News/Info on current WFT Players

ARTMONK HOF

9 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I completely understand. And like I said, I'm not completely having Buyers Remorse. It is WAY early for both players and Forbes is playing fine for what snaps he's getting and the fact that he's a rookie. I just see Gonzalez going up against elite receivers and great offenses and doing well. I just want to see Forbes hang onto the danged ball when it hits his hands. He owes us like 3 more INT by now (not an official count, I haven't actually looked at all the plays again from Week 1- Week 3).

But maybe this is me unreasonably whining.

It's reasonable, but I also think if we had drafted Gonzalez he'd be our slot CB/#3 just like Fobes is bc Fuller & Juice were/are definitely established as our #1 & 2.

I tried to tell this to people everywhere I could, on Twitter and in here. That even though we drafted Forbes & Quan Martin high it didn't mean they were going to supplant Juice as our #2 CB. It always seemed like CB in R1 was a luxury pick & definitely DB in R2. I love the guys we got, I think they're great prospects but I do wish we had been able to or had selected different players, especially Mauch or Torrence in R2 over Martin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

It's reasonable, but I also think if we had drafted Gonzalez he'd be our slot CB/#3 just like Fobes is bc Fuller & Juice were/are definitely established as our #1 & 2.

I tried to tell this to people everywhere I could, on Twitter and in here. That even though we drafted Forbes & Quan Martin high it didn't mean they were going to supplant Juice as our #2 CB. It always seemed like CB in R1 was a luxury pick & definitely DB in R2. I love the guys we got, I think they're great prospects but I do wish we had been able to or had selected different players, especially Mauch or Torrence in R2 over Martin.

To be fair, both were luxury picks. Fuller has been one of the steadiest corners in the league over his entire tenure with us and BSJ was coming along just fine. They also had invested in Christian Holmes and Danny Johnson. I think the pick should've been Dalton Kincaid. I don't hate the Forbes pick and I won't pretend I really wanted Gonzalez but I would've much rather took Kincaid, Torrence and Dawand Jones in the first three rounds which I think all of us would've been happy with and were realistic possibilities. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

To be fair, both were luxury picks. Fuller has been one of the steadiest corners in the league over his entire tenure with us and BSJ was coming along just fine. They also had invested in Christian Holmes and Danny Johnson. I think the pick should've been Dalton Kincaid. I don't hate the Forbes pick and I won't pretend I really wanted Gonzalez but I would've much rather took Kincaid, Torrence and Dawand Jones in the first three rounds which I think all of us would've been happy with and were realistic possibilities. 

I never saw two DBs being picked in the first two rounds either. I try to give the benefit of doubt but I wasn't a fan of the picks. Or the positions maybe. Sure thought we needed TEs, Oline, LBs over DBs . Maybe the picks will work out fine. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I never saw two DBs being picked in the first two rounds either. I try to give the benefit of doubt but I wasn't a fan of the picks. Or the positions maybe. Sure thought we needed TEs, Oline, LBs over DBs . Maybe the picks will work out fine. 

Good question. I definitely remember it happening recently, but wanted to go back and find it:

We were the only ones in 2023 to do it, but... 

In 2022, the Bengals went S in R1 and CB in R2 (so they used a 1st, two 2nds, and a 3rd on DBs in 2022 and 2023). 

In 2022, the Bears used both 2nd rounders on a CB and S.

In 2022, Houston went CB in Round 1 and S in Round 2.

In 2022, the Chiefs went CB Round 1 and S in Round 2 (and then corner again in R4)

In 2022, the Vikings went S in R1 and CB Round 2

So it actually was pretty common in 2022. 

9 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Good question. I definitely remember it happening recently, but wanted to go back and find it:

In 2022, the Bengals went S in R1 and CB in R2 (so they used a 1st, two 2nds, and a 3rd on DBs in 2022 and 2023). 

In 2022, the Chiefs went CB Round 1 and S in Round 2 (and then corner again in R4)

I think he meant by us...like "I didn't see that coming" 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I didn't make that clear . What I meant was I didn't see US taking 2 DBs rds 1 and 2 .. That was a shocker. I would have bet anything that a LB, OL, or TE. would be one of those rounds .

• Like 1

Just now, RSkinGM said:

So we have a top notch back--in a passing league. Gotta be able to throw . 

I do like him-glad we got him .

I mean some of us warned of this going into the season. Just bc we had Bieniemy and Howell has better accuracy and a stronger arm than Heinicke didn't mean our passing offense was going to be this smooth transition the first half of the year.

Howell is essentially a rookie, our entire offense is learning a new offense so this is a work in process.

36 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

JP Finlay tweet 

Interesting situation with 2nd rd pick Quan Martin, who hasnt played a defensive snap this season (did miss a game w injury). Rivera says he's behind a lot of good players (which begs the question why draft a 2nd rd safety)

🤔🤔

Drafting two DBs with the way our offensive line, linebackers and tight ends look would be the starting point for "why I am firing you" for the entire staff at the end of the season. 

Who could have ever imagined that drafting two players at positions that aren't a big need would have backfired? 

I may have been more forgiving if they only threw away one top pick, but with the talent that was available (and already performing) and how we look at our positions of biggest need in the offseason, there should be no chance of reconcile. 

• Like 5

On 9/28/2023 at 9:46 AM, MikeT14 said:

If I remember correctly with the Bengals they lost Jessie Bates, so they took Daxon Hill, the S/slot CB from Michigan to replace him.

The difference in all these teams I believe is they needed at least 1 starter at DB, we didn't. 

And if we did need an upgrade, it wasn't at outside corner, we needed a slot CB upgrade if any at all bc Danny Johnson finished the 2022 season pretty strong. 

DJ Turner in round 2 would've been a CB I would've endorsed bc he's a slot CB.

I'm of mixed emotions with this. On one hand, Butz represents a great deal of my childhood and adolescence. I literally grew up watching him on Sundays.

OTOH - I absolutely LOVE that Allen has tied this mark and will break it. And he's a hometown boy so it makes it a bit more special.

Well deserved and I'm glad we locked him up long term. He just impresses me whenever I hear him interviewed and when I watch him on the field. 

Probably our best draft pick in quite some time.

• Like 1