Learning From Mitch

WindyCity

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

We hope the OL is revamped. It will have to show growth early in the season.

I get there's no guarantees these guys pan out but at least on paper the situation looks a whole lot better

31 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I get there's no guarantees these guys pan out but at least on paper the situation looks a whole lot better

Agreed. I prefer what we have on this line to anything we have had in a long time

Hmm.  Well reasoned points like always.  

I agree Pace did very nice job in draft.  I don't know if he has learned.  He still let's a position get really bad and then throws kitchen sink at it.  Like OTs.  

Also seems to have realized that OL and DL physicality  really matters to success.  You have to control middle of field to win most football games.  Seemingly realized it.  

I agree overall coaching staff is moving in right direction.  I like our current OL coach better than previous one.  

I disagree bridge QBs are necessary.  I think it is an assumption people make because of correlation rather than causation.  I believe in reps.  Quality reps.  

GTG. 

• Like 1

One thing I will say is we don't know that the plan for developing Trubisky was terrible...what we know is that plan was terrible for TRUBISKY...that doesn't mean they shouldn't just take that plan and scrape it all together...there needs to be a balance between the coaches being them and them tweaking the plan to try and make it better for Fields...they also need to let Fields be himself...if he goes full on Russell Wilson and blows Dalton out the water like he did Matt Flynn then we need to let him start...if he doesn't and we need to continue to sit him for even the full season then there has to be a consistent plan for that too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

One thing I will say is we don't know that the plan for developing Trubisky was terrible...what we know is that plan was terrible for TRUBISKY...that doesn't mean they shouldn't just take that plan and scrape it all together...there needs to be a balance between the coaches being them and them tweaking the plan to try and make it better for Fields...they also need to let Fields be himself...if he goes full on Russell Wilson and blows Dalton out the water like he did Matt Flynn then we need to let him start...if he doesn't and we need to continue to sit him for even the full season then there has to be a consistent plan for that too.

Trubisky...isn't good.

So, it's almost impossible to assign any blame to anyone dealing with that guy, trying to coach him up. Had Andy Reid got a hold of Mitch, Mitch would still be not good. 

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am just thankful his weird obsession with Massie and Leno has ended.

I don't see it so much as an obsession and I do lacking an ability improve on either through the draft due to the Mack trade and a focus other positions with those picks he did have.

Also have been raised on the NOLA theory of keeping the pocket clean he spent what draft capital he could afford on OG instead of OT believing he could get by with average OT. 

That's all changed now and while it would have been nicer if we'd have spent some higher picks on OT awhile ago they would not have played because we couldn't cut Massie of Leno loose due to their contracts.

It's the same reason I believe Ifedi will start and play most of the games at RT in 2021.  We didn't give him $4.5 mil to be someones backup.

I think we should count Ifedi as a decent addition we didn't have to spend a draft pick on.  The guy was a former 1st round pick so there's always been some degree of raw talent there that caused him to be drafted that high.  It's been up to Castillo to dig that out of him.

He looked pretty good at OG last season and only slightly worse at OT.  I don't think we lost anything in any kind of comparison between him and Massie before Massie's injuries and at 26 years old he's still young enough to improve.  His best years should be coming up.