The Draft Class

onejayhawk

I would have put Denver at #3, ahead of Chicago. The Bronco's defense could rival the one that carried Peyton Manning to his second ring and this class will be an integral part. They did OK in the first round but killed it on day two. If this draft was nothing be Surtain, Devonte Williams, Meinerz and Browning it would be top 10. Day three will do a lot for their depth and ST. 

J

Pride often does film breakdowns of elements of the Chiefs roster. This one is on 6th round pick Trey Smith.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/5/18/22441822/kansas-city-chiefs-rookie-breakdown-tennessees-trey-smith

[T]here may be a shift in philosophy happening right in front of our eyes — one that may have started when the team started Kelechi Osemele last year. If you liked the Osemele’s power — and his ability to move people — then you’re going to love Smith.

I will throw in the name Kyle Long, who is also a power OG. Most likely, Smith will understudy Long for a year

J

Trey Smith at 10:35

Creed Humphrey at 17:35

Thoughts; Trey wasnt asked to pull, but when he did he was a monster flattening guys out there. 

Creeds tape is pretty flawless, even when he gets beat he knows how to recover and at least get in the way to slow a guy down. 

Edited by Chiefer
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 9:32 PM, onejayhawk said:

Trey Smith is at 10:40.

This was posted a couple weeks ago in a different thread. The format is like QB School, but for OL. 

J

Haha i remember why i don’t really come by the Chiefs forum that much

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Line Coach Andy Heck commented on the rookies.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/6/4/22519228/andy-heck-absolutely-expects-chiefs-offensive-line-to-be-ready-for-week-1

Creed humphrey

What I liked most about Creed was his intelligence and his leadership ability. You’re looking for those ‘alphas’ — those guys that won’t shy away from a challenge, that don’t feel like they’ve got to stand back while other people lead. I like his confidence and again his intelligence — whether it’s football smarts [or] social smarts. So far, he’s been everything we’ve hoped for in that regard.

About the wrestling background.

It sure seems like a lot of the good interior players have that in their background. I was never a wrestler [but] my brother was, and I appreciated watching those things. It would seem to me that just having a feel for leverage — and what do you do when you lose that leverage. Now we’ve got to reposition and regain that leverage — it seems like it would tie in nicely with wrestling. So, if you’ve got that kind of experience and that feel, it would stand to reason it would transfer to the football field.

Trey Smith

I do think that Trey has starting guard in his future. How fast that will come will be difficult to predict. He has all the physical and mental tools that you’d look for, and he loves football. That’s an indispensable quality. He loves football, he loves to compete and he’s an extremely physical person. These things jump out at you when you watch tape of him. Now, how fast can he learn our system, learn our techniques, really ‘quiet things down’ in there at that guard position, we’ll see. But, he’s certainly off to a good start and working very hard at it.

Cornell Powell has been named part of the Rookie Premier class by the player's Union. Clyde and Hardmann were honored the last two years. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/08/kansas-city-chiefs-cornell-powell-nflpa-rookie-premiere-2021/

[P]layers are chosen based on things like position, draft status, college performance and projected marketability. Powell’s selection shouldn’t come as much of a surprise as a receiver in the Chiefs’ offense is bound to become a star.

J

• 2 weeks later...

Those quotes are in the preseason offense thread.

Reid and hunt are big on loyalty, so I suspect LDT will start for another year, but even that is not given with the waves Trey Smith is creating. Three starting rookies in the OL--Smith, Humphrey and Niang--is very possible. Unusually, that is not a bad thing. These guys are all seriously badass.

Also in that thread is a discussion of the pass receiving corps. Clyde claims to have been focusing on his receiving skills. Cornell Powell gives the team a possession receiver. the other new face is Gray. While he is a TE in theory, I doubt he makes many snaps with a hand on the ground. Motion, slot, H-back, FB are all possibilities. Even though we signed a FB, Michael Burton, I would not be shocked if he did not make the 53 out of camp. Gray can do the things we got when Kelce lined up at FB last season. Gray may even be able to carry the ball. 

I look for a top to bottom rethink of the offense this season. In 2018 the full on vertical game was too new for defenses to cope. We still ahve that threat, but we need to enhance the game closer to the line of scrimmage. With this OL and the new receiving threats, the short and mid game will get more reliable.

Who wants to bet Cornell Powell gives Robinson a run as best best blocking WR?

• 3 weeks later...

Creed Humphrey is drawing a lot of attention. He was invited back to the Big Boys Club for a whiteboard session. The intelligence and understanding of the play concept just radiates. It has been said several times, but bears repeating. Humphrey was the best blocker on the best OL in the country and he was only a sophomore.