49ers select CB Deommodore Lenoir With the 172 Pick in the 5th round

J-ALL-DAY

The Pick: Deommodore Lenoir, CB

Grade: C+

Why: I like Lenoir, but I wish he was more athletic. He’s a great straight line speed guy, but he’s not twitchy with his lateral movement skills. I actually liked his teammate, Thomas Graham better, even though he went at the end of round 6. He seems like a good fit for our nickel corner role if the lateral movement thing isn't as bad as the testing would say.

2021 Impact: Moderate

Why: He’s more of a nickel than an outside guy, so unless K’Waun goes down, Lenoir won’t see the field much on defense. But special teams is a different story. His aggression, straight line speed, and love for hitting makes him an ideal gunner for punts and great on kickoffs. I expect to hear his name often on special teams. 

My Thoughts: Knowing he’s a nickel-only guy, I don’t love spending a pick on that this year. But, I do like him as a player, just not as an athlete. He seems to be very much in the mold of K’Waun, which may be why they took him. He’s good in zone and less so in man. Loves attacking the LOS and hitting people and could do well on DB blitzes. Shark 2.0? I think the further away from the LOS he is, the less valuable he is to me.

What I Like:

• The aggression (he calls himself a hyena and has a bloodied hyena as a Twitter profile pic, cool)
  • Keeping the game in front of him and attacking the ball carrier
  • Run game support
  • Instincts trusting his eyes in zone coverage
  • Dictating the terms of engagement, he’s not huge, but he makes his presence known
Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 12:22 PM, Chrissooner49er said:

Glad we grabbed another DB, but I have no like or love for Oregon. 2006 is still too large in my Sooner memory.

If I can love Richard Sherman, you can get over it

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...