2022 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

What portion of the draft will be picking?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What portion of the draft will be picking?

• Top 3
    • Top 10
    • Top 15

15 hours ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

Maybe we could bring Clowney back! Clowney and Thibs!

no way do not want GIF by CBC

I’ve seen enough of Clowney to know I don’t want him back. He’s better now in Cleveland than he was in Houston, but I know that he could quickly turn back into the guy who loafed on the field and took bad penalties in the worst moments.

Hard pass on Clowney…

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

that's not how i remember it.. 

https://(space)www.(space)youtube.com/watch?v=bppZnatr_wQ

There are highlight reels that show David Johnson as a great RB. Doesn’t mean he was, just means somebody can cut up tape to make him look better than he is.

The only time Clowney looked the part over the course of a season was 2016, IIRC - and even then, he had some really dumb plays that nearly cost the team games.

Edit: Holy hell, it’s just one play. I can find one play where Max Scharping looked like Quentin Nelson - doesn’t mean a thing.

2 minutes ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

He was consistently among the best run defenders on planet earth. I know I wasn't posting on here  throughout the Clowney years but, I'm sorry that dude was awesome. I'll take Clowney over Greenard 10 times out of 10. 

He was a one trick pony - he set the edge very well, but that’s it. I’ll let someone else pay Ferrari prices for a Toyota Camry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

He was a one trick pony - he set the edge very well, but that’s it. I’ll let someone else pay Ferrari prices for a Toyota Camry.

His contracts have been very reasonable. Last year he was on a great deal for the Browns (because in 2020 he missed a lot of time due to injuries). He only made $8 million and performed at a very high level. Even coming off a great year, reports are that the Browns are offering him to return at 2 years 24 million, which is very reasonable. He might be able to get more with another team, but still let’s not make act like he is out here commanding $50+ million in guaranteed money.

Clowney was “disappointing” in Houston because of the expectations of the number one overall pick, but he turned into a really good player after BOB almost ruined his career by making him play on a knee that needed microfracture surgery his rookie year.

He leaves something to be desired when it comes to his overall sack numbers, but he racks up pressures and hits consistently and is terrific against the run. Yes, he has some bad offsides from time to time but he more than makes up for it. Just like Tunsil with his false starts, they are frustrating but he is still a great tackle at the end of the day. Clowney has his flaws, but his overall production definitely is worth his going rate. If the Texans were to sign him for 2 years/$24 million, it’d be a great deal.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Marco79 said:

Yes, he has some bad offsides from time to time but he more than makes up for it.

He once drew a 15 yard penalty in a game where he was inactive. 

I could live with the occasional offsides, if it was just an occasional offsides (and it improved, much like how Tunsil improved). I never saw that improvement from Clowney.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Marco79 said:

His contracts have been very reasonable. Last year he was on a great deal for the Browns (because in 2020 he missed a lot of time due to injuries). He only made $8 million and performed at a very high level. Even coming off a great year, reports are that the Browns are offering him to return at 2 years 24 million, which is very reasonable. He might be able to get more with another team, but still let’s not make act like he is out here commanding $50+ million in guaranteed money.

Clowney was “disappointing” in Houston because of the expectations of the number one overall pick, but he turned into a really good player after BOB almost ruined his career by making him play on a knee that needed microfracture surgery his rookie year.

He leaves something to be desired when it comes to his overall sack numbers, but he racks up pressures and hits consistently and is terrific against the run. Yes, he has some bad offsides from time to time but he more than makes up for it. Just like Tunsil with his false starts, they are frustrating but he is still a great tackle at the end of the day. Clowney has his flaws, but his overall production definitely is worth his going rate. If the Texans were to sign him for 2 years/$24 million, it’d be a great deal.

This is still the same guy who had zero sacks with Tennessee after having a $20 million contract demand. He's never had a double digit sack season. He hasn't played in a full season since 2017. Clowney is a great run defender and a decent pass rusher. His best work has been done when there was someone else on the line to take away pressure (Watt, Garrett). His worst seasons came when he was depended on to be "the guy". He's going to follow the money, which there's nothing wrong with that, but we're rebuilding and he wouldn't be a good fit. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

This is still the same guy who had zero sacks with Tennessee after having a $20 million contract demand. He's never had a double digit sack season. He hasn't played in a full season since 2017. Clowney is a great run defender and a decent pass rusher. His best work has been done when there was someone else on the line to take away pressure (Watt, Garrett). His worst seasons came when he was depended on to be "the guy". He's going to follow the money, which there's nothing wrong with that, but we're rebuilding and he wouldn't be a good fit. 

