NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, the Texans are unlikely to hire a defensive coordinator for the upcoming season. But with key spots still available on the staff, there’s a chance Houston will have to use the title. But the plan for now is to go without a coordinator.

Houston finished the 2021 season 27th in points allowed and 31st in yards allowed.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/10/report-texans-are-unlikely-to-hire-a-defensive-coordinator/

could it be the image of a dumpster fire is thinking small....?

@ET80

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, the Texans are unlikely to hire a defensive coordinator for the upcoming season. But with key spots still available on the staff, there’s a chance Houston will have to use the title. But the plan for now is to go without a coordinator.

Houston finished the 2021 season 27th in points allowed and 31st in yards allowed.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/10/report-texans-are-unlikely-to-hire-a-defensive-coordinator/

could it be the image of a dumpster fire is thinking small....?

@ET80

This is so weird. The Texans should be forced to sell, or they should be contracted. Hot garbage. 

I posted on Twitter that it reminded me of the Red McCombs-ownership era...and that they are trying to reduce their expenses as much as they can to get a better balance sheet, so they can get more value out of the sale that apparently seems inevitable.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I posted on Twitter that it reminded me of the Red McCombs-ownership era...and that they are trying to reduce their expenses as much as they can to get a better balance sheet, so they can get more value out of the sale that apparently seems inevitable.  

I think this has merit. Also, it is possible they are just badly run. 

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

This is so weird. The Texans should be forced to sell, or they should be contracted. Hot garbage. 

Sell? Yeah, I’d agree. Contract? Nah, the Texans are in the 4th largest city in the US and are currently the 7th most valuable franchise in the NFL (per Forbes):

https://www.nfl.com/photos/the-most-valuable-nfl-franchises-according-to-forbes-0ap3000000530683

As long as this sort of value is tied to Houston (despite being ran like they are) the NFL has little reason to disrupt the cash cab.

Besides, they’re not even the worst ran franchise in the division - that title would go to Jacksonville (32nd franchise in terms of value, for those taking score).

46 minutes ago, swede700 said:

As stated - Texans are too much of a cash cow for the McNair family to sell, unless a significant offer came in from a Bezos, Musk or other billionaire with too much money on their hands. The unofficial motto of the franchise is “faith, family, football” so selling Bob McNair’s legacy would be near sacrilege to those in charge.

When Bob died, Janice got full control of the empire - her first move was to give control of the McNair Group (the oil and gas business) to Cary McNair. Cary is smart, and has a reputation for being very business savvy and forward looking. By all accounts, Cary doesn’t really care for football. He’d probably sell before taking on this battleship full of holes.

The football operation went to Cal McNair - who is best known for playing video games in an empty office in NRG Stadium for 5-6 hours a day before checking out and going home (presumably to take a nap while watching Jake and the Neverland Pirates - sources required to validate this statement). Cal played OT at the University of Texas, so he clearly likes the game. He just doesn’t know much about it.

Moral of the story - there’s a McNair out there who could probably turn it around (or see the value in cashing out to Mark Cuban or Tillman Fertitta). But, we’re blessed with the dumb one.

• Like 2