2022 Draft Talk

swede700

Finished a 7 round mock with all the teams, this is how it played out based on the players on my board.  Obviously ideal with Gardner but still could be a long shot to get him.  

1st
  12.   Minnesota Vikings - Ahmad Gardner Cincinnati JR CB

2nd
 46.   Minnesota Vikings - Brandon Smith Penn State JR LB  

3rd
77. Minnesota Vikings - Trey McBride Colorado State SR TE

5th
154. Minnesota Vikings via (Baltimore Ravens) - Ryan Liam Washington State RS SR OG/OT

6th
183. Minnesota Vikings via (NY Jets) - Jahad Woods Washington State RS SR OLB
191. Minnesota Vikings - Scott Patchan Colorado State RS SR DE
210. Minnesota Vikings via (Kansas City Chiefs) - Tony Adams Illinois RS SR CB/S

7th
229. Minnesota Vikings via (Denver Broncos) - Don Gardner South Dakota State RS SR CB 

Not totally sold on the draft but was a first try, order was based on one I found which I assume is correct.  Rick always tried to trade back to get more picks and not sure that worked out for him, volume did not equal quality in the past few drafts.  Then again who knows maybe it was the coaching staff holding them down and not playing young guys.

Went with some LBs assuming Barr is gone and Dye not sure he is an answer, DE could be ok with Wonnum and Willekes who looked good last year much less Robinson coming off injury and Patrick Jones and Lynch but who knows what happens with Hunter.  

Picking multiple CBs for them is totally not out of the question and Adams and Gardner could transition to safety if need be also.  Curious how they view Bynum, surprised they did not try him at corner last year when the injuries hit.  

52 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

@Ozzyyou really think McBride will be around in the 3rd round yet?

I might be underrating him a bit, I guess if he runs well he could go late 1st or 2nd round.  Not sure any TE goes 1st round though,  I would be fine with Jalen Wydermyer or Jelani Woods as well if McBride goes ahead of them.  And if all three of them are gone there are a lot of good guys like Dulcich, Kolar, Austin Allen etc.

McBride is outstanding after the catch, super tough and very good in open space.    Wydermyer and Woods are bigger dudes but both have kind of had so so careers especially Wydermyer.  Woods really broke out this year but I liked him on Ok State just on his size and how athletic he was.  

If the Vikings trade Cousins and look to the draft for the QBOTF. One thing is for certain. Any rookie QB stepping into an offense with Jefferson, Thielen, Osborn, Smith Jr., Conklin?, Cook, Mattison, and Nwangwu is going to get a far greater supporting cast than Ponder or Bridgewater had coming to the NFL. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If the Vikings trade Cousins and look to the draft for the QBOTF. One thing is for certain. Any rookie QB stepping into an offense with Jefferson, Thielen, Osborn, Smith Jr., Conklin?, Cook, Mattison, and Nwangwu is going to get a far greater supporting cast than Ponder or Bridgewater had coming to the NFL. 

Very true, but no sure anyone wants to trade for Kirk Cousins.  Not only have to paid the dude but lose a few 1st rounders maybe to do it?  No way the Steelers would be game for that, maybe the Browns but even that not sure they would do it.

Say they do it though, not sure I am super comfortable taking any of these guys 12th overall.  Sure Strong and Pickett are probably most likely but Strong might not fit the Vikings unless they want to change their offense.  Pickett is interesting but might be a bit high.  Corral, Willis or Howell I would love 2nd round but again that is just hoping they fall to that spot.

Carson Strong Nevada RS JR
Matt Corral Ole Miss RS JR
Kenny Pickett Pitt RS SR
Malik Willis Liberty RS SR
Sam Howell UNC JR
Desmond Ridder Cincinnati RS SR

I would love to move on from Kirk Cousins if I was Minnesota, the guy has played well the past few years but it has not lead to victories so they are just meaningless stats.  Not sure he is the best leader in the world either, decent QB but for a team possibly in a rebuild mold, not sure having a QB that gets paid that much is a smart thing to do.  So if they could get rid of him great and have Mond and a rookie battle out but not sure that happens.

