How many times will the Jets trade up or trade down?

Big T

I fully expect us to move UP from 23 for an OL.

I then expect us to move DOWN from either 34 or 66.

In total, I’m thinking 2 or 3 trades. In general, I’m expecting a mastery of maneuvering around the draft board.

Building through the draft doesn’t necessarily mean tons of draft picks. JD definitely wants more than the usual 7. But he also wants to draft the right guys. I think this draft will show that balance.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

I don't expect Jets to trade up for OL in 1st round unless Jets have no plan for Fant.

I should expect Jets to burn 5thers to move into 4th round for RB.

You know what you can do with those fourth round RB , we have five years of late round RB. I am looking for one of the two top RB at 23 if they are still there. AND IF we are lucky enough to get one you will certainly hear from me on draft night.

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I'd love to trade up and get a player finally. But it's been a long time since we've done that early in the draft (besides for Darnold or Sanchez).

That all being said... I do think he will try and trade back like he did last year and acquire more picks if he doesn't love the board or values several guys in that spot. 

I'd have to agree with you, especially if some of the OL are still there at 23 and trading back from 34 if there are multiple players to be had and the value is there. If they trade back say from 34 and they pick up an additional 3rd rounder/4th rounder and could still draft Humphrey at C etc. Yes I can see it.

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Quite frankly we don’t need more picks. Grab quality of quantity. I mean we have 2 1st, 2 3rds, 2 5ths, 2 6ths. Next year have 2 1 1sts, 2 2nds, 2 4ths. At a point it’s about grabbing talent and not just adding picks.

I don't think its about how many they or JD can amass but the ability to stock pile say at CB or S seeing we could possibly be adding someone today to replace a player tomorrow. I mean if you think about it, how many of the CB's are irreplaceable? For that matter guy's on the OL? So if JD believes he can add a player to improve the team, a 2-14 team (as Parcells said "you are what your record says you are") then I'm all for it.

10 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

The Jets will NOT move up. JD loves his picks and will only trade down to grab picks. I think we are pretty much down on trading picls. The Jets are loaded with picks next year. i think the Jets would do trade down next year to grab more picks for 2023. So my answer is 0 times they will move. Now they could trade a player to get an extra draft pick but I don't see that either. 

JD was mentored by Ozzie Newsome who didnt believe in ever trading up. I'm assuming that trend will continue. 

Jets will trade down twice in the middle rounds (my guess is once in the 3rd and once in the 4th)

21 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

JD was mentored by Ozzie Newsome who didnt believe in ever trading up. I'm assuming that trend will continue. 

Jets will trade down twice in the middle rounds (my guess is once in the 3rd and once in the 4th)

Yeah. We have such a dearth of good players at key positions, JD will want as many picks to hit on players that can become starters (unless a huge talent falls for some silly reason).  Trading up is what should be done when there is a star talent in range and little need of much else. 

• 2 weeks later...

Considering JD's recent presser the trade scenarios are already in place. According to Douglas it is not a last minute thing, there are conversations way in advance of the draft. The only caveat to the trade up or trade down dilemma is who is available when they pick that will determine if they move up or move down. 

For me, if the Jets move down say from 34 and pick up an additional 3rd and 5th (just throwing out a scenario) I'm good with it. It could even be next years draft capitol. I'm good with it. 

Here's a crazy scenario the Jets trade up and throw in next years Seattle 1st rounder and draft Sewell. 

I could see Jets trade back into 1st to get Richie Grant. It would work if Jets successfully drafted Teven Jenkins at 23. 

Wilson

Jenkins

Grant

Most of Edges can be had in 2nd and 3rd as it is not a primary need for Jets.   I am uncertain about what would happen if Jets drafted Edge at 23.

Wilson

Edge

Grant? 

19 minutes ago, xrade said:

Grant in a fringe late second early third round S. Why in the world would the Jets trade back into round 1 to pick maybe the fourth or fifth best S?

WigglyWelcomeIndusriverdolphin-size_rest

You crazy.  He has been challenging Trevon Moehrig for 1st safety off the board.

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

WigglyWelcomeIndusriverdolphin-size_rest

You crazy.  He has been challenging Trevon Moehrig for 1st safety off the board.

I’m so glad to amuse you. Now, perhaps, you can tell me where you saw such a thing. The sites I visit have him as the third or later best safety. Jeremiah has him 3rd and the 54th best player.

Edited by xrade

On 4/16/2021 at 5:44 PM, JetsandI said:

I don't expect Jets to trade up for OL in 1st round unless Jets have no plan for Fant.

I should expect Jets to burn 5thers to move into 4th round for RB.

Another fourth round running back, I am looking at #23 or  #34 for a running back if the two or three I like are still there. Our success with late round RB has been so great the last eight year why not keep trying. Just think about me if we pick one at 23 or 34, because I will be thinking of you LOL.

33 minutes ago, xrade said:

I’m so glad to amuse you. Now, perhaps, you can tell me where you saw such a thing. The sites I visit have him as the third or later best safety. Jeremiah has him 3rd and the 54th best player.

No worry, it was not insulting.   Anyway, I am not ready to call Trevon Moehrig a 1st round prospect.   Jevon Holland and Richie Grant offer better all round skill sets than Moehrig but all of them are solid in coverage duty.  Unfortunately, Grant is 23 years old.  I am not sure if I follow analysis right but his 2019 tape is  that bad due to communication issue.  Grant is perfect for cover 3 defense.  Holland can do slot coverage.  Moehrig stays centerfielder.  All should belong to high 2nd round. 

Don't forget about Indiana's Jamar Johnson.  He is a popular sleeper for S class.  

1 minute ago, doumeyer said:

Another fourth round running back, I am looking at #23 or  #34 for a running back if the two or three I like are still there. Our success with late round RB has been so great the last eight year why not keep trying. Just think about me if we pick one at 23 or 34, because I will be thinking of you LOL.

??? It was like 2 months ago and how could you repeat the same statement today?

First off JD will NOT trade up and give up draft picks unless it is a steal of a trade. He is most likely to trade down and I think it will be pick 23 to the bottom say the Tampa so they can trade up and grab Harris. Jets would get KC 2nd round pick and maybe their 4th round pick.