2021 Rookie Talk

DreamKid

8 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

It’s times like this that I wish I was an active member of the Twitter community

Don't ever wish that upon yourself. 

Oweh is doing good right now. As you mentioned earlier in this thread, if he can get into that 10-12 Sack range- he'll have a shot. He's been good against the run and has some game defining plays like the Chiefs FF/FR & now the Bridgewater KO QBH(builds lore) under his belt, will probably have more by season's end too. That'll definitely give him a shot against Parsons. Chase Young pulled DROY with just 7.5 Sacks, crazy how much more Odafe is going to have to do. 

Oweh was supposed to be our project Rookie 🤷‍♂️.

All 👀s on the true hype pick Rookie now, Bateman SZN coming soon.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Don't ever wish that upon yourself. 

Oweh is doing good right now. As you mentioned earlier in this thread, if he can get into that 10-12 Sack range- he'll have a shot. He's been good against the run and has some game defining plays like the Chiefs FF/FR & now the Bridgewater KO QBH(builds lore) under his belt, will probably have more by season's end too. That'll definitely give him a shot against Parsons. Chase Young pulled DROY with just 7.5 Sacks, crazy how much more Odafe is going to have to do. 

Oweh was supposed to be our project Rookie 🤷‍♂️.

All 👀s on the true hype pick Rookie now, Bateman SZN coming soon.

Speaking of Bateman, I wonder if Lamar might be able to have a better (more consistent/natural) connection with him deep than he does Hollywood.

I was just thinking about the timing that Flacco never was able to develop with his deep ball to Torrey Smith (though DPI was MVP status), yet some of the WR with more consistent speed he was more able to match deep more consistently, such as Derrick Mason, Steve Smith, etc.

It’ll be interesting to see what Lamar/Bateman’s natural connection looks like. Lamar just always had a natural connection with Andrews and not Hurst. Will be interesting to see if Bateman presents a more natural fit with Lamar than Hollywood has been able to do, to this point.

Either way Hollywood has had some moments where he needs a breather on the sideline and perhaps the role for Bateman could be to be our backup deep threat. Let Duv/Pro eat on those short passes to the sticks and Watkins continue to eat on those short to intermediate routes. While Bateman can give both Watkins and Hollywood a breather to keep them fresh and just focus on those deep to intermediate type routes.

• Like 1

This is key. Four straight games where he's been a Top 3 or 5 defensive contributor for us.

Week 1: Sack to force FG before half, uncalled hold which prevented Sack that would've ended game in regulation, QBH on OT RZ INT

Week 2: QBH that forced the INT, Game Winning FF & FR on CEH

Week 3: Multiple pressures

Week 4: Drive ending 3rd Down Sack, QBH that removed Bridgewater from game

Multiple pressures in every game and has been consistently great in run defense(3 official TFLs, but should be 4). Don't know what else you can say at this point? He's already established himself as a defining player to start the 2021 season and he's only scratching the surface of his potential. DROY candidate, who's already looking like a major steal. Keep pushing Oweh, you can be special. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

This is key. Four straight games where he's been a Top 3 or 5 defensive contributor for us.

Week 1: Sack to force FG before half, uncalled hold which prevented Sack that would've ended game in regulation, QBH on OT RZ INT

Week 2: QBH that forced the INT, Game Winning FF & FR on CEH

Week 3: Multiple pressures

Week 4: Drive ending 3rd Down Sack, QBH that removed Bridgewater from game

Multiple pressures in every game and has been consistently great in run defense(3 official TFLs, but should be 4). Don't know what else you can say at this point? He's already established himself as a defining player to start the 2021 season and he's only scratching the surface of his potential. DROY candidate, who's already looking like a major steal. Keep pushing Oweh, you can be special. 

He must be young. I can remember the last rookie pass rushers to do so, it’s an easy list to remember… Terrell Suggs and Peter Boulware. Both won DROY awards. Let’s hope Oweh makes it 3/3.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Oweh left off DJ's top 10 rookies...

This came out after the Ravens beat the Broncos and he even references that as proof of Williams place in the top 10, so there’s absolutely no way that Surtain should be above Oweh, none. Just unacceptable IMO.

edit: the list for those who don’t want to watch-

1. Micah Parsons
2. Rashawn Slater
3. Jamar Chase
4. Asante Samuel Jr
5. Creed Humphrey
6. Mac Jones
7. DeVonta Smith
8. Patrick Surtain II
9. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoa
10. Javonte Williams

Edited by diamondbull424

5 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

This came out after the Ravens beat the Broncos and he even references that as proof of Williams place in the top 10, so there’s absolutely no way that Surtain should be above Oweh, none. Just unacceptable IMO.

edit: the list for those who don’t want to watch-

1. Micah Parsons
2. Rashawn Slater
3. Jamar Chase
4. Asante Samuel Jr
5. Creed Humphrey
6. Mac Jones
7. DeVonta Smith
8. Patrick Surtain II
9. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoa
10. Javonte Williams

putting parsons #1 invalidates the entire list immediately and just shows he's doing it for fan interaction and clicks more than actual analysis.

5 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Oweh literally has a game winning play under his belt, to go with 2 Sacks and 10+ pressures in 4 games. No one can justify leaving him off a Top 10 ranking. DJ hurt his credibility with that one. 

• Like 1

Hate that our dumb team media even asked him about this. I don't want anything in this kid's head slowing him down. Don't worry about safe hits Odafe, half the time they'll flag you for hits that weren't by the book penalties anyway. Just play 100 MPH(200 MPH in your case) and whatever happens.. happens. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Hate that our dumb team media even asked him about this. I don't want anything in this kid's head slowing him down. Don't worry about safe hits Odafe, half the time they'll flag you for hits that weren't by the book penalties anyway. Just play 100 MPH(200 MPH in your case) and whatever happens.. happens. 

