2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

On 12/21/2021 at 10:57 PM, e16bball said:

The problem with franchising him again is that the rules of the 3rd franchise tag make it close to financially impossible to do.

He would get 144% of his 2021 salary, which is about $18M. So if we were to franchise him again, we’d be looking at paying him about $26M next season. Which is unfortunately a really crazy amount for anyone but a QB.

EDIT: Actually, it’s even worse than that. The CBA appears to specify that one of the options for determining the amount of 3rd-year franchise tag tenders is “the average of the five largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position with the highest such average.” Which means his 2022 salary would be equal to the average of the 5 highest QB salaries this season. Assuming that means their “cap hit,” it would place his salary at about $28.5M next season.

Yes, that number is probably a little higher than I thought it would cost to franchise him. Still, this team has almost $60 million in cap and that is before you consider cutting Landon Collins and Mat Ioannidis could save us some money as well. So... really expensive yes... impossible.... eh. If it does not affect resigning Payne/Terry/Montez then I think they have to consider it. 

This team wins by running the ball and stopping the run. There's a reason the team is now 3-20 when Scherff is out of the lineup. He's gonna turn 31 next year so I think he has one more year before his play starts declining. We would be on the hook for another year and then we can cut ties with him without giving him a huge contract that would tie us down. 

Was Scherff worth franchising this year for 18 million? I think the answer to that is probably yes. 

3 hours ago, taylor made said:

Yes, that number is probably a little higher than I thought it would cost to franchise him. Still, this team has almost $60 million in cap and that is before you consider cutting Landon Collins and Mat Ioannidis could save us some money as well. So... really expensive yes... impossible.... eh. If it does not affect resigning Payne/Terry/Montez then I think they have to consider it. 

This team wins by running the ball and stopping the run. There's a reason the team is now 3-20 when Scherff is out of the lineup. He's gonna turn 31 next year so I think he has one more year before his play starts declining. We would be on the hook for another year and then we can cut ties with him without giving him a huge contract that would tie us down. 

Was Scherff worth franchising this year for 18 million? I think the answer to that is probably yes. 

Why would they cut Collins and Ioannidis? Especially when you consider Collins has been our second best defender since his position move. Before the move I thought he was absolutely gone but now? No way. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Corral has what it takes mentally. He is a really really tough kid. I seriously worry like Zach Wilson last year can he hold up. He would have a ton of work because of the system he played in. But he’s def a guy that players bought in for. And for all the well Howell lost his guys Corral Lost Moore to the draft and guys were getting hurt around him plus his injuries all year. He is a guy I think guys would fight for. And I think when you watch Taylor you see this team fight. But he has limitations. I think having a guy like Terry can speed up a development. But you have to protect him and he has to protect himself

• Like 1

Man watching Penn St And Brisker fits right in to what we need in this scheme to pair with Curl. This guy reminds me of Darnell Savage can hit and rangy just a tough football player. It was his turn to update man I’m really digging this tape every game is better then the last.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Why would they cut Collins and Ioannidis? Especially when you consider Collins has been our second best defender since his position move. Before the move I thought he was absolutely gone but now? No way. 

Exactly, it makes no sense to cut Ioannidis to make cap room and it wouldn’t even save that much $. If anything you trade Ioannidis to make some cap room so you can get a mid round pick back in return but I wouldn’t even do that.

I can go either way on Collins being back, I want him back over Scherff being re-signed as the highest OG in the NFL. That contract just doesn’t make sense for us. 

If Collins is cut you absolutely have to sign the best MLB available and move Jamin Davis to WLB which would benefit our defense a lot. 

Still, I’d rather keep Collins though at this point bc of how well he played as a hybrid SS/WLB.

Edited by turtle28

5 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Man watching Penn St And Brisker fits right in to what we need in this scheme to pair with Curl. This guy reminds me of Darnell Savage can hit and rangy just a tough football player. It was his turn to update man I’m really digging this tape every game is better then the last.

If we go QB in round 1 - which I think we should - or if Kyle Hamilton is gone. I could totally see us going FS in round 2 and them taking their best graded of:

1. Daxton Hill, Michigan

2. Jaquan Brisker, Penn State

3. Lewis Cine, Georgia 

4. Jordan Battle, Alabama 

5. Jalen Pitre, Baylor

Edited by turtle28

18 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Corral has what it takes mentally. He is a really really tough kid. I seriously worry like Zach Wilson last year can he hold up. He would have a ton of work because of the system he played in. But he’s def a guy that players bought in for. And for all the well Howell lost his guys Corral Lost Moore to the draft and guys were getting hurt around him plus his injuries all year. He is a guy I think guys would fight for. And I think when you watch Taylor you see this team fight. But he has limitations. I think having a guy like Terry can speed up a development. But you have to protect him and he has to protect himself

He also has the ability to run which will speed up his development. Also, his ability to throw accurately deep is just going to thrive with Terry. I’d love to have him just don’t think he’ll be there when we pick.