Pick 2 (37 OVR) - Landon Dickerson, Alabama OL

Kiltman

4 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I'll differ to you on timetables a bit then ha.

My point was if he'd normally be there 3 times, with the huge expensive sports facilities Bama has...being monitored and coached by a group of people.
Losing even one of those days could slightly hold back things or possibly even hurt. As in he's putting stresses on other parts of his body to make things easier on the knee like a lot of Eagles players seemingly have the last few years. 

Landon seems like a dedicated dude, not really worried about him. And like you said...this isn't as big of a deal. Especially for him as a IOLinemen.

Yeah I'm not too worried about his dedication which is another big part of it all. The fact that he tore both ACLs once is actually better than tearing the same on twice, which would lend itself to possibly some chronicity factor in there.

Why are you guys less worried about an acl tear on an OL, that is literally bending at the knees every single snap? 
I'm no doctor, but I would think an OL, particularly an interior OL, put a lot of stress on their acl's just about every snap? Start bent over, fire out of snap to upright, then use legs to drive DL that also pushing against them. That's a lot of acl getting used. I just don't see the logic behind why an acl tear on 325 lb Landon Dickerson is less of an issue than it would be on like DeSean Jackson or a QB. Wentz was never the same athlete after tearing his. And it's not like DIckerson is a stud athlete that would have lit the combine on fire.

Edited by Jeezla

45 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

That's a lot of acl getting used. I just don't see the logic behind why an acl tear on 325 lb Landon Dickerson is less of an issue than it would be on like DeSean Jackson or a QB.

Maybe cause you don't need great or even good athleticism to succeed on the interior.

I'm not NOT worried about his injury history though. I see no reason to rush him back to play. I think we all know he's a better talent and more imposing guard than Seumalo, but not sure why people are acting like he's chopped liver. He's solid and should be able to hold onto his job until Dickerson is 100% and then if he is demoted he would be able to get some more work at center and working on his snapping cause we know how that went early in his career. I also think Landon just has the body type to probably thrive more at guard in the league than center.

44 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Maybe cause you don't need great or even good athleticism to succeed on the interior.

I'm not NOT worried about his injury history though. I see no reason to rush him back to play. I think we all know he's a better talent and more imposing guard than Seumalo, but not sure why people are acting like he's chopped liver. He's solid and should be able to hold onto his job until Dickerson is 100% and then if he is demoted he would be able to get some more work at center and working on his snapping cause we know how that went early in his career. I also think Landon just has the body type to probably thrive more at guard in the league than center.

I agree with that and that's why I don't think he starts til November. Probly won't be healthy healthy until early October (that's 10 months from surgery), and then he has to beat out Isaac (or just wait for Isaac/Kelce/Brooks to get injured).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I agree with that and that's why I don't think he starts til November. Probly won't be healthy healthy until early October (that's 10 months from surgery), and then he has to beat out Isaac (or just wait for Isaac/Kelce/Brooks to get injured).

I'm cool with that. I know everyone wants to see him play and is getting excited with seeing him pancake dudes, but you don't take a guy with his injury history just to rush him back, especially not when you are projected to be one of the worst teams and you want this guy to play for the next decade. Seeing how injuries have been for us even if he sits early on in the season there is a good chance one of the 3 interior players will get hurt. Basically everyone on the OL besides Kelce was missing time last year.

18 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I'm cool with that. I know everyone wants to see him play and is getting excited with seeing him pancake dudes, but you don't take a guy with his injury history just to rush him back, especially not when you are projected to be one of the worst teams and you want this guy to play for the next decade. Seeing how injuries have been for us even if he sits early on in the season there is a good chance one of the 3 interior players will get hurt. Basically everyone on the OL besides Kelce was missing time last year.