My hope is with a new GM and HC that Sean Mannion is gone for good!  It is ridiculous the praise he gets when basically he has done little to nothing in the NFL on the playing field.  Go be a coach if you are so smart but the dude sucks as a player and is easily one of the least talented backup QBs in the NFL.  

@Ozzy Nice effort on the mock, but i just cant imagine waiting that long to select an edge rusher. With the Hunter uncertainty i think at this point that position should be almost the biggest need to fill. Even if Hunter is back, id still invest there. Especially over LB & TE. Those arent really premium positions and id say TE should be ok with Irv coming back. LB will be a big need though, but i think we could develop some of our young guys & sign a vet or two. IF Kendricks is released/traded then that changes things too. 

Im not a believer in Wonnum at all. And a few good games from KW doesnt really make me think he can be a future starter. Jones hardly played. I think those are more so situational type guys. 

Edited by Eric dunn

29 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

@Ozzy Nice effort on the mock, but i just cant imagine waiting that long to select an edge rusher. With the Hunter uncertainty i think at this point that position should be almost the biggest need to fill. Even if Hunter is back, id still invest there. Especially over LB & TE. Those arent really premium positions and id say TE should be ok with Irv coming back. LB will be a big need though, but i think we could develop some of our young guys & sign a vet or two. IF Kendricks is released/traded then that changes things too. 

Im not a believer in Wonnum at all. And a few good games from KW doesnt really make me think he can be a future starter. Jones hardly played. I think those are more so situational type guys. 

I am not totally sold that Hunter will be gone, the dude is crazy talented and looked great when he was out there this past year and that injury is not career ending by any means.

Wonnum had 8 sacks this past season, 11 in two years for a player picked in the 4th round in outstanding.  You might not like him but I like him and he is a damn talented young player.  Willekes I loved coming out of college and he has shown flashes his first time he got in the NFL this season after the injury, Robinson is another who has tons of talent and upside.  

Maybe they address DE sooner than I think but CB is a much much bigger need the DE.  And Patchan is a talented guy, 6-6 270 and had over 10 sacks this past year on Colorado State, 5.5 the year before and former Miami Hurricane could provide another potential development DE down the road with ideal size for the position.

TE I do not have a ton of faith in Irv Smith and would want to move on from him honestly but who knows.

Brandon Smith I do not see them passing on him if Barr is out, I would have very little faith if the starting LB core was Kendricks, Vigil and Dye, they need a star opposite Kendricks not just some average dude and Smith could be sitting right there for the taking.  If anything maybe they address the interior OG spot much sooner than I have them do so because the top OL will go fast in the draft but again would be very hard to pass on Brandon Smith assuming Barr is gone.  

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

I am not totally sold that Hunter will be gone, the dude is crazy talented and looked great when he was out there this past year and that injury is not career ending by any means.

Wonnum had 8 sacks this past season, 11 in two years for a player picked in the 4th round in outstanding.  You might not like him but I like him and he is a damn talented young player.  Willekes I loved coming out of college and he has shown flashes his first time he got in the NFL this season after the injury, Robinson is another who has tons of talent and upside.  

Maybe they address DE sooner than I think but CB is a much much bigger need the DE.  And Patchan is a talented guy, 6-6 270 and had over 10 sacks this past year on Colorado State, 5.5 the year before and former Miami Hurricane could provide another potential development DE down the road with ideal size for the position.

TE I do not have a ton of faith in Irv Smith and would want to move on from him honestly but who knows.

Brandon Smith I do not see them passing on him if Barr is out, I would have very little faith if the starting LB core was Kendricks, Vigil and Dye, they need a star opposite Kendricks not just some average dude and Smith could be sitting right there for the taking.  If anything maybe they address the interior OG spot much sooner than I have them do so because the top OL will go fast in the draft but again would be very hard to pass on Brandon Smith assuming Barr is gone.  

Not saying Hunter will even be gone, but can he stay healthy? Is the team gonna pay him? There are questions right now, i think he stays but there are questions. 

