2022 Draft Talk

swede700

On 3/12/2022 at 9:50 PM, meixdaddy_10 said:

Man, I do not understand how PFF grades some of these mock drafts.

I traded 12 and 44 to Philly for 15 and 16 and got a B-. It's 620 points vs 475 points on the Rich Hill trade chart (an overpay of an extra low to mid 2nd RD pick). Jimmy Johnson model is 2050 points versus 1640 (or an overpay of a mid 2nd RD pick). Im guessing because i passed up on Travon Walker, Tyler Linderbaum, and George Karlaftis and ED and C are listed as 2 of our top 5 needs?

I took McDuffie CB and Lloyd LB as they were the top 2 remaining on their board and got an A+ and A- respectively. But who here doesnt make that trade and think it's only a B-?

Others left on the board = DE Ojabo, DE J. Johnson, CB Booth, DT J. Davis, WR Burks & Olave

Sauce and Stingley off the board as well as QB Willis.

Who you take and what's your grade?

Would really like to know what they did in FA first to see any possible glaring needs but based on this and current roster as constructed I go Edge - Jermaine Johnson & CB - Andrew Booth Jr.   

I would prefer to grab J.J. & trade down and acquire another 2nd or 3rd rounder if possible but an ideal situation would be landing Jordan Davis as well I just don't see any possible way to land those 3 without giving up future capital & i don't want to go that route yet until we have the QB situation actually figured out & no a KC 1 yr extension doesn't count as figuring out the QB situation IMO

Alright, pick it apart:

12: R1 P12 EDGE George Karlaftis - Purdue

46: R2 P14 CB Kyler Gordon - Washington

77: R3 P13 LB Leo Chenal - Wisconsin

156: R5 P13 TE Greg Dulcich - UCLA

183: R6 P5 WR Kyle Philips - UCLA

191: R6 P13 OT Rasheed Walker - Penn State

207: R6 P29 S Isaiah Pola-Mao - USC

230: R7 P11 RB Max Borghi - Washington State

1 hour ago, KeithVikings28 said:

Alright, pick it apart:

12: R1 P12 EDGE George Karlaftis - Purdue

46: R2 P14 CB Kyler Gordon - Washington

77: R3 P13 LB Leo Chenal - Wisconsin

156: R5 P13 TE Greg Dulcich - UCLA

183: R6 P5 WR Kyle Philips - UCLA

191: R6 P13 OT Rasheed Walker - Penn State

207: R6 P29 S Isaiah Pola-Mao - USC

230: R7 P11 RB Max Borghi - Washington State

I’d be happy with it. Chenal is probably my top day 2 player target for the Vikings.

Still not sure how I feel about Karlaftis in a standup role. Love the player, just not sure about the fit. 

Edited by SemperFeist

On 3/14/2022 at 11:20 AM, SemperFeist said:

I’d be happy with it. Chenal is probably my top day 2 player target for the Vikings.

Still not sure how I feel about Karlaftis in a standup role. Love the player, just not sure about the fit. 

I think Travon Walker would be the perfect fit. Hope he’s available at 12. I think we can find a quality corner in the second round. Travon Walker and Kyler Gordon would be ideal in the first two rounds. 

6 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

I think Travon Walker would be the perfect fit. Hope he’s available at 12. I think we can find a quality corner in the second round. Travon Walker and Kyler Gordon would be ideal in the first two rounds. 

He would be ideal but Travon Walker will be gone and so will Jermaine Johnson and most likely Ojabo.

Nic Bonitto is on the table potentially, dude is a elite athlete and a big time bender on the edge.  Sure I would rather have any of those three above but might have to go with Bonitto.  If not Jordan Davis could be the pick or Trevor Penning.

On 3/14/2022 at 1:20 PM, SemperFeist said:

Chenal?  With Hicks and Kendricks doubt they draft another ILB unless they think Chenal can be a edge guy and maybe he can, is pretty crap in coverage and in terms of agility regardless of his testing numbers.  He is a straight line player and could be a decent 3/4 OLB possibly but not totally sure.

Karlaftis is ok but with how good Walker and Johnson have looked Karlaftis is dropping, did not have a great year and is not near the athlete those two are.  I think he could drop into the 2nd round maybe, Mafe is arguably a better 3/4 OLB prospect than Karlaftis.  

9 hours ago, Ozzy said:

He would be ideal but Travon Walker will be gone and so will Jermaine Johnson and most likely Ojabo.

Nic Bonitto is on the table potentially, dude is a elite athlete and a big time bender on the edge.  Sure I would rather have any of those three above but might have to go with Bonitto.  If not Jordan Davis could be the pick or Trevor Penning.

My guess is Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, Ekwonu, Neal, Willis/Pickett, Cross, Penning Hamilton, Gardner, Walker and G. Wilson will be off the board in some order before we pick.

That means I have us down to Karlaftis, Johnson, McDuffie or Stingley as our pick at 1.12.

7 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

My guess is Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, Ekwonu, Neal, Willis/Pickett, Cross, Penning Hamilton, Gardner, Walker and G. Wilson will be off the board in some order before we pick.

That means I have us down to Karlaftis, Johnson, McDuffie or Stingley as our pick at 1.12.

Jermaine Johnson should be gone as well, McDuffie could be an option but would be a reach and Stingley is probably gone also to Seattle maybe.

Byron Murphy, Budda Baker and Marcus Peters are all much better than McDuffie was on Washington in college and none of them went 12th overall.  Would fill a need though no doubt.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

There aren't enough teams in front of 12 that all of them would be gone...because then you're talking about 5 of the top 11 being Edge guys.  That's not likely...but even if that does happen, then you're leaving a top-flight CB on the board.  And I'd be fine with that.  One of them will likely be left, most probably Ojabo, since he's the rawest of the bunch.  It would be a good story to get Johnson though, since he's "one of us."  

