NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

I got my first laugh of the day imagining Paton turning down the Jets three times. You'd think they would take a hint after one or two. 

Speaking of the Jets, that brings back old memories ... xD

DENVER—The Broncos' front office continues to rebuff trade overtures from the New York Jets, who persist in their attempts to trade a clothing-store mannequin draped with a Brett Favre No. 4 Jets jersey, Jets sweatpants, and a well-worn Southern Miss Golden Eagles ball cap for Jay Cutler.

"Look, we can tell that's not really Favre, okay?" Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels told Jets executives during a video conferencing call Wednesday. "It's made of plastic, it keeps slipping down in the chair, and that's obviously you talking out of the corner of your mouth. Jay's not on the table, all right? I gotta go."

The Jets refuse to drop their offer and have sweetened it with the addition of a dog in a Jerricho Cotchery jersey.

https://sports.theonion.com/jets-attempt-to-trade-mannequin-dressed-as-favre-for-ja-1819570642

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A Miami Dolphins football player had his left arm amputated Thursday after a car crash overnight. Defensive tackle Kendrick Norton was undergoing treatment at Jackson Memorial Hospital’s Ryder Trauma Center and his agent asked fans to pray for him.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/miami-dolphins-defensive-lineman-kendrick-norton-has-arm-amputated-after-n1026611

paramedics did it on site...

16 hours ago, vike daddy said:

A Miami Dolphins football player had his left arm amputated Thursday after a car crash overnight. Defensive tackle Kendrick Norton was undergoing treatment at Jackson Memorial Hospital’s Ryder Trauma Center and his agent asked fans to pray for him.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/miami-dolphins-defensive-lineman-kendrick-norton-has-arm-amputated-after-n1026611

That's just horrible. 

On 7/4/2019 at 8:19 PM, vike daddy said:

That's awful. From the sound of the accident, he's lucky to be alive, but it's still a very difficult adjustment that will definitely end his playing career.

• 1 month later...

Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan is likely to hit two impressive career milestones during the 2019 season. Ryan has 295 career passing touchdowns, putting him just five away from 300 in his career. And Ryan has 46,720 passing yards, putting him 3,280 yards away from 50,000 in his career. Considering that Ryan had 4,924 yards and 35 touchdowns last year, he should hit the 300-touchdown mark early in the 2019 season and the 50,000-yard mark late in the season, assuming he stays healthy — something that has never been a problem for Ryan, who is hoping for his 10th straight season starting all 16 games.

Ryan is currently 12th in NFL history in passing yards and could pass Fran Tarkenton, Warren Moon and John Elway to move up to No. 9 in yards this season. Ryan is 12th in passing touchdowns and likely to move ahead of Elway and into 11th place this season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/07/matt-ryan-closing-in-on-300-touchdowns-50000-yards/

And when his career is done, shouldn't get anywhere near the Hall of Fame, except as a visitor. 

He is one of those examples of the problems I see forthcoming in this current generation of QBs...people are going to look at certain QBs accumulation of stats and are going to argue about how they should be in the HOF because their stats surpass other HOF QBs.  Matt Stafford is going to be another one.  Neither one is a HOF QB.  Would I want either one of them as a Vikings' QB?  Certainly, but that doesn't make them HOFers.  Hell, Joe Flacco is probably going to pass Joe Montana in yards this season...does that mean he should be a HOFer too?  ;)

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

And when his career is done, shouldn't get anywhere near the Hall of Fame, except as a visitor. 

He is one of those examples of the problems I see forthcoming in this current generation of QBs...people are going to look at certain QBs accumulation of stats and are going to argue about how they should be in the HOF because their stats surpass other HOF QBs.  Matt Stafford is going to be another one.  Neither one is a HOF QB.  Would I want either one of them as a Vikings' QB?  Certainly, but that doesn't make them HOFers.  Hell, Joe Flacco is probably going to pass Joe Montana in yards this season...does that mean he should be a HOFer too?  ;)

This is why, IMO, tying wins the the QB, especially for this generation of QBs, is a legitimate stat. 

It helps weed some of the stat padding out. 