On Wonnum, he's a good athlete. But half of his sacks were unblocked or coverage sacks. He has one of the worse grades & pass rush win rates for players with X amount of snaps. He could be a situational guy, but he cant be looked at as a starting player. KW showed flashes, but he also had long stretches of just disappearing. JRob & Jones are still mostly unknown. I think edge should be a priority especially in a class that has so many potential starters. I realize you like Wonnum, but those sack numbers are misleading. But his pressure % was not very good from what i can remember. Could any of these guys develop? Thats possible. But id rather take a guy like possibly Ojabo & have him opposite of Hunter for the next 5 years. Mixing in Wonnum, KW, Jones as situational guys. 

I agree that CB is a HUGE need, on par with DE. I think taking one in the top 2 rounds is necessary. 

On the TE i completely disagree and think its pretty absurd that you want to move on from Irv Smith. He was going to explode this year. He was killing it in TC & was poised to be a breakout player. He has star potential imo, is still young and is coming off of a very manageable injury. He is the modern day TE that can stretch the field & is a good blocker. He should be penciled in as a starter. Then bring back Conk or a vet TE & draft a guy late or possibly see where Davidson is at in his development. I wouldnt take a TE in the first 3 rounds. 

Im big on building this thing in the trenches. Stop the run & pressure the heck out of the opposing QB. And of offense, bulldoze DL & protect the QB. 

Lastly, i totally disagree that they need a star opposite of Kendricks. They dont need a star, they got by with Eric Wilson for most of last season. And Wilson apparently cant even stick in the NFL on other teams. Surrat, Dye, Lynch all have potential. Id take a guy in the 3rd & sign a vet IF the Vikings keep EK. If they get rid of EK (which i think is possible because of a down year & bloated $$). Then LB becomes more of a priority for me. Until then, id sign a vet starter and draft a guy in the 3rd. 

3 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

Not saying Hunter will even be gone, but can he stay healthy? Is the team gonna pay him? There are questions right now, i think he stays but there are questions. 

On Wonnum, he's a good athlete. But half of his sacks were unblocked or coverage sacks. He has one of the worse grades & pass rush win rates for players with X amount of snaps. He could be a situational guy, but he cant be looked at as a starting player. KW showed flashes, but he also had long stretches of just disappearing. JRob & Jones are still mostly unknown. I think edge should be a priority especially in a class that has so many potential starters. I realize you like Wonnum, but those sack numbers are misleading. But his pressure % was not very good from what i can remember. Could any of these guys develop? Thats possible. But id rather take a guy like possibly Ojabo & have him opposite of Hunter for the next 5 years. Mixing in Wonnum, KW, Jones as situational guys. 

I agree that CB is a HUGE need, on par with DE. I think taking one in the top 2 rounds is necessary. 

On the TE i completely disagree and think its pretty absurd that you want to move on from Irv Smith. He was going to explode this year. He was killing it in TC & was poised to be a breakout player. He has star potential imo, is still young and is coming off of a very manageable injury. He is the modern day TE that can stretch the field & is a good blocker. He should be penciled in as a starter. Then bring back Conk or a vet TE & draft a guy late or possibly see where Davidson is at in his development. I wouldnt take a TE in the first 3 rounds. 

Im big on building this thing in the trenches. Stop the run & pressure the heck out of the opposing QB. And of offense, bulldoze DL & protect the QB. 

Lastly, i totally disagree that they need a star opposite of Kendricks. They dont need a star, they got by with Eric Wilson for most of last season. And Wilson apparently cant even stick in the NFL on other teams. Surrat, Dye, Lynch all have potential. Id take a guy in the 3rd & sign a vet IF the Vikings keep EK. If they get rid of EK (which i think is possible because of a down year & bloated $$). Then LB becomes more of a priority for me. Until then, id sign a vet starter and draft a guy in the 3rd. 

Now unless the Vikings are going to change there offense, they need two TEs and Conklin is a free agent in 2022 and most likely will not be brought back, if he is then of course that changes things.   Irv Smith will be with the team but that is just because he is under contract, unless he has a really great year doubt they bring him back in 2023.  He is undersized for the position, is not a great blocker and for being a 2nd round pick has kind of disappointed honestly, he is more the size of a HB and not a fan of that.  Sure I could be wrong on him but I would not build my TE future around him at this point based on how short he is, his limited big play ability and his lack of blocking.  I would not fear going up against him until proven otherwise.

