Potential 2018 Draft Needs/Strategy

Danand

7 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

^^^ I’ll have to watch more players to fully comment. But I’m not a fan of a lot of the comparisons.

I mean Calvin Ridley to Julio Jones? It mainly speaks for itself but they have two vastly different playing styles and frames. One is 6’3” 220 lbs and the other is 6’1” 190 lbs. A much better comparison is Amari Cooper, they plays very similarly.

Jaleel Scott I looked at as well. I thought he definitely had an intriguing skill set, but he’s not Megatron. You’re either severely overestimating how physical Calvin Johnson was or are severely over estimating how physical Scott is. If anything I think a better comparison might be a poor man’s AJ Green. As he’s taller but not quite as quick in and out of breaks as Green coming out.

The only reason I don’t like the Steve Smith comparison for Anthony Miller is because Smith was a terror after the catch. As a small receiver he had an ability to impossibly break through near tackles like Houdini. I’ve only ever saw one other similar receiver have what I nicknamed “escapability” and that was Percy Harvin. Miller is a great prospect, but he’s highly technically refined. And he can make defenders miss tackles, but his ability to escape tackles and not just elude them is why I think Antonio Brown is a much better comparison.

I can’t really comment on the rankings much. All I know is I disagree with having James Washington and Marcel Ateman so low on the list. Especially not below Equimonius St. Brown. Both receivers are wildly more productive and also both are just flat out better in most every facet. Brown in 11 games this season hasn’t even put up 500 yards receiving. There is literally no excuse or argument for how he’s going to turn around our struggling passing offense, at the professional level, when he couldn’t even do it at his college.

Marcel Ateman is miles better as a prospect. Big, physical, good hands, better body positioning. I will give you him being 24 at the start of his rookie season being somewhat of an issue. But he’s a very developed player, thus it’s not an option for the Ravens drafting him because that’s been their struggle, to develop receiver talents. I think his age and speed concerns might drop him to the late 2nd to middle 3rd round, but watching the tape I think he has a 1st round level skill set as a red zone target and third down receiving option.

Thats just my two cents.

I do love the undertaking, I haven’t seen someone put together analysis like this on this forum for awhile. So even if I don’t agree with all of yours comparisons and analysis, I do very much love to disagree. If that makes sense.

I'm not looking to compare Amari Cooper to anyone after this season, and I like the Julio comp. I acknowledge that he isn't as big or physical but but his effect feels similar. Big time explosion, but if it feels so egregious how about Victor Cruz?, Cruz is a little like a smaller Julio.

I only said "half a Megatron", could definitely see the AJ Green comp as well but he isn't as refined as Green was and I think he'll test more impressively in most categories. 

Talked about how different Miller is after the catch. I think you're a little more into nailing down the comps exactly than I am bro, looking forward to yours especially with a guy like Carrington who has some wildly different comps out there.

I don't think I'd even draft St. Brown, it's a ranking of all the players I looked at so I had to throw him on. He has more potential than Ateman and his route tree is more opened up than Washington's at this point. I'm a huge Ateman fan, he can play on Sundays no problem and will have one of the easiest transitions of all the skill position players. I like him more than Zay Jones from last year and if he was as young as Zay was coming out I think he would go much higher like you mentioned. I don't think his speed is a weakness or that he'll test poorly but he's a long strider like Heyward-Bey which can make him work slower than he is. If this was a ranking for just our team it would look a lot different, I completely agree that Ateman does way more for our us than St. Brown out the gate.

I'm really thinking about moving Washington up though, he's young, great hands, more potential than Renfrow who is just your solid round 3 slot guy, but I'm worried about his immediate impact. I just think it might just take a year for him to grow and adapt. 

Yea this draft should be fun reminds me of some of the old ones. Looking forward to your take on these guys as well, opinion is all over the place with this class.

• 2 weeks later...

Draft Lamar Jackson please. It's the right long term move, and will probably pay off much sooner than anticipated. 

The all-around talent is ridiculous and he reportedly has the right stuff off the field. Really we should have no shot at him falling to our draft pick, but NFL teams often mess this stuff up. 

4 hours ago, paraven said:

Again, I would be shocked if the ravens go QB in round 1-3. Earliest I see is 4th round TBH. This team has way bigger holes then need at QB

Agreed.  Also, I think the FO likely views this team as entering a pretty sustainable window, thus they're likely to use all possible premium picks on supplementing the current roster (with potential for future clearly being important).  We've got a lot of young talent with the following FA this offseason:

Mike Wallace
Benjamin Watson
Ryan Jensen
Terrance West
James Hurst
Michael Campanaro
Brent Urban
Crockett Gillmore

Nobody particularly irreplaceable.  I'd be interested in working out a deal with Wallace (and letting Maclin walk), as long as its similar to what he's been playing on (maybe a 2/3-yr deal that looks like a 4 to end his career).  I think the team would like to bring back Jensen as a bit of a priority, but he shouldn't cost a ton.  Team would likely want Camp, Urban and Gillmore at reasonable prices as well.

Point is, nothing that is a dagger in terms of losing stars in their prime.

Two questions for discussion:

1) What are people's thoughts on comp picks?  I saw something today that's forecasting us at a 3 and a 7 for Wagner and Ducasse as non-cancelled qualifiers.  That would be absolutely amazing IMO.  Honestly, I would be happy with even a 4 for Wagner, but a 3 would be great.

2) Is there any reason to believe there's a non-zero chance that Calvin Ridley could be available for us in the 1st?  Maybe someone (or someones) tests insanely well at the combine?  Maybe some teams underrate him for his slight build and lack of prototypical height?  Would love teams in front of us to let this happen.  What's the lowest you would let him drop before you would say we should pull the trigger to trading up?  

1 hour ago, sp6488 said:

2) Is there any reason to believe there's a non-zero chance that Calvin Ridley could be available for us in the 1st?  Maybe someone (or someones) tests insanely well at the combine?  Maybe some teams underrate him for his slight build and lack of prototypical height?  Would love teams in front of us to let this happen.  What's the lowest you would let him drop before you would say we should pull the trigger to trading up?  

Ridley absolutely could fall, he's older and isn't viewed as a top 10 option. He's my top guy so far but I don't think there's a need to trade up for him, this draft is WR strong and we need all the picks we can get.

19 hours ago, paraven said:

Again, I would be shocked if the ravens go QB in round 1-3. Earliest I see is 4th round TBH. This team has way bigger holes then need at QB

Considering the positional impact of QB dwarfs all other positions, we have a QB who will 33 in a month, that said QB has already gone half of each of the last 3 seasons being completely ineffective at least partially due to injuries, and that a rookie first round QB would be under contract for 5 years.... I disagree.

Archived