I’m not saying the Texans should sign him, I’m just saying his contract isn’t going to be astronomical and if he signs somewhere for 2years/24 million that’s a good deal for any team. And yes, he missed half the season with the Titans due to injuries and wasn’t good. Injury concerns will always be why he doesn’t command a very lucrative deal, but if he gets a deal at about 12 mil AAV (which would put him around the 20-25th highest paid DEs in the league) and stays healthy for the majority of the year he’s more than worth it. His contracts haven’t been paying him to be the “guy”, so it’s not really fair to knock him for not being the “guy” when he’s not paid to be, but for what it’s worth, in 2017, Watt missed 11 games and Clowney had just as good of a year as he did in 2018 when they both played a full season.

Also to your last point, I don’t see why you think he would just follow the money. Historically, if anything he wants a chance to win, which is why he has settled for lesser deals from contenders. Remember they tried to trade a Clowney to the Dolphins originally as part of the Tunsil package but he didn’t want to go because he didn’t want to be part of a rebuild.

If Clowney signs for 5 years/$80 million to play for a rebuilding team I’ll take back what I said, but if he’s signing a short term deal at roughly 12 mil/season, that’s great value. At the end of the day, he’s a great player when healthy. That’s all I’m saying.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marco79 said:

If he’s signing a short term deal at roughly 12 mil/season, that’s great value. At the end of the day, he’s a great player when healthy. That’s all I’m saying.

that's also all I'm saying

5 hours ago, LORK88 said:

but we're rebuilding and he wouldn't be a good fit. 

Maybe not in terms of motivation, but schematically I feel like Lovie could probably put Clowney in position to dominate pretty regularly. 

Edited by PAtexansFAN_99

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

He once drew a 15 yard penalty in a game where he was inactive. 

I could live with the occasional offsides, if it was just an occasional offsides (and it improved, much like how Tunsil improved). I never saw that improvement from Clowney.

This is true 😂😂😂😂😂

7 hours ago, Marco79 said:

I’m not saying the Texans should sign him, I’m just saying his contract isn’t going to be astronomical and if he signs somewhere for 2years/24 million that’s a good deal for any team. And yes, he missed half the season with the Titans due to injuries and wasn’t good. Injury concerns will always be why he doesn’t command a very lucrative deal, but if he gets a deal at about 12 mil AAV (which would put him around the 20-25th highest paid DEs in the league) and stays healthy for the majority of the year he’s more than worth it. His contracts haven’t been paying him to be the “guy”, so it’s not really fair to knock him for not being the “guy” when he’s not paid to be, but for what it’s worth, in 2017, Watt missed 11 games and Clowney had just as good of a year as he did in 2018 when they both played a full season.

Also to your last point, I don’t see why you think he would just follow the money. Historically, if anything he wants a chance to win, which is why he has settled for lesser deals from contenders. Remember they tried to trade a Clowney to the Dolphins originally as part of the Tunsil package but he didn’t want to go because he didn’t want to be part of a rebuild.

If Clowney signs for 5 years/$80 million to play for a rebuilding team I’ll take back what I said, but if he’s signing a short term deal at roughly 12 mil/season, that’s great value. At the end of the day, he’s a great player when healthy. That’s all I’m saying.

Too many "ifs" around Clowney and that's been the issue. $12 million per year isn't bad, but you're running the risk that he won't stay healthy or won't perform. Keep in mind, this is the same guy that said he wanted $20 million per year. He finally settled with the Titans for about $12 million. After that season, he had to take a contract offer from the Browns for a max value of $10 million because there wasn't a ton of interest. I've never once heard him say he's motivated to win a championship, he seems only motivated by money. I don't think a team will give him more than a 1-2 year deal because of this which is why you won't see him get a 5 year deal anywhere. Clowney to me is a mercenary; he'll go to the highest bidder, perform well, and move on. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't fit the MO of this team and where we're at. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

that's also all I'm saying

Maybe not in terms of motivation, but schematically I feel like Lovie could probably put Clowney in position to dominate pretty regularly. 

I'd rather take a pass rusher with one of our 1st round picks and let Lovie develop him. 7-8 years younger, much cheaper contract, and much more potential as a pass rusher. The 3rd overall pick should get around 4 years, $35 million while the 13th overall pick gets around 4 years, $17 million. I'd much rather have Thibodaux or Jermaine Johnson at this point. 

• Like 1