Rookie watch thread.

resilient part 2

Go peep the efficiency numbers of the rest of the rookie PGs. His jumper is simply not good enough at the moment for him to be consistent on a nightly basis. That goes for other guys like Fox/Ball/etc. Look at other areas of his game. Has his passing not been improving? 

8 minutes ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

I’m curious. What are thoughts on Dennis Smith around here? It seems a lot like him, but why? Is it his athleticism or attacking ability? Does his offensive game concern you?

No one here has seen him as much as you probably but anyone who likes him I guess is basing it on his potential not his current playing ability the question is how much is it a rookie learning curve or how much is it he just lacks proper long-term instincts

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Go peep the efficiency numbers of the rest of the rookie PGs. His jumper is simply not good enough at the moment for him to be consistent on a nightly basis. That goes for other guys like Fox/Ball/etc. Look at other areas of his game. Has his passing not been improving? 

Passing is EXCELLENT. Turnovers are bad but that’s the one thing I give a starting rookie PG slack on.

As good as anyone in terms of getting to the basket - gets rejected at the rim at an all time bad rate. With attacking being his strength that is a MAJOR concern.

Jump shot is Lonzo Ball bad. Horrendous free throw shooter.

I know he’s 20 but my god these last few games have been some of the worst individual offense I’ve ever seen.

16 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Lakers winning so much without Lonzo. In the beginning of the year I said Lakers shouldn't start Lonzo till he earned it. People laughed at me. Lakers don't have a first. Had they sat that scrub the Lakers might actually be in the playoffs. Freakin Lonzo costing Boston my top 5 pick by not playing. :/

They were going to win with or without Lonzo.  He's the best PG on the team, and it's not even really up for debate.  It's him or Tyler Ennis.  The answer is pretty damn clear.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

They were going to win with or without Lonzo.  He's the best PG on the team, and it's not even really up for debate.  It's him or Tyler Ennis.  The answer is pretty damn clear.

Lonzo over Ennis, sure. But sometimes less is more. Lonzo takes 3s that don't go in while other defenders lay off. Lonzo is/was a lockeroom distraction as he gained all the attention at times (Lavar included) Don't underestimate the whole "it's all about Lonzo" atmosphere that can get under players skin. Lakers are playing harder now than ever. and definitely better than at any time this year. All without Lonzo. That can not be all brushed off with a comparison of Lonzo> Ennis.

4 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

Lonzo over Ennis, sure. But sometimes less is more. Lonzo takes 3s that don't go in while other defenders lay off. Lonzo is/was a lockeroom distraction as he gained all the attention at times (Lavar included) Don't underestimate the whole "it's all about Lonzo" atmosphere that can get under players skin. Lakers are playing harder now than ever. and definitely better than at any time this year. All without Lonzo. That can not be all brushed off with a comparison of Lonzo> Ennis.

You're literally making exaggerations to prove a point, none of which is really valid.  First off, Lonzo's shot is going to come at some point when he's an open shooter.  It's the shots he's taking with defenders on him that's the issue.  And Lonzo wasn't a locker room distraction.  In fact, other than LaVar's comments about Luke Walton losing the locker room it's been a non-issue.  And "all about Lonzo" atmosphere you allude to is non-existent.  They're playing to their talent level, and finally stopped backing down like scared little dogs.  Unfortunately, they need to figure out how to knock down their FTs.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You're literally making exaggerations to prove a point, none of which is really valid.  First off, Lonzo's shot is going to come at some point when he's an open shooter.  It's the shots he's taking with defenders on him that's the issue.  And Lonzo wasn't a locker room distraction.  In fact, other than LaVar's comments about Luke Walton losing the locker room it's been a non-issue.  And "all about Lonzo" atmosphere you allude to is non-existent.  They're playing to their talent level, and finally stopped backing down like scared little dogs.  Unfortunately, they need to figure out how to knock down their FTs.

I am not saying Lonzo created a locker room problem but the media the circus that comes with it and of course Lavar is the locker room distractions I was referring to other than that I guess we're just going to have to disagree on this one

3 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

I am not saying Lonzo created a locker room problem but the media the circus that comes with it and of course Lavar is the locker room distractions I was referring to other than that I guess we're just going to have to disagree on this one

Except aside from the whole Luke Walton comments, he's been relatively tame.  Nowhere near the issue that people thought he was going to be.

18 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Lakers winning so much without Lonzo. In the beginning of the year I said Lakers shouldn't start Lonzo till he earned it. People laughed at me. Lakers don't have a first. Had they sat that scrub the Lakers might actually be in the playoffs. Freakin Lonzo costing Boston my top 5 pick by not playing. :/

didnt they start off like 0-11 without him lol

Edit. Started 0-8. Currently 6 and 10 without him. 15 and 21 with him. Its a small sample size but their win % is higher with lonzo on the court.

1 hour ago, 49er pride said:

didnt they start off like 0-11 without him lol

Edit. Started 0-8. Currently 6 and 10 without him. 15 and 21 with him. Its a small sample size but their win % is higher with lonzo on the court.

It may be a small sample size as you said but the Lakers have won six of their last eight I believe with some impressive victories and I do think they are playing their best ball of the year as of now. 

Josh Jackson last 4 games...

@ MEM: 6-16 FG (2-5 3, 6-8 FT), 20 points, 8 rebounds, 1 block
vs DAL: 9-14 FG (1-3 3, 2-2 FT), 21 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block, 2 steals
vs UTA: 7-18 FG (1-5 3, 5-5 FT), 20 points, 4 rebounds, 2 steals
vs CHA: 10-14 FG (3-4 3, no FT), 23 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block, 1 steal

The 23 vs Charlotte were a career high. Kid is balling lately.

Archived