Saints 2021 NFL Draft Results and Discussion:

whodatworm23

Saints 2021 NFL Draft Results and Discussion:

Thought I’d open a topic that I’ll continue to update as the Saints make selections so that we can discuss in more detail moving forward.

Round 1 pick #28: Payton Turner DE Houston (6’5” 270 lbs)

This pick came across as a double whammy as a shocker to some as, A. Most didn’t view edge as a major need for the Saints and B. Turner himself was not receiving much 1st round buzz and was mostly looked at as a mid 2nd round talent making his selection at 28 feel like the Saints reached.

In actuality, Turner was valued much higher in NFL circles than by talking media heads. Rumors abound that Turner would not have made it past the 34th pick. The Saints obviously was a team that valued Turner’s skill set more than others as he possesses the prototypical height weight length combo New Orleans has coveted at the position during the Loomis era and becomes the 5th defensive end Loomis has drafted in the 1st round during his tenure as Saints GM.

This draft was seen as light on the defensive line so that along with the oddity of scouting in the covid restricted times likely pushed Turner’s value to the Saints up more as they looked to acquire depth up front after losing Hendrickson, Brown and Rankins this offseason. Turner himself as a prospect is seriously intriguing… at 6’5 ½ “ and over 270 lbs, he possesses rare athleticism and twitch for a man his size. His 84 inch wingspan is the largest of an NFL draft prospect since 1999 and his 6.70 3 cone was in the 99th percentile. This is a big time athlete with versatility having played on the interior and edge in college. He’s modeled his game after Saints defensive end Cam Jordan and now he has the opportunity to play alongside and learn from Jordan in New Orleans. When I first got into scouting over 18 years ago a former NFL scout that I know told me this about drafting defensive linemen in the 1st round, “when you draft defensive linemen in the top round, you never draft the player in college… you draft the player you think that prospect will be in a couple years"

The bottom line… the Saints have one of the best defensive line coaches in football and they just drafted a prospect that has the physical tools to be great. Time will tell but I’m willing to trust in the front office and in Ryan Nielson who no doubt had a ton of influence in this selection.

Here's a clip of Turner at his size vs an All-American left tackle and then the #2 overall pick Zach Wilson whom is known for his ability to make defenders miss... explosive, bend and length matters!!!

Round 2 pick #60: Pete Werner LB Ohio State (6’3” 240 lbs)

Height weight speed fit for what the Saints want at the position, fills a need and could be a day one starter in 2021. Surprisingly athletic who shocked scouts with a 4.58 40. A versatile player who played every linebacker position as a Buckeye and flashed impressive coverage skills and was a tackling machine in Columbus. Ohio State has become a farm system for the Saints and with the restricted scouting due to covid its not shocking to see the Saints go back to the well here with Werner.

Saints trade picks 98 & 105 to the Broncos for the 76th overall pick.

Round 2 pick #76: Paulson Adebo CB Stanford (6’1” 200 lbs)

First the trade… actually the Saints overpaid as far as draft capital for this move but I completely understand it. It seems like Abebo had been a mid round target for New Orleans and understandably so. The Saints needed to come out of this draft with a young talented edge corner and they got one. Adebo is long, athletic and physical. He also has the best ball skills of any corner in this draft and was a top 50 prospect on my board. A former converted receiver at Stanford, Adebo possesses a lot of similar traits to Richard Sherman when he was coming out of college and that had to entice Kris Richard when evaluating him. Also, speaking of Sherman… don’t be shocked to see him sign in New Orleans to start opposite Lattimore, reunite with Richard and to mentor Adebo.

Saints remaining selections…

Round 4 pick #133

Round 6 pick #218

Round 7 pick #229 & 255

Remaining prospects on day 3 I'd like to see the Saints target…

Bobby Brown IDL Texas A&M

Trey Smith OG Tennessee

Tyler Shelvin NT Louisiana State

Michael Carter RB North Carolina

Amon-Ra St Brown WR Southern California

Marquez Stevenson WR Houston

Seth Williams WR Auburn

Jaelon Dardon WR North Texas

Brevin Jordan TE Miami

Derrick Barnes LB Purdue

Jordan Smith EDGE South Florida

Tay Gowan CB Central Florida

Jacoby Stevens HYBRID LB/S Louisiana State

Ar'Darious Washington S TCU

Jamar Johnson S Indiana

Shakur Brown NCB Michigan State

WHODAT

• Like 1

I wasn't familiar with Turner going into the draft and was a bit shocked by the pick. The more I read on him the better I feel about it in terms of his rare physical traits. I trust our Front Office to identify DL talent as they have generally been pretty good there. So I'm now feeling more optimistic we may have gotten a quality pick here. Still a bit concerned about his production in college, but at least it looks like it was trending upwards in his final season in what was a very strange covid year.

5 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I wasn't familiar with Turner going into the draft and was a bit shocked by the pick. The more I read on him the better I feel about it in terms of his rare physical traits. I trust our Front Office to identify DL talent as they have generally been pretty good there. So I'm now feeling more optimistic we may have gotten a quality pick here. Still a bit concerned about his production in college, but at least it looks like it was trending upwards in his final season in what was a very strange covid year.

