Tebow gets contract with Jags

Chops013

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Is it fair to say that Tim has kept himself in pretty good shape over the last 9 years though?  It's not like he's going to come in looking like a 34 year-old Jamarcus Russell.  For a guy who is probably only going to play for a few months, his age shouldn't be much of a problem for him.

Fify

• Like 2

Sounds like Urban knew he was biased towards Tim, so he had Bevell and Bowen run the workouts and make the decision.

Everyone in the building knows—and it’s no secret to the rest of us, either—how Meyer feels about the guy he won two national titles with down the road in Gainesville. But just that wasn’t going to be enough to get Tebow a helmet, jersey and invitation to OTAs. Which is why offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and tight ends coach Tyler Bowen, I’m told, were commandeered to run the workouts Jacksonville put Tebow through over the last few weeks.

In turn, Bevell and Bowen, based on the improvement they saw from each workout to the next, and the shape Tebow’s in, felt like he could compete for a spot on the 53-man roster that Meyer will take into his first season as Jaguars coach. And really, at this time of year, that’s the baseline criteria veteran street free agents have to meet to get a contract.

10 minutes ago, pwny said:

Sounds like Urban knew he was biased towards Tim, so he had Bevell and Bowen run the workouts and make the decision.

Not good enough. He should have hired an independent firm to determine if Tebow is good enough for a work-out for a potential spot on the 90 man roster. Anything less is obvious nepotism, demonstrates complete incompetence as a decision maker, and is generally "a bad look." Am I doing this right?

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

Not good enough. He should have hired an independent firm to determine if Tebow is good enough for a work-out for a potential spot on the 90 man roster. Anything less is obvious nepotism, demonstrates complete incompetence as a decision maker, and is generally "a bad look." Am I doing this right?

Analytics would determine this was a bad move and we have one of the biggest analytic staffs in the nfl

2 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

No but I've done statistical analysis and the odds a guy who's never played te ever and hasn't played football in almost 9 years says he's likely not gonna be good

Now do the statistical analysis of the 90th ranked player on a practice squad. Let’s see how they compare.

We can’t know whether it’s a bad move unless you compare it to the alternative. So what’s the odds of the alternative. 

9 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

No but I've done statistical analysis and the odds a guy who's never played te ever and hasn't played football in almost 9 years says he's likely not gonna be good

I've worked with an NFL analytics expert. Analytics aren't going to care about his lack of positional experience. The coaches may...but analytics won't. But he has tried out with the positional drills and they think that there's enough there to give him a contract. Of course, he's on the outside looking in regarding making the team...but ANYONE just finding for a spot on the 90-man roster is. 

10 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I still want us to bring in Brock Lesnar to upset the normies.

I remember when Lesnar tried out for the Vikings.  He was a friend of Mike Morris, Vikings former long snapper and also a local sports radio personality.  That's how he got the tryout.  What ended up happening was that, even though he had the athleticism and strength to play, his complete lack of experience playing the game of football left him in a spot where he just wasn't going to be able to learn even the fundamentals, let alone the intricasies of the game soon enough.

The same kind of thing could happen to Tim, but at least he has played football before and probably knows a lot more than Lesnar did, even though he is changing positions.  Lesnar spent his whole life wrestling and never played football at all. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I remember when Lesnar tried out for the Vikings.  He was a friend of Mike Morris, Vikings former long snapper and also a local sports radio personality.  That's how he got the tryout.  What ended up happening was that, even though he had the athleticism and strength to play, his complete lack of experience playing the game of football left him in a spot where he just wasn't going to be able to learn even the fundamentals, let alone the intricasies of the game soon enough.

The same kind of thing could happen to Tim, but at least he has played football before and probably knows a lot more than Lesnar did, even though he is changing positions.  Lesnar spent his whole life wrestling and never played football at all. 

Lesnar was an absolute beast. If he would have started soon with football he would have been good. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Lesnar was an absolute beast. If he would have started soon with football he would have been good. 

Definitely.  He was an elite amateur wrestler, and he was probably the strongest guy on the team when he was working out with the Vikings.  It would have been fun if it could have worked out.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

What ended up happening was that, even though he had the athleticism and strength to play, his complete lack of experience playing the game of football left him in a spot where he just wasn't going to be able to learn even the fundamentals, let alone the intricasies of the game soon enough.

I 100% believe you that this is what the team believed.

However, I don’t believe for a second that monster of a man with the work ethic he had and the insane speed and agility he had wouldn’t have been a solid player if he got an entire offseason of work. He did his workout with the Vikings a week after getting into an accident on his motorcycle where he fractured his pelvis, broke his jaw and had a partially torn groin. That dude was straight up built different from even the elite of the elite in the NFL when it comes to just raw talent. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pwny said:

I 100% believe you that this is what the team believed.

However, I don’t believe for a second that monster of a man with the work ethic he had and the insane speed and agility he had wouldn’t have been a solid player if he got an entire offseason of work. He did his workout with the Vikings a week after getting into an accident on his motorcycle where he fractured his pelvis, broke his jaw and had a partially torn groin. That dude was straight up built different from even the elite of the elite in the NFL when it comes to just raw talent. 

It has been a while so I don't remember the part about his injuries.  I just remember listening to Mike Morris' radio show and he would give updates.  He said what I said, but he may have been more of the same opinion as yourself, pwny.  He may have just been too worried about offending people in the organization to be too straightforward as to how it went.

You're right though, Brock is an incredible athlete.  What could have been...