Davis gives a very different vibe compared to you.  It has to get really ugly before he puts Gruden on the hot seat. 

On 4/8/2021 at 10:31 AM, big_palooka said:

This. It doesn't matter who the defensive coordinator is if we don't have talent at all 3 levels. 

Robert Saleh is viewed as one of the best defensive minds in football and during their Super Bowl run the 49ers were 8th in scoring defense, allowing 19.4 ppg. And that defense featured Warner, Bosa, Ford, Buckner, Armstead, Sherman, etc. In his 3 other seasons as the 49ers DC they gave up an average of 25.1 ppg. For reference Ken Norton Jr's defenses gave up 24.1 ppg in his 3 years here and people viewed him as the worst DC in NFL history. 

You can deploy any scheme in the history of football and it won't matter unless you have talented players. When you look at the top 3 defenses last year, the Rams, Steelers, and Ravens, what do you see? Star talent across their defenses. 

The biggest issue with the Gruden/Mayock regime has been how badly they have fumbled the bag in terms of acquiring good defensive players. 

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

This. It doesn't matter who the defensive coordinator is if we don't have talent at all 3 levels. 

Robert Saleh is viewed as one of the best defensive minds in football and during their Super Bowl run the 49ers were 8th in scoring defense, allowing 19.4 ppg. And that defense featured Warner, Bosa, Ford, Buckner, Armstead, Sherman, etc. In his 3 other seasons as the 49ers DC they gave up an average of 25.1 ppg. For reference Ken Norton Jr's defenses gave up 24.1 ppg in his 3 years here and people viewed him as the worst DC in NFL history. 

You can deploy any scheme in the history of football and it won't matter unless you have talented players. When you look at the top 3 defenses last year, the Rams, Steelers, and Ravens, what do you see? Star talent across their defenses. 

The biggest issue with the Gruden/Mayock regime has been how badly they have fumbled the bag in terms of acquiring good defensive players. 

Agree with this (apart from I'm not a fan of Saleh and think that he's vastly overrated due to the aforementioned talent he had to work with).

We definitely need an influx of talent. We have a few lotto tickets at DT and some solid starters and rotation guys but we need a player at each level that can grab the game and change the momentum. Ngakoue could be the guy at DE but I'm struggling to see any others. I see decent to good complimentary pieces like Ferrell, Kwiatkoski, Mullen, Hankins but we we really need to hit on at least 2 guys in the draft that can make a big difference and not just be role players or complimentary guys.  

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Agree with this (apart from I'm not a fan of Saleh and think that he's vastly overrated due to the aforementioned talent he had to work with).

We definitely need an influx of talent. We have a few lotto tickets at DT and some solid starters and rotation guys but we need a player at each level that can grab the game and change the momentum. Ngakoue could be the guy at DE but I'm struggling to see any others. I see decent to good complimentary pieces like Ferrell, Kwiatkoski, Mullen, Hankins but we we really need to hit on at least 2 guys in the draft that can make a big difference and not just be role players or complimentary guys.  

In a perfect world David Irving and Cory Littleton return to form, Arnette lives up to his draft status, and Abram plays better exclusively in the box. 

On 4/9/2021 at 11:48 AM, big_palooka said:

Mayock is surely number 1 on his list. He’s not done a great job, although I wonder how much of that is directly his fault, and how many of the decisions he’s been overruled on by Gruden.

Either way, Mayock will be out before Gruden is. I think Derek Carr will be as well.