2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

46 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’m not watching it live, but will absolutely be checking it out once it gets posted on YouTube or something. The fact that he’s still balling out without Olave and Wilson is a great sign for him. 

Also, it looks like Smith-Njigba will no longer be one of my favorite little secrets. I think the Njig is up on that one...

He broke the passing yds record for the Rose Bowl. Right now 475 with 10 min left in the 4th. He would look good in B&G! 

Final stat line 37/46 572 yds  6td 1int

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

I think Stroud might be more gettable for us than the guy I’d want in 2023, which is Bryce Young. That kid, in my opinion, is absolutely terrific. I will be pretty surprised if, barring injury, he doesn’t end up as the #1 pick. 

And since I don’t think there’s any real chance we’re bad enough next season to pick #1, I’m not going to spend too much of my emotional energy on the idea of landing him. Perhaps Stroud will be more in our range. He’s got some tools, and I was really impressed that he managed to beat out Ewers to lock down that job long-term. I’m looking forward to seeing him challenged again next year.

We’re going to.have to trade up if we want the top talented QBS in any of the next 2 drafts. Sadly, I don't think the conservative Rivera will trade multiple firsts or players to get the top pick & that type of QB prospect.

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We’re going to.have to trade up if we want the top talented QBS in any of the next 2 drafts. Sadly, I don't think the conservative Rivera will trade multiple firsts or players to get the top pick & that type of QB prospect.

That would be a real shame if we wait until next year for a QB and have a shot to draft or trade up for CJ. and we don’t go all in. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

42 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Well ladies & Gentlemen that's why players that are expected to be first-round picks opt out! I feel awful for Matt Corral. 

What a crappy moment for a guy just trying to finish the last game he will play as a collegiate. This guys a gamer watching him stand up and put weight on it and try to like shift side too side it def looked pretty bad. Especially when durability due to his play style was always gonna be a question. This is a freak injury but one his play invites when your fearless. Hopefully there’s just a sprain of sorts but it looked worse. 

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Could that have been an ACL tear for Corral? This QB class just got worse. 

I don’t think that’s the ACL look maybe a MCL from the way his body and upper leg turned. When he stood up it looked more like he was favoring his ankle. But if his MCL he like moved his upper leg like left too right and his leg under his knee didn’t move with it. That could be a MCL which these days I think is the worse injury.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, taylor made said:

In the limited time Corral did play, he did not impress me. He threw an INT his first drive of the game.. It might have been his first pass of the game I can't recall. He has no special traits, I'm not sure how he wins in the NFL. 

I don’t think he has any elite traits but, he does have the natural athleticism/arm talent to develop into a good NFL QB maybe more. To me he’s in the Zach Wilson/ Justin Fields as a prospect. Athletic w/ a good but nit great arm, it will be a few years till he’s a good nfl starter - if he ever is - but that can be said of almost every QB draft pick in the history of the draft.

Corral’s first int was him trying to do too much when he was pressured and he threw up a prayer instead of just taking the sack - happens to veterans in the NFL too. The Mississippi OL was dominated all game by the Baylor 3 man DL and it was the difference in the game. They couldn't run the ball in between the tackles bc Baylor’s NT couldn't be blocked. After Corral was out they went to a short passing attack to move the ball.

The best prospect in this draft is Kenny Pickett, I trust E more than anyone in this forum on prospects. No offense to anyone but he’s been more right than anyone else here the last 14 years on prospects and Pickett has been E’s guy since October.

Personally, I think we take a QB this year whether that’s Pickett, Corral or Howell and we see how they develop this year. If we don’t think they’re going to be the answer we could draft Stroud next year but we’d have to trade up for him and I doubt Rivera does it. We can always trade the guy we draft this year before, during or after next years draft for picks like the Dolphins did with Rosen if we have a chance to go up and get Stroud.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The best prospect in this draft is Kenny Pickett, I trust E more than anyone in this forum on prospects. No offense to anyone but he’s been more right than anyone else here the last 14 years and Pickett has been E’s guy since October.

I like Pickett too but I'm not sure I'd call him the best prospect overall. The best QB prospect? Okay, sure. Maybe that is what you meant. E has highlighted a lot of good prospects but he was also leading the charge on Jamin Davis last year. It's still very early, but do we take Jamin Davis in a redraft? I'm not so sure. It's the nature of the NFL draft where any analyst will have hits and misses. 

If anything last night helped Pickett solidify himself as QB1. And Matt Corral has a greater chance to fall to our spot in that 9-12 range where we will be picking and that's not a bad thing. 

I hope Corral can come and compete in the combine, especially since he's gonna be auditioning as a RPO type QB. http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/216761/matt-corral Corral looks like a good athlete, but is he elite? Only the combine can really answer that. His size is below average.

