2022 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

What portion of the draft will be picking?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What portion of the draft will be picking?

• Top 3
    • Top 10
    • Top 15

I’m all in on best RB available at the top of round 2, even moving up to pick 33 if that gets us the best one out there. I’m mixed on who that is, but it’s the position of most need for us. 

honestly I wouldn’t mind going all in on offense and take a tackle at 3, a center at 13, a RB in round 2 and a WR in round 3. 

id pass on Neal in favor of Ekwonu only because I think Ekwonu could play guard as a rookie if we needed him to. Have him and Howard battle it out and the loser plays guard and winner plays Rt. 3 is really too high for a guard but man we’ve got to fix this o-line before we ruin another QB. 

17 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Let's discuss prospects at 13 overall.  I hope Stingley falls to 13. I would take him in a heartbeat lol

I'm on the Tyler Linderbaum train - T might be set and G could be improved, so get a Day 1 pivot who can take on the mantle of being the guy down in the middle.

Ideally, this could be another trade down spot as well. The only player I'd personally stand pat for here is Kyle Hamilton (who I doubt lasts this long).

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'm on the Tyler Linderbaum train - T might be set and G could be improved, so get a Day 1 pivot who can take on the mantle of being the guy down in the middle.

Ideally, this could be another trade down spot as well. The only player I'd personally stand pat for here is Kyle Hamilton (who I doubt lasts this long).

Been reading most think Linderbaum is pigeon holed to the C position due to his size but he’s going to be a hell of a C

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Been reading most think Linderbaum is pigeon holed to the C position due to his size but he’s going to be a hell of a C

I'm personally done with this "versatile" OL concept. It usually ends up that they don't play either position well. 

Give me a guy who can't move, but is REALLY good at that position they're at.

• Like 1

• HOU
    Kayvon Thibodeaux
    EDGE Oregon

• HOU
    Ikem Ekwonu
    OT North Carolina State

• HOU
    George Pickens
    WR Georgia

• HOU
    Rachaad White
    RB Arizona State

• HOU
    Leon O'Neal Jr.
    S Texas A&M
    trade icon
  • HOU
    Jake Ferguson
    TE Wisconsin

• HOU
    Josh Jobe
    CB Alabama

• HOU
    Kana'i Mauga
    LB USC

• 2023 DAL 2nd
  • 2023 ARI 2nd
  • 2023 DAL 5th
Would be ecstatic with this scenario. Ekwonu at G opposite AJ Cann, and Rachaad White in the backfield. Traded down and out of the 2nd round but got GEORGE PICKENS IN THE THIRD and we'd have three 2nd rounders next year to go with our two ones. 

9 minutes ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:
  • HOU
    Kayvon Thibodeaux
    EDGE Oregon

• HOU
    Ikem Ekwonu
    OT North Carolina State

• HOU
    George Pickens
    WR Georgia

• HOU
    Rachaad White
    RB Arizona State

• HOU
    Leon O'Neal Jr.
    S Texas A&M
    trade icon
  • HOU
    Jake Ferguson
    TE Wisconsin

• HOU
    Josh Jobe
    CB Alabama

• HOU
    Kana'i Mauga
    LB USC

• 2023 DAL 2nd
  • 2023 ARI 2nd
  • 2023 DAL 5th
Would be ecstatic with this scenario. Ekwonu at G opposite AJ Cann, and Rachaad White in the backfield. Traded down and out of the 2nd round but got GEORGE PICKENS IN THE THIRD and we'd have three 2nd rounders next year to go with our two ones. 

It’s more likely that Thibs last to 13 and Icky is gone immediately after 3.

Has Icky ever played G before? Edit: Yup, guess he has.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It’s more likely that Thibs last to 13 and Icky is gone immediately after 3.

Has Icky ever played G before? Edit: Yup, guess he has.

Agreed, Ekwonu at 13 is essentially impossible, but I think I'd rather have Thibs at 3 than Ickey. I was thinking... I heard Caserio say in his press conference that we've got around $100 million in cap space for 2022. Maybe we could bring Clowney back! Clowney and Thibs! Even in the absence of a move like that, I just think Thibodeaux's rookie contract will likely be one  of the best deals anyone gets in this draft. He gets there consistently, more conistently than any player in this draft. It's one of the most valuable skills a player can have in terms of contract sizes. In our Lovie Smith defense, I want to go overkill on the pass rush.

But yea, as for 13, even if that was like Kenyon Green, or Zion Johnson I'd be fine with those guys, they'd probably be there. Or maybe Garrett Wilson falls, or Derek Stingley. My guess is that someone who isn't supposed to be there at 13 likely will be, and I think we ought to draft whichever player that is barring a really strong offer to trade down. 

