How many times will the Jets trade up or trade down?

Big T

14 minutes ago, xrade said:

Probably not since I think they will be targeting the second best LB at 23 - Collins. Certainly a case can also be made for JOK but I prefer a 3 down LB. I can see JOK coming off the field in obvious rushing situations. So if Parsons is even close, I can see the Jets pouncing. 

Collins has been my guy since day 1. 

14 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Collins has been my guy since day 1. 

Yeah, mine too. But if Parsons is near, the war room will be scrambling. However, JOK may be more of what Saleh is looking for; fast rangy coverage OLB.

27:12 hours and counting. 

1 minute ago, xrade said:

Yeah, mine too. But if Parsons is near, the war room will be scrambling. However, JOK may be more of what Saleh is looking for; fast rangy coverage OLB.

27:12 hours and counting. 

JOK's size just scares me a little bit. Let's also not rule out Jamin Davis, he's a stud too.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

He is, but 23 or 34 might be a bit early. Just my opinion. 

LB really shouldn’t be such a priority for us that we choose one in the 1st couple rounds. Just isn’t a huge valuable position. Saleh hasn’t needed high draft picks in his LB or CB groups to succeed. So set up the offense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

LB really shouldn’t be such a priority for us that we choose one in the 1st couple rounds. Just isn’t a huge valuable position. Saleh hasn’t needed high draft picks in his LB or CB groups to succeed. So set up the offense.

Agreed, between Saleh and drafting Wilson it would be a huge mistake to take defense in the 1st IMO.  The priority is to SURROUND OUR QB.  Put him in a position to succeed.  Saleh can draft athletic Day 3 guys to coach up on defense.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I understand your viewpoint. I don’t necessarily agree and even if I did agree, I believe a CB and OLB is a need that JD wants to fill early. Saleh has a bit more say as HC vs DC, so CB and/or OLB may be high on his list of wants. 

3 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Agreed, between Saleh and drafting Wilson it would be a huge mistake to take defense in the 1st IMO.  The priority is to SURROUND OUR QB.  Put him in a position to succeed.  Saleh can draft athletic Day 3 guys to coach up on defense.

But do you think JD will select a RB, TE, or WR at 23 or 34?  I do believe OL will be one of the selections. 

7 minutes ago, xrade said:

But do you think JD will select a RB, TE, or WR at 23 or 34?  I do believe OL will be one of the selections. 

I think so also, I also think that it will be one of the two best RB in the draft ONLY they are still on the board. But if some player that Douglas, really likes slips to 23 or 34 that could change everything. There is no question a OG has to be high on his list.

59 minutes ago, xrade said:

Surrounding your QB includes a good o-line. I would pivot off my stance of wanting a DB early if it meant we could somehow get both Teven Jenkins and Landon Dickerson. That would be a nasty, dominant o-line. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

No I think it will be OL and then either CB/WR

And that is kind of my point. As fans, we may want certain positions to be filled first even if it is overkill. I understand that. The O has been ignored for so long especially at OL and WR that wanting 5 studs along the OL and 4 dominant WR is understandable. But the reality is that we need talent at other positions and it would be a disservice to the TEAM to ignore one side of the ball. Mac did that and look where we are. JD gets it. He even said so. Therefore expect iOL, CB, and LB at 23 and 34. Maybe even EDGE. I really don’t think he will be looking at WR, RB or TE until the third round. This line of reasoning kind of changes if we trade down from 34 to mid 2nd round. Then I could maybe see Pat F at TE or if a stud WR falls.

Edited by xrade

40 minutes ago, xrade said:

And that is kind of my point. As fans, we may want certain positions to be filled first even if it is overkill. I understand that. The O has been ignored for so long especially at OL and WR that wanting 5 studs along the OL and 4 dominant WR is understandable. But the reality is that we need talent at other positions and it would be a disservice to the TEAM to ignore one side of the ball. Mac did that and look where we are. JD gets it. He even said so. Therefore expect iOL, CB, and LB at 23 and 34. Maybe even EDGE. I really don’t think he will be looking at WR, RB or TE until the third round. This line of reasoning kind of changes if we trade down from 34 to mid 2nd round. Then I could maybe see Pat F at TE or if a stud WR falls.

It vastly more important for us to make sure Wilson succeeds, then to be a well rounded team right now. We aren’t winning a SB next year. So a well rounded team doesn’t help us. Setting up Wilson to succeed at a young age does. Go defense once he’s established early in the draft. We have draft capital next year. Mix in defense then. But ideally we get Wilson pieces immediately. Ideally for me that’s either 2 OLineman or an OLineman and a RB or WR.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It vastly more important for us to make sure Wilson succeeds, then to be a well rounded team right now. We aren’t winning a SB next year. So a well rounded team doesn’t help us. Setting up Wilson to succeed at a young age does. Go defense once he’s established early in the draft. We have draft capital next year. Mix in defense then. But ideally we get Wilson pieces immediately. Ideally for me that’s either 2 OLineman or an OLineman and a RB or WR.

I agree to a point. Whomever we have at QB should be given what is needed to succeed. No argument here. Hence my desire for a top iOL early and another in the third or day 3. Not sure how a part time WR is going to help much. You have stated the need for starters. Agreed. Any WR we select most likely won’t start. I can see a receiving TE before WR. And we simply won’t agree on RB. I think we can get a good player in round 3 and you want one of the top 3 drafted early.

So, with a better OL (assuming we get one by 34), three quality WR and a decent 4th, and a new rushing attack, that is more than enough firepower for a QB to succeed this year. Come next year we can get that slot replacement assuming we don’t get one this year. We can get a top RB to further expand the rushing attack. Maybe get that TE if our current crop fizzles.

1 minute ago, xrade said:

I agree to a point. Whomever we have at QB should be given what is needed to succeed. No argument here. Hence my desire for a top iOL early and another in the third or day 3. Not sure how a part time WR is going to help much. You have stated the need for starters. Agreed. Any WR we select most likely won’t start. I can see a receiving TE before WR. And we simply won’t agree on RB. I think we can get a good player in round 3 and you want one of the top 3 drafted early.

So, with a better OL (assuming we get one by 34), three quality WR and a decent 4th, and a new rushing attack, that is more than enough firepower for a QB to succeed this year. Come next year we can get that slot replacement assuming we don’t get one this year. We can get a top RB to further expand the rushing attack. Maybe get that TE if our current crop fizzles.

But my opinion at CB is similar to yours at WR. IS I'd bet that we still bring in a starting CB before the season starts (Sherman, Nelson, resign Poole just to name a few). So if we draft a CB... they might not be starting either. But it is a position you play 4-5 at. Same as WR.

As I stated... I won't be upset at all if we go CB at 23 )I think Newsome and Farley are worthy of that spot). But if we go D again at 34... I'll be beyond pissed. And for me that's too big of a risk. The D will be better on its own just by the O keeping them off the field. Invest there. Then worry about the defense.