So it's gonna be interesting to see if any of the 2nd tier QBs rise in the off-season to compete with Matt Corral as the 2nd QB taken. Right now, I think depending on off-season workouts Malik Willis or Carson Strong could offer greater upside at QB than Matt Corral. If Malik Willis runs a 4.3 forty that will be hard to ignore. If Carson Strong tears it up in the Senior Bowl with great medicals about his knee than you have to consider him as well. Sam Howell to me does not offer that upside to make him a top 10-ish type pick. Do you take a more mobile Baker Mayfield in the first round? Eh 

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think he has any elite traits but, he does have the natural athleticism/arm talent to develop into a good NFL QB maybe more. To me he’s in the Zach Wilson/ Justin Fields as a prospect. Athletic w/ a good but nit great arm, it will be a few years till he’s a good nfl starter - if he ever is - but that can be said of almost every QB draft pick in the history of the draft.

For me, I think he’s a level below Fields and Wilson, for the reason you express in the first 8 words of that post. Those guys had elite traits, loud tools that would jump off the video when you watched them. They both showed significantly more arm talent (especially Wilson) and Fields was also a better runner. For me, he comes with similar risk — in the sense that his offense/scheme pretty much lays it all right out there for him, on script, and you have to extrapolate significantly to try to decipher how he’ll translate to a pro passing game — but a meaningfully lower ceiling than both guys  

I would have taken both Fields and Wilson (in that order) in the top 5 of a typical draft. I don’t see Corral at that level. The question for me is whether he’s at the Lance/Jones level from last draft, which is a QB I’d consider in that 10-15 range. He doesn’t have the upside of Lance or the high floor of Jones, so I’m a little skeptical that I even see him there, honestly. But he does have some good traits, so I wouldn’t rule him out there yet.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The best prospect in this draft is Kenny Pickett, I trust E more than anyone in this forum on prospects. No offense to anyone but he’s been more right than anyone else here the last 14 years on prospects and Pickett has been E’s guy since October.

I appreciate that, my friend, but I do whiff a fair amount just like anybody else. Fields is doing his best to make me look like a dope at the moment, and I had Carson Wentz pegged as a future MVP a few years ago, as just a couple examples. 

But yeah, Pickett is my favorite in this draft. That’s just from what I’ve seen so far, but I don’t really see that changing. I think he has enough arm, I think he has pretty reliable ball placement, he moves well and plays well on the move, he’s competitive as hell, and his mastery of a more pro-like system suggests to me that he could play (well) early, which I think is important for this franchise. 

All that said, though...

He’s still just on that Lance/Jones level for me. He actually reminds me a lot of Mac Jones in a few ways, not quite as accurate but a better athlete. Probably some combination of Burrow and Jones, actually, especially given the age and the one year of good play. Which is a good thing — put a good offense around him, and I think he can make it work for you. 

But the upside just doesn’t seem to be there, and I think that comes back to the arm. You look at the guys who have emerged as legit stars, they’re pretty much all guys with the big plus arms — you think about guys like Mahomes and Allen and Herbert being on his way there as well. Dak and Watson don’t quite have the absolute Howitzer like those guys, but still big-time arms. And Pickett doesn’t really seem to have that, which really puts a ceiling on what he can be.

For me, assuming we lose to Philly and beat NYG, I’m thinking Pickett is the only one I’d take at our natural pick. But if I’m looking for a QB2, and I kinda hate saying this but I also kinda don’t — it might be Willis, not Corral. Like we talked about the other day, roll the dice on the tools and the upside and maybe you strike it rich. I think Corral is clearly the better player now (and so is Howell, most likely), but Willis has the physical ability to hang with those elite NFL QBs, and he’s the only one in the entire draft who can say that. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Corral’s first int was him trying to do too much when he was pressured and he threw up a prayer instead of just taking the sack - happens to veterans in the NFL too. The Mississippi OL was dominated all game by the Baylor 3 man DL and it was the difference in the game. They couldn't run the ball in between the tackles bc Baylor’s NT couldn't be blocked. After Corral was out they went to a short passing attack to move the ball.

Personally, I think we take a QB this year whether that’s Pickett, Corral or Howell and we see how they develop this year. If we don’t think they’re going to be the answer we could draft Stroud next year but we’d have to trade up for him and I doubt Rivera does it. We can always trade the guy we draft this year before, during or after next years draft for picks like the Dolphins did with Rosen if we have a chance to go up and get Stroud.

Even f Stroud were there at our pick next year, this brain trust wouldn't take him after taking a QB this draft.

19 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Even f Stroud were there at our pick next year, this brain trust wouldn't take him after taking a QB this draft.

Yep, 100% that’s why I told ArtMonk prepare to be disappointed. Rivera is to conservative to take the chance in the trade up to get Stroud.