I do disagree with you on interior OL not needing to be athletic. Look up a good interior OL in the NFL, I bet they had 40's under 5.2, 3-cones under 7.7, and shuttles under 4.8.
Brooks, Zack Martin, Kelce, Ragnow, Alex Mack, Rodney Hudson, Marshall Yanda, Ali Marpet, Scherff, name the best current interior OL you can think of off the top of your head, I bet they a had a good combine/pro day for their position (40 around 5.15/3-cone around 7.6/shuttle around 4.7/22-30 reps depending on arm length/vert around 29")

Harry Crider

Height: 6027 
Weight: 307 
Hand: 8 7/8 
Arm: 32 3/4 
Wing: 79 5/8 
40-yard dash: 5.25
Vertical jump: 27.0 
Broad jump: 8-6 
Short shuttle: 4.68 
3-cone drill: 7.63 
Bench press: 31x

Crider has a shot to be a decent C. 40 and vert just a little off, but good agility and bench. Could be our own middle-class mans Corey Linsley.

Edited by Jeezla

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Why are you guys less worried about an acl tear on an OL, that is literally bending at the knees every single snap? 
I'm no doctor, but I would think an OL, particularly an interior OL, put a lot of stress on their acl's just about every snap? Start bent over, fire out of snap to upright, then use legs to drive DL that also pushing against them. That's a lot of acl getting used. I just don't see the logic behind why an acl tear on 325 lb Landon Dickerson is less of an issue than it would be on like DeSean Jackson or a QB. Wentz was never the same athlete after tearing his. And it's not like DIckerson is a stud athlete that would have lit the combine on fire.

While it's not a good thing, it's worse for a position that cuts, utilizes sudden movements, and twists/pivots at high velocities with torque and speed while the leg can be planted, that's harder on an ACL compared to driving with power that recruit much larger muscle groups in the hips and trunk. You can rely on more of your body to block than you can to make cuts and movements that a skill position player would make.

46 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I do disagree with you on interior OL not needing to be athletic. Look up a good interior OL in the NFL, I bet they had 40's under 5.2, 3-cones under 7.7, and shuttles under 4.8.
Brooks, Zack Martin, Kelce, Ragnow, Alex Mack, Rodney Hudson, Marshall Yanda, Ali Marpet, Scherff, name the best current interior OL you can think of off the top of your head, I bet they a had a good combine/pro day for their position (40 around 5.15/3-cone around 7.6/shuttle around 4.7/22-30 reps depending on arm length/vert around 29")

Harry Crider

Height: 6027 
Weight: 307 
Hand: 8 7/8 
Arm: 32 3/4 
Wing: 79 5/8 
40-yard dash: 5.25
Vertical jump: 27.0 
Broad jump: 8-6 
Short shuttle: 4.68 
3-cone drill: 7.63 
Bench press: 31x

Crider has a shot to be a decent C. 40 and vert just a little off, but good agility and bench. Could be our own middle-class mans Corey Linsley.

Just looked up Yanda's testing numbers.... Dickerson was testing like an NFL athlete as a HS senior. Also.... Crider's testing numbers and size are basically what Dickerson was doing as a HS senior too, but those are pretty solid numbers regardless. Hopefully he can be a steal. I think Dickerson is kinda tall to be playing center. I'd love to see him at LG next to Mailata.... the holes they could bulldoze on the left side would be nasty. 

Wyatt Teller (one of the most dominant guards last year) coming out of college:

Weight: 314 lbs

40: 5.24

Vert: 29"

SS: 4.84

Landon Dickerson coming out of HS:

Weight: 306 lbs

40: 5.28

Vert: 27.3"

SS: 4.78

Teller had a great 3 cone. Can't get that from Dickerson's HS testing about that as they don't test for that for HS recruits.

But, Landon Dickerson has been an NFL athlete since he was a 17/18 year old and guys usually get more athletic after years of a college strength and conditioning. You can argue maybe he lost a bit of the athleticism with his injuries, but I don't think we really need to worry about that right now. 

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

5 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Good stuff. 

I liked what Landon said about his injury history and how he sees it.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-landon-dickerson-explains-why-hes-thankful-all-his-injuries

Kid has that right mentality. Hopefully this new medical staff can keep him healthy, but I'll believe we can keep players healthy when I see it.