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I agree none of these QB's should be in the HOF.  If anyone does sniff HOF status, then, of the three, it should be Stafford.  He has meant more to his teams success, in my opinion, than either Ryan or Flacco...and Flacco won a Super Bowl!!

25 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Oh god no. Ryan has easily been the best of those 3. His coach robbed him of a super bowl victory, and he was a league MVP. It's really not even close.

That doesn't make him a HOFer.  I'll continue to argue that Eli Manning isn't a HOFer either and he has more passing yards than Phillip Rivers does (who I do consider a HOF candidate).  

I didn't say he was. If he wins a title and grabs a couple of All Pros in the back end of his career I could see him being a fringe HOF candidate. 

I was just saying that he's a better QB than Stafford and Flacco and really doesn't deserve to be put in that tier.

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Oh god no. Ryan has easily been the best of those 3. His coach robbed him of a super bowl victory, and he was a league MVP. It's really not even close.

I think Ryan and Stafford are products of the modern offensive philosophy.  They are NOT Hall of Fame material.  Yet, like the original poster mentioned, there is going to come a time when HOF voters are going to see a glut of quarterbacks who have gaudy statistics...better than Marino or Brady, possibly better than Favre or P. Manning...and, heck, Kirk Cousins might just be one of them!  What are they to do? 

If it's me, and I suddenly become a HOF voter, the quarterbacks in particular, are going to have to be guys that helped transform the game.  That's why people like Sammy Baugh, Otto Graham, John Unitas and even Joe Namath are in.  In more recent years, Elway, Marino, Montana, Favre and Payton Manning are the guys who pushed things forward. Those playing now?  I might just limit it to Tom Brady.  I could make also make an argument that Aaron Rodgers is also a product of the modern offensive philosophy, OR he is a transformative quarterback.  But, that's really about it.

But, you just know, that HOF voters seem to really like gaudy statistics...that's why Tony Gonzales, in my opinion is in.  But, you're going to see guys like E. Manning and Roethlisberger get consideration...I'm not sure either are transformative.  You're going to see guys like Philip Rivers and Ryan and Stafford get votes.  Brees, and Russell Wilson will get a crap load of attention because of what they meant to their franchises...but are they transformative quarterbacks???

I don't think it's fair to say that any player, much less a QB, MUST be transformative to get HOF consideration. Brees and Rodgers without a doubt are HOF players. They are doing things that no other players, even those in the modern gaudy stat era, are doing. Russell Wilson is an interesting case because he really is changing the way the position is played. He's small and efficient through the air as well as on the ground. I'd say he's more revolutionary for the QB position than Brady. Similarly, saying Gonzalez is only in because of stats is disrespectful to Gonzalez. He's the epitome of a move tight end, and set the stage for a ton of guys that came after him.

I also don't buy the era argument. There have been a ton of guys that played in this era, and the best ones deserve to get in. It's the same as the steroid era in baseball. They still played the games, the titles stand, and the records count. That era is a part of the game, just like the offensive rule changes are in the NFL, and both leagues should embrace it. The best players are still the best players in the era that they had to play in and should be judged accordingly. Not everything has to be judged by some arbitrary "good old days" standard.

At any rate, my main argument was not that Ryan deserved to be in the hall of fame, just that he is not in the Stafford/Flacco tier of QBs. His team has won because of his play. Outside of that miracle playoff run for Flacco, his teams won with defense. Stafford's teams just haven't won. The Lions have never won the NFC North.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

At any rate, my main argument was not that Ryan deserved to be in the hall of fame, just that he is not in the Stafford/Flacco tier of QBs. His team has won because of his play. Outside of that miracle playoff run for Flacco, his teams won with defense. Stafford's teams just haven't won. The Lions have never won the NFC North.

I do consider Matt Ryan in the same tier as Stafford and Flacco...he's just the best of them.  They are all products of the rules and their team success is largely dependent on the players around them.  Matt Ryan has had Julio Jones and a successful running attack and a good defense.  The only way Stafford is different from Ryan is he hasn't had the running attack or the defense to match what he had with Calvin Johnson.  Flacco (who is clearly the worst of the 3) had the rushing attack and the defense, but no stud WR.