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

There aren't enough teams in front of 12 that all of them would be gone...because then you're talking about 5 of the top 11 being Edge guys.  That's not likely...but even if that does happen, then you're leaving a top-flight CB on the board.  And I'd be fine with that.  One of them will likely be left, most probably Ojabo, since he's the rawest of the bunch.  It would be a good story to get Johnson though, since he's "one of us."  

He's also a nerd that posts on football forums?!?

I already like him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Jermaine Johnson should be gone as well, McDuffie could be an option but would be a reach and Stingley is probably gone also to Seattle maybe.

Byron Murphy, Budda Baker and Marcus Peters are all much better than McDuffie was on Washington in college and none of them went 12th overall.  Would fill a need though no doubt.  

Bro, not everyone can be long gone; there are only 11 teams in front of us. Do your mock prediction for 1-11 and post it here. show us how all these dudes are gunna be long gone. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

He's also a nerd that posts on football forums?!?

I already like him.

I forget that not all of us are familiarized with Minnesotan-speak (I don't live there either, but grew up there).  To be considered "one of us" means that you have either been born in Minnesota or lived there so long that you have been accepted as a Minnesotan.  It's why we can say John Madden, Winona Ryder and Jessica Biel all can be considered "one of us", but players like Kirk Cousins are not (hasn't been there anywhere nearly long enough).

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

Bro, not everyone can be long gone; there are only 11 teams in front of us. Do your mock prediction for 1-11 and post it here. show us how all these dudes are gunna be long gone. 

Who on here does a 7 round mock draft and edits it weekly?  

Travon Walker and Johnson could easily be long gone by the Vikings pick.  Giants need an edge player, Falcons need an edge player and just cut Fowler, Jets also need an edge player, so do the Texans, Lions and possibly Jaguars.  If not them the Seahawks could take him and then the Jets have another chance at taking him.

1.    Jacksonville Jaguars - Evan Neal Alabama JR OT/OG  
  2.    Detroit Lions - Aidan Hutchinson Michigan SR DE  
  3.   Houston Texans - Kayvon Thibodeau Oregon JR DE 
  4.    New York Jets - Ikem Ekwonu NC State RS SOPH OG/OT
  5.   New York Giants - Kyle Hamilton Notre Dame JR S  
  6.   Carolina Panthers  - Ahmad Gardner Cincinnati JR CB
  7.   New York Giants via (Chicago Bears) -  Travon Walker Georgia JR DE/OLB
  8.    Atlanta Falcons - Jermaine Johnson Florida State SR LB/DE 
  9.  Seattle Seahawks via (Denver Broncos) - Derek Stingley Jr LSU JR CB    
 10.    New York Jets via (Seattle Seahawks) - David Ojabo Michigan RS SOPH DE/OLB
  11.  Washington Commanders - Charles Cross Miss State RS SOPH OT
  12.   Minnesota Vikings - 

That is how and it is not that crazy of a concept.  Not that many edge players will be picked that high?  Well yeah they will be especially how Travon Walker and Johnson worked out athletically.  

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Who on here does a 7 round mock draft and edits it weekly?  

Travon Walker and Johnson could easily be long gone by the Vikings pick.  Giants need an edge player, Falcons need an edge player and just cut Fowler, Jets also need an edge player, so do the Texans, Lions and possibly Jaguars.  If not them the Seahawks could take him and then the Jets have another chance at taking him.

1.    Jacksonville Jaguars - Evan Neal Alabama JR OT/OG  
  2.    Detroit Lions - Aidan Hutchinson Michigan SR DE  
  3.   Houston Texans - Kayvon Thibodeau Oregon JR DE 
  4.    New York Jets - Ikem Ekwonu NC State RS SOPH OG/OT
  5.   New York Giants - Kyle Hamilton Notre Dame JR S  
  6.   Carolina Panthers  - Ahmad Gardner Cincinnati JR CB
  7.   New York Giants via (Chicago Bears) -  Travon Walker Georgia JR DE/OLB
  8.    Atlanta Falcons - Jermaine Johnson Florida State SR LB/DE 
  9.  Seattle Seahawks via (Denver Broncos) - Derek Stingley Jr LSU JR CB    
 10.    New York Jets via (Seattle Seahawks) - David Ojabo Michigan RS SOPH DE/OLB
  11.  Washington Commanders - Charles Cross Miss State RS SOPH OT
  12.   Minnesota Vikings - 

That is how and it is not that crazy of a concept.  Not that many edge players will be picked that high?  Well yeah they will be especially how Travon Walker and Johnson worked out athletically.  

I agree, it's not crazy, anything can happen in the real draft. this mock is plausible, although i disagree on some of the team picks/needs. some thoughts:

1. A QB should probably go. Panthers still have Darnold, Seahawks have Lock. Lions have Goff. If Falcons don't get Watson, they still need a QB of the future.

2. Some team will draft Garrett Wilson

3. Jordan Davis will probably go in the top 10 after his display. Players like that, with that size and athleticism in the trenches, do not last long.

4. IF this were to happen, If I were the Vikings I would:

1. Entertain a trade down to a team that likes one of the QBs. If not then....

2. Draft Garrett Wilson

3. Draft Malik Willis

Edit: will throw Jordan Davis in there as a Vikings options I guess. I HATE to waste him as a 2 down nose. Maybe with his athleticism he can be a 3-4 base end.

Edited by battle2heaven