2021 Rookie Talk

DreamKid

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah but their grades are notoriously awful.

I mean I don't think anyone can really challenge their grading system because nobody puts in the time they do in analyzing each play for each player. Just because I notice someone making a few plays on Sunday doesn't necessarily mean they are having a good game. I watch as a fan, they do not. 

When I saw their grading for Queen last year I about fell out of my chair because I saw him running around using his speed to make some splash plays. However after listening to their reasoning and looking back at some of the plays myself I saw what they were talking about. He was not good coming off blocks and took a lot of poor angles.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

I mean I don't think anyone can really challenge their grading system because nobody puts in the time they do in analyzing each play for each player. Just because I notice someone making a few plays on Sunday doesn't necessarily mean they are having a good game. I watch as a fan, they do not. 

When I saw their grading for Queen last year I about fell out of my chair because I saw him running around using his speed to make some splash plays. However after listening to their reasoning and looking back at some of the plays myself I saw what they were talking about. He was not good coming off blocks and took a lot of poor angles.

He really needs to improve next year.

I wasn't a huge fan of the pick at the time, and he didn't do much to dissuade me last year unfortunately.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I wasn't a huge fan of the pick at the time, and he didn't do much to dissuade me last year unfortunately.

I have faith that he will improve, he has all of the tools you want in a inside linebacker he just needs to diagnose better and then trust his instincts. I'm definitely not going to judge a rookie linebacker in covid filled season where he had next to no preparation before the season. In today's NFL linebacker is one of the toughest positions to learn because it's no longer a search and destroy role that was it was in Ray Lewis's day, today's backers are responsible for a lot more due to the evolution of offenses. I'm fully expecting for he and Harrison to be a whole lot better next season.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

Their grades hold zero weight when games happen and their grades come out less than an hour later. I don't buy that they're doing a ton of analysis on each play/player tbh. They're not watching every player on every play and grading them DURING the game, otherwise there is no humanly possible way to have a full article + grades released an hour after the real game finishes.

Nobody else does overall grades because it's impossible to know the context and assignments, but there are a lot of other metrics for grading players that are commonly used, and PFF has some great stats, but their grades should almost never be used other than just to get a feel for if a player is good/bad.

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Their grades hold zero weight when games happen and their grades come out less than an hour later. I don't buy that they're doing a ton of analysis on each play/player tbh. They're not watching every player on every play and grading them DURING the game, otherwise there is no humanly possible way to have a full article + grades released an hour after the real game finishes.

Nobody else does overall grades because it's impossible to know the context and assignments, but there are a lot of other metrics for grading players that are commonly used, and PFF has some great stats, but their grades should almost never be used other than just to get a feel for if a player is good/bad.

I agree to a certain extent, especially with knowing their assignments, Derek Wolfe made a comment about that recently. I honestly think you are underestimating their capabilities though, they have a ton of people going through the data and AI does the rest. I definitely don't think they are dead on accurate at all but there isn't anyone even close when it comes to outcome grading and projections. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

I agree to a certain extent, especially with knowing their assignments, Derek Wolfe made a comment about that recently. I honestly think you are underestimating their capabilities though, they have a ton of people going through the data and AI does the rest. I definitely don't think they are dead on accurate at all but there isn't anyone even close when it comes to outcome grading and projections. Just my opinion.

Agree. I think it's an interesting data point. I think it's an interesting place to dig deeper when their grading is at odds with common / public perception.

9 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Can’t say I disagree. Truly it was an odd season for rookies with no OTA’s. Which is what excites me about last years & this years class the most. Feel we might see tremendous improvement and guys hitting the ground running with more rookie camp/ota (unless I’m mistaken and this is again not happening aka the vid)

• Like 1

We’re all excited for the shiny objects, but I won’t lie. I’m surprised we didn’t dip at any ILB. I can’t wait to see Malik Harrison and what he does. All eyes on Queen being our 1st last year, but we brought back LJ Fort and really are thin besides those 3. FO definitely has expectations to get Harrison out there 

For this year. I really only see Oweh, Bateman & Cleveland making impacts. 

Second year rooks who excite me.. Can we say all first 5 picks?! 
Already mentioned Harrison... but Dobbins 🤤 ... Madubuike, Duvernay & Queen.