Based on free agency the starting and best CB is most likely gone and the starting nickel corner is gone and the starting FS also could be gone.  So yeah CB and DB in general is most likely a massive need, and only way they got DE that early is if they are moving on from Hunter, if they are not there is no need to go DE that early especially in a deep DE draft where you can wait and still get someone decent later on.  

I got on value as well, and again Brandon Smith is one of the best OLBs in a some what weak OLB draft class.  Surratt sure I would love if he is the OLB but he never even played pretty much last year and Dye is limited big time in terms of his coverage and lack of size and Lynch I am not a huge fan of his either.  Yeah Eric Wilson I was surprised he was so bad on the Eagles but that was more TJ Edwards outplayed him, but still if they plan on playing only two LBs they have to both be really good for that to work.  Vigil out there with Kendricks did not work in my opinion and that D sucked last year so not sure how they could get coverage sacks when that secondary especially the corners were some of the worst rated guys in the league all three of them Peterson, Breeland and Alexander.  

Been studying Amad Gardener and if he's there at pick 12 we need to run up to podium to draft him.

Excellent production, excellent size & athleticism and such a great demeanour. He's a calm & collected leader off the field and brings it on the field.

Quite a few teams before us that could draft him but I really hope he falls to us.

9 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

I am all about building on the two lines, but it all depends on who is there and who falls.  Gardner no way they do not select him if he is there, but sure if he is gone I would not mind Leal at that spot or a good OL.

Then Brandon Smith, not sure I pass on him if he is there and take Tyree Johnson, Boye Mafe, Arnold Ebiketie or Isaiah Thomas.  If it was a different DE maybe, and sure I might take Boye in the 3rd but I had him go ahead of that Vikings 3rd rounder and again I feel one TE will not be signed and they need two anyway and need more production in general from that spot.

Also there is the fact that apparently Brandon Smith is an absolutely standout athlete and will time great, maybe he does not time that great but I think he will and he is easily the most talented OLB in the draft outside of any 3/4 edge type player.

Vikings have went DE a lot the last few drafts, have to let some of those guys play.  Even this year they drafted DEs then start of the season bring in multiple vets and then the young guys cannot play and show what they can do.  There has to be a point of playing them and then if they cannot perform get rid of them but obviously Zimmer hated playing rookies at almost any point unless he was forced into it.  I think they work something out with Hunter, it would be nuts not to let him go and also let Barr go they have to keep one of them or should.  

52 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

The immediate thought process of “let’s wait till 2023 to draft a QB since it’s better”, comes with it own set of risks. You might not get any, you might miss. 

Cant back on next year if you think you can have one in 2022 that you can work with. 

Then again if you reach for one it can set a franchise back if you just grab one in the first because you “think”. 

You draft in the first for “knows” 

look back at the Ponder era. We thought we could have him and turn him into something. Such a similar feeling to this draft. A lot of names being floated around as maybes. A lot of okay guys. Most of the time that doesn’t turn out in your favor.

56 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Then again if you reach for one it can set a franchise back if you just grab one in the first because you “think”. 

You draft in the first for “knows” 

look back at the Ponder era. We thought we could have him and turn him into something. Such a similar feeling to this draft. A lot of names being floated around as maybes. A lot of okay guys. Most of the time that doesn’t turn out in your favor.

No one is saying to “just grab one QB in the first” …. But if your scouts/director evaluate a 1st round QB and say “we think he has the tools to become top 10 QB, tho he comes with the risk of having X,Y,Z.” …. Then you should roll the dice, and possibly even move up for them  

I can’t fully comment on Ponder, as I don’t know if there was anything revealed on if Rick thought Ponder was a future top QB (even if he was the 4/5th QB of the board). My sense is they didn’t feel strongly for Ponder, hence they didn’t attempt to trade up. 

So the potential situations are not entirely comparable. Don’t be gun shy, just because a previous GM made a mistake.