Also just want to add, Jake Ferguson seems like an awesome compliment to Brevin Jordan, and a likely upgrade over Pharaoh Brown.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

Agreed, Ekwonu at 13 is essentially impossible, but I think I'd rather have Thibs at 3 than Ickey. I was thinking... I heard Caserio say in his press conference that we've got around $100 million in cap space for 2022. Maybe we could bring Clowney back! Clowney and Thibs! Even in the absence of a move like that, I just think Thibodeaux's rookie contract will likely be one  of the best deals anyone gets in this draft. He gets there consistently, more conistently than any player in this draft. It's one of the most valuable skills a player can have in terms of contract sizes. In our Lovie Smith defense, I want to go overkill on the pass rush.

But yea, as for 13, even if that was like Kenyon Green, or Zion Johnson I'd be fine with those guys, they'd probably be there. Or maybe Garrett Wilson falls, or Derek Stingley. My guess is that someone who isn't supposed to be there at 13 likely will be, and I think we ought to draft whichever player that is barring a really strong offer to trade down. 

Also just want to add, Jake Ferguson seems like an awesome compliment to Brevin Jordan, and a likely upgrade over Pharaoh Brown.

I’m good with thibs but I’m a not on Clowney. We have Greenard playing the other DE and those two would be plenty of pass rush. 

If we really are going for need in the draft, it’s definitely on defense. I’ve been advocating for an offensive draft because I want to give mills the best chance to succeed but we have huge holes on defense for sure. 

we need a DE opposite Greenard. I think Collins, Lopez, Blacklock are fine at DT for this year. Linebacker is kind of a mess. The secondary is downright awful. 

If we were to go defense, which I know the motto is BPA, but the problem with speculating on that is we have no idea what Caserio draft board looks like, so I’m gonna speculate going defense  with our first 3 picks  

I like Hamilton but I don’t really love Hamilton at 3. I’d prefer to trade down from 3 and get some extra picks. Thibs is a guy I’d want to grab. 

someone might want to trade up a few spots to grab Ekwonu or take a QB way higher than they should. We could drop down and potentially still get Hamilton or Thibs. 

I wouldnt mind Sauce Gardner at 13 or Nakobe Dean/ Devin Lloyd 

there are several safeties that should be there at the top of the 2nd round. 

we really need to come away with 3-4 long term starters from this draft class. 

We haven’t considered this at all but we could package 13 and 37 and move back into the top 8 if a guy we love was falling. Lots to consider here. 

I wouldn’t be shocked though if Caserio doesn’t move way down and try and grab another 1st for next year. 

when you have an uncertain QB situation, having three 1sts in next years draft would almost guarantee the draft Capitol to move up and get a QB, especially since chances are that if we need a QB in next years draft, we are probably in the top 10 already. 

15 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I’m good with thibs but I’m a not on Clowney. We have Greenard playing the other DE and those two would be plenty of pass rush. 

I'm not as high on Greenard as the rest of Texans fans and media seem to be. I definitely think he's a good player, and a capable starter, but I also don't think we should crown him as like a blue chip, cornerstone type player. In this day and age, I kind of want a freak out there on the edge. 

10 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Linebacker is kind of a mess. The secondary is downright awful. 

I feel about these two groups similarly to the way I feel about Greenard, and honestly the whole team. I'd really like to see the Texans re-sign KG, but even without him I think we've actually got a group of capable LBs. I really like Reeves-Maybin who we just picked up, he seems like a great fit. Also, I feel like the secondary was really coming into its own at the end of last season and most of those guys are returning. Tavierre Thomas was rock solid IMO. Desmond King was good, Lonnie Johnson was even playing pretty well toward the end there. Again, we definitely stand to improve in the secondary, just like in the LB corps, and at basically every other position on the team BUT that doesn't mean the players we have on the team aren't good. 

One of the main reasons I want to lean toward defense in the draft is because I feel like Lovie's defense requires SPECIAL players at certain positions (basically all along the DL and at LB if my understanding is correct). I feel like we can find CBs and Safeties who can flourish in this system in the later rounds/FA. 

18 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I wouldnt mind Sauce Gardner at 13 or Nakobe Dean/ Devin Lloyd 

I also wouldn't mind Gardner at 13, but I'd much prefer Nakobe Dean. Not because Dean is a better player.. in fact Gardner is probably the better player, but I think our defense needs a GENERAL at MLB, and Dean is my favorite player in this draft to occupy that role for us. 

On 3/18/2022 at 7:00 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

13 is the perfect time to draft a WR in this draft. 

Caserio needs to surround Mills with more talent and 13 would be a good spot to get him someone else to throw to. To find out whether or not Mills can be the guy, they need to get him more help ASAP. So far this off-season Caserio hasn’t really done anything to improve Mills’ situation and that needs to change at the draft, if not sooner (side note: it would have been great if the Texans could have sent their 2023 6th round pick to the Rams for Robert Woods instead of the Jets for Blake Cashman) Adding someone like Breece Hall on day 2 would also go a long way. The bulk of carries in 2022 need to be going to someone under 30 years old with fresh legs.