Well it looks like by his response that nothing will change regarding his mentality. He’s just a heat seeking missile. These comments makes me think that won’t change, at least not in the near future.

18 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Well it looks like by his response that nothing will change regarding his mentality. He’s just a heat seeking missile. These comments makes me think that won’t change, at least not in the near future.

Hopefully. It's also just annoying that after such an impressive first 4 games that's the caliber of question he's getting. In the end though, I think we can be confident in the coaches telling him to just keep going at it the way he has been.

Also, bit of a side note, Drew Wilkins has to be a rising star among defensive coaches in the league. Especially if Odafe continues to look the way he has to start the season. Shouldn't shock anyone if we start hearing his name during hiring season in the coming years. Important to note that he's not a minority, so we wouldn't get any comp picks for him if he did leave for a HC job in the future. 

• Like 1

Odafe is looking good. A lot more pass rush snaps than the rest of these guys so with more opportunity their efficency/win rate would likely trend down. Only took 45 pass rush snaps to qualify. Also according to Walder's data, Oweh gets doubled at a higher rate than Myles Garret, TJ Watt, and Von Miller. Which is interesting. I'm curious to know if this just tracks every pass rush vs block situation they encounter or if alignment/role/design/PA etc is factored in, because if not these totals are an apples to oranges situation. 

Regardless, Oweh is way ahead of schedule in terms of development and we've seen that his production thus far carries true impact. 

Oweh's PFF Grade is currently 75.3 making him their 7th highest graded Rookie and second behind only Micah Parsons at EDGE with a 75.4..... a 0.1 difference(Would love to know how that's calculated). Also they're classifying Parsons as an EDGE but I think he only played there once. I believe he's back to an off ball role now FWIW. 

They also offered a weird note on him in their rankings article here- https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-top-15-highest-graded-nfl-rookies-week-4-2021

"While Oweh still isn’t much of a pass-rusher one-on-one, he’s still found ways to make plays. He’s a weapon in space, whether he is left unblocked or if he's used in a stunt. He’s produced multiple pressures in every game so far this season."

I haven't found that statement to be true at all, and in that same article they mention that their 2nd ranked player Creed Humphrey has only given up one pressure all season... hmmm... was it this one-

The 'one-on-one' rep vs Oweh, were he was instantly beaten and Odafe's subsequent QBH led to an INT? I'd say Oweh looked pretty good one on one there.

Or how about here, IS THis 1ON one1-

I'm not saying he's Khalil Mack already, but IDK why they felt the need to try and negatively characterize his game. It doesn't seem like he gets all that many true 1v1 opportunities to begin with- looks pretty effective when he does though. They're making it out like he's just falling into impact "He's still found a way to make plays"... no we're using him all over the field because we can, he's apparently that talented/versatile, and it helps us get more pass rushers involved.

Oh well, hope Oweh keeps struggling the same way he has through the first 4 games. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by DreamKid
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Odafe is looking good. A lot more pass rush snaps than the rest of these guys so with more opportunity their efficency/win rate would likely trend down. Only took 45 pass rush snaps to qualify. Also according to Walder's data, Oweh gets doubled at a higher rate than Myles Garret, TJ Watt, and Von Miller. Which is interesting. I'm curious to know if this just tracks every pass rush vs block situation they encounter or if alignment/role/design/PA etc is factored in, because if not these totals are an apples to oranges situation. 

Regardless, Oweh is way ahead of schedule in terms of development and we've seen that his production thus far carries true impact. 

Oweh's PFF Grade is currently 75.3 making him their 7th highest graded Rookie and second behind only Micah Parsons at EDGE with a 75.4..... a 0.1 difference(Would love to know how that's calculated). Also they're classifying Parsons as an EDGE but I think he only played there once. I believe he's back to an off ball role now FWIW. 

They also offered a weird note on him in their rankings article here- https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-top-15-highest-graded-nfl-rookies-week-4-2021

"While Oweh still isn’t much of a pass-rusher one-on-one, he’s still found ways to make plays. He’s a weapon in space, whether he is left unblocked or if he's used in a stunt. He’s produced multiple pressures in every game so far this season."

I haven't find that statement to be true at all, and in that same article they mention that their 2nd ranked player Creed Humphrey has only given up one pressure all season... hmmm... was it this one-

The 'one-on-one' rep vs Oweh, were he was instantly beaten and Odafe's subsequent QBH led to an INT? I'd say Oweh looked pretty good one on one there.

Or how about here, IS THis 1ON one1-

I'm not saying he's Khalil Mack already, but IDK why they felt the need to try and negatively characterize his game. It doesn't seem like he gets all that many true 1v1 opportunities to begin with- looks pretty effective when he does though. They're making it out like he's just falling into impact "He's still found a way to make plays"... no we're using him all over the field because we can, he's apparently that talented/versatile, and it helps us get more pass rushers involved.

Oh well, hope Oweh keeps struggling the same way he has through the first 4 games. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah i noticed plenty of instances of Oweh being double teamed, especially against Denver. They were seemingly throwing everything at him but the kitchen sink (probably exaggerating a little, he wasn’t getting the Aaron Donald treatment, but still I’ve never seen anything like it for a rookie edge of ours). I wonder if the stunt/delayed blitz was Wink’s “solution” to help to free Oweh up off the double teams, it sort of felt that way, but could be me just reading too far into it... or not far enough.

• Like 1