Just edited the post with a video, check it out...

His production in college is skewed remember because he played on the interior his first 3 years before trimming down and kicking out to edge in his senior year under a new better defensive staff that utilized him better. 5 sacks in 5 games.

Also... after the Turner pick, the final 4 picks of round 1, 3 were edge players. No doubt Turner was in that group. NFL scouts were high on him.

Yeah definitely like seeing that pass rush ability in that clip against BYU. All American LT and #2 overall pick at QB getting sacked. Wilson is a slippery QB and he had no problem taking him down in the open field there.

Also liked this play. The pursuit and athleticism to run with this WR to make the tackle is very impressive

For tonight I'd love to see us draft any of these guys:

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah 

Asante Samuel Jr

Kellen Mond

Elijah Moore

Tyson Campbell

Trevor Moehrig

Ifeatu Melifonwu

Jabril Cox

Tamorrion Terry

Anthony Schwartz

Rondale Moore

Davis Mills

49 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

For tonight I'd love to see us draft any of these guys:

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah 

Asante Samuel Jr

Kellen Mond

Elijah Moore

Tyson Campbell

Trevor Moehrig

Ifeatu Melifonwu

Jabril Cox

Tamorrion Terry

Anthony Schwartz

Rondale Moore

Davis Mills

I've been a big proponent of standing pat and allowing the draft to come to you, however... thats not in the Saints DNA and I keep replaying in my head Mickey Loomis saying he perfers quality over quanity and he doesn't feel his roster has a lot of holes.

If thats truly how he feels then packaging our 2nd rounder with one of our 3rd and 6th rounders could possibly get us back up into the top 15 picks of round 2 where a starter can be had and that seems like a more Loomis and Payton type thing to do.

Players they could target...

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah 

Elijah Moore

Terrence Marshall Jr 

Pat Friermuth 

Christian Barmore

Asante Samuel Jr.

Tyson Campbell

Teven Jenkins

Leim Enichenberg 

Landon Dickerson

Levi Onwuzurike 

Trevon Moehring 

Rondale Moore

Nick Bolton

Jevonte Williams

Kelvin Joseph 

Personally I think the Saints will get aggressive for a corner and trade up today with the target being either Tyson Campbell of Georgia, Kelvin Joseph of Kentucky or Aaron Robinson of Central Florida.

If it were me I'd target Asante Samuel Jr. but I think you gotta get up as high as 34 with the Jets to make it happen. Maybe pick 60, 98 and a 2022 3rd rounder gets it done but I'm not paying more than that.

14 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I've been a big proponent of standing pat and allowing the draft to come to you, however... thats not in the Saints DNA and I keep replaying in my head Mickey Loomis saying he perfers quality over quanity and he doesn't feel his roster has a lot of holes.

If thats truly how he feels then packaging our 2nd rounder with one of our 3rd and 6th rounders could possibly get us back up into the top 15 picks of round 2 where a starter can be had and that seems like a more Loomis and Payton type thing to do.

Players they could target...

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah 

Elijah Moore

Terrence Marshall Jr 

Pat Friermuth 

Christian Barmore

Asante Samuel Jr.

Tyson Campbell

Teven Jenkins

Leim Enichenberg 

Landon Dickerson

Levi Onwuzurike 

Trevon Moehring 

Rondale Moore

Nick Bolton

Jevonte Williams

Kelvin Joseph 

Yeah given that quote I don't see us staying where we are at either. I could certainly see us moving up to land one of these premium players left on the board tonight. Kind of hope we target and WR with our 3rd or 4th round pick and use our higher pick for a LB/CB.

I'm hoping for a deep threat along the lines of a Tamorrion Terry or Anthony Schwartz. Neither guy is likely to be a dominant WR for us, but could fill that Devery Henderson type role we used to have on the roster to take the top of the defense, which provides an impact that goes beyond stats.

Schwartz while raw and limited is going to be the fastest player in the NFL in terms of pure straight line speed. He has very rare elite level track speed. I think he has some untapped potential with a better supporting cast around him in the NFL. Very similar to Marquise Goodwin when he came out of college.

Really like Terry's movement skills and explosiveness for a guy his size. Reminds me a bit of a poor man's Randy Moss at least in regards to his size/explosiveness. He still has some upside that could make him a mid round steal for a team. Worst case I think he could be a nice deep threat for us.

Hearing an interesting comparison out of NOLA for Payton Turner... word is that Jeff Ireland and Sean Payton see alot of similarities between Turner and Michael Strahan when he was coming out of Texas Southern.  

Both have very comparable measurable’s with big upside coming out. 

3 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Well we got a LB with Pete Warner. Solid pick, but I would have preferred Dylan Moses who I think has a much higher ceiling, but there is also the injury history with him.

High RAS score again. Man Underhill called it, we really like that formula.