3. 86 - Wyatt Davis, OG, Ohio State

SemperFeist

On 5/3/2021 at 8:43 AM, swede700 said:

This pick was my favorite of the draft, as some of my earliest mocks, I had the Vikings taking him in the 1st round.  I even recall after last year's draft, he was on my watch list for the Vikings.  I hope it really works out well.  

Agreed, in September I had Wyatt Davis as a 1st round pick and the best OG prospect in the country.  Clearly injuries hurt that stock but kid has talent and when healthy can be a beast.  He and his teammate Myers I thought were very underrated in the draft process, sucks that I would not be surprised if Myers is a very solid center for Green Bay.

On 5/2/2021 at 11:48 AM, SteelKing728 said:

I hope he's better than Elflein. I remember reading that he'd be a "10 year starter" when he was drafted. 

Look at how that turned out.

I'm a fan of Davis though. He's a fighter.

Elflein was good on Ohio State, he was never as good as Wyatt Davis was.  I never had Elflein as a 1st round pick, and really the scheme switch hurt him big time because he is clearly not that athletic or not enough for a zone blocking scheme even as a guard.  Odd I wanted the Vikings to take Jonah Jackson last year out of Ohio State as a potential OG for the team, he started 16 games for Detroit last year, not bad for a 3rd round pick.  And Wyatt Davis is more talented than Jonah Jackson was last year.

On 5/2/2021 at 12:15 PM, SemperFeist said:

Elflein may have been had he stayed at center, or had Sparano not passed. 

Agree, Sparano passing hurt the entire offensive line group and set them back a few years as a unit without proper development and coaching.  Thankfully some of those issues have gone away but the lack of player development on the OL is still a concern somewhat.  Increase and talent always helps and they have a big increase with Darrisaw, Davis and Mason Cole being brought in.  

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 8:43 AM, swede700 said:

This pick was my favorite of the draft, as some of my earliest mocks, I had the Vikings taking him in the 1st round.  I even recall after last year's draft, he was on my watch list for the Vikings.  I hope it really works out well.  

My favorite pick as well but Twyman is a close 2nd.  I had us taking Davis in every mock draft I did including trading back into the 1st  when he was a projected late 1st - early 2nd.

• 8 months later...