Washington bringing in former Dolphins FS Bobby McCain

turtle28

53 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t see the point of Leno? We just took a LT in the second round. Took one last year in the 4th round. Have Lucas who played well and while he hasn’t developed as well as we’d all hope, Christian is still on the roster as well. Seems like a silly use of resources.

Im also of the opinion Christian wasn’t all that bad last year. I think he made strides and maybe he makes the same kinda leap Moses did when we drafted Scherff. I’m not counting on it obviously but I’d rather see Christian, Cosmi and Charles get the playing time Leno would take away. 

1 minute ago, RSkinGM said:

I'd give this post  DOUBLE like If possible ! Spot on - agree 100%

the only thing I can see with them doing this is that maybe they make a current tackle a guard and move on from brandon via trade.

or that they are going into this playing the comp pick game if they dont plan on being active in FA next year but we should have quite a bit of money so i see us being buyers so idk

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t see the point of Leno? We just took a LT in the second round. Took one last year in the 4th round. Have Lucas who played well and while he hasn’t developed as well as we’d all hope, Christian is still on the roster as well. Seems like a silly use of resources.

Im also of the opinion Christian wasn’t all that bad last year. I think he made strides and maybe he makes the same kinda leap Moses did when we drafted Scherff. I’m not counting on it obviously but I’d rather see Christian, Cosmi and Charles get the playing time Leno would take away. 

Here’s my take: It is one of the premium positions. Lucas did good at this position, he certainly should be back. Having another competing for the job doesn’t hurt. This could be Leno.

I see Charles more as a guard then a tackle in the NFL. I hope he can start in the near future. Flowers contract is a one year deal, how it is structured. Same for Scherff. In my opinion Christian is not a Starting LT in this league. He had his chance, but didn’t show enough.

When the o-line is stable it’s a scary team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dutch DC Football Fan said:

Here’s my take: It is one of the premium positions. Lucas did good at this position, he certainly should be back. Having another competing for the job doesn’t hurt. This could be Leno.

I see Charles more as a guard then a tackle in the NFL. I hope he can start in the near future. Flowers contract is a one year deal, how it is structured. Same for Scherff. In my opinion Christian is not a Starting LT in this league. He had his chance, but didn’t show enough.

When the o-line is stable it’s a scary team.

But still, we’ve pumped multiple resources into this position in two years. Charles has almost no chance at starting over Flowers. Cosmi will most likely start the season behind Lucas and Leno just flat out isn’t very good. I mean, I could see a situation where Charles slides to RG when Scherff walks next off-season and our OL would consist of:

Cosmi/Flowers/Rhouillier/Charles/Moses

I just don’t see the point in investing in Leno? If he were good and we didn’t have comparable players on the roster i.e. Lucas then I could see it but this would just overcrowd a position that already has multiple young players waiting in the wings. 

I’ll liken this to last season when I personally got upset they didn’t go after another safety once Collins got hurt. Had they done so, like I foolishly wanted them too, we’d most likely have blocked Curl and we wouldn’t even realize what we have. I don’t want Leno here blocking Cosmi or Charles from playing or even in the most unlikely of scenarios, Christian developing into a bona fide tackle. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

But still, we’ve pumped multiple resources into this position in two years. Charles has almost no chance at starting over Flowers. Cosmi will most likely start the season behind Lucas and Leno just flat out isn’t very good. I mean, I could see a situation where Charles slides to RG when Scherff walks next off-season and our OL would consist of:

I just don’t see the point in investing in Leno? If he were good and we didn’t have comparable players on the roster i.e. Lucas then I could see it but this would just overcrowd a position that already has multiple young players waiting in the wings. 

I’ll liken this to last season when I personally got upset they didn’t go after another safety once Collins got hurt. Had they done so, like I foolishly wanted them too, we’d most likely have blocked Curl and we wouldn’t even realize what we have. I don’t want Leno here blocking Cosmi or Charles from playing or even in the most unlikely of scenarios, Christian developing into a bona fide tackle. 

Clapping Hands GIFs | Tenor

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

If they saw Charles as a LT he would’ve been competing for the starting LT position last training camp, maybe I’m misremembering but I don’t remember that he was ever considered to be the starting LT last year by the coaches, but us fans wanted Charles to be Trent’s replacement but that doesn’t mean he was ever considered to be a starting LT by the coaches. They were hoping he’d be the starting LG, but then Charles got hurt so he never became that either.

Leno is a pro bowl starting caliber LT, he made the pro bowl in 2018. He’s an upgrade over what we have, he’s going to be 30 in October.

We think that Cosmi is going to develop into a good starting LT, but there’s no way of knowing that right now. It’d be good to have a veteran to start at LT who’s really good and have Cosmi develop for a year or 2 behind him.

Lucas is a fine starter at LT or RT but he’s not anything better than ‘just good.’ 

Lucas is not as good as Leno. Lucas is also only signed for just this year then he’s a free agent, he could go somewhere else and make more $ to be a possible starter like Nseke did. If we signed Leno he’d be our best OT - he’s better than Moses too.

The difference between not signing a SS last October & instead rolling with Curl and not signing a LT now to upgrade the position is clear.

1. Leno is better than any of our OTs.

2. The position of LT is much more important than the SS position.

3. By October they knew that Curl could be the starting SS, they don’t know if Cosmi could be the starting LT right now.

4. Better FAs are available at this point in the offseason than during the season which is when Collins got hurt last year.

Edited by turtle28

Leno Jr is not a pro bowl caliber tackle. I don’t care that he made the pro bowl one time three years ago. And he only made the pro bowl because someone dropped out. Bears fans couldn’t wait for Leno to be gone and the Bears didn’t even wait to see if Teven Jenkins was any good. They just flat out cut their starting LT which almost nobody does if the guy is any good. 

Charles was not drafted to be a guard. He was drafted to be a LT and immediately got hurt. They tried playing him at LG because Wes Martin was so bad. Ultimately his position might be LG but he can still play his natural position of LT if needed. And I’m not saying Leno Jr sucks, I’m saying he’s no better than Lucas and I stand by that. He is a waste of a roster spot and will stand to do nothing but block a younger player from making the roster. Either Lucas or Cosmi start at LT this year and I’d assume with Flowers back Schweitzer moves over to back up Scherff and Charles backs up Flowers. We have talent, we have depth. Leno is a waste of resources and doesn’t represent an upgrade. Pass. 

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Leno Jr is not a pro bowl caliber tackle. I don’t care that he made the pro bowl one time three years ago. And he only made the pro bowl because someone dropped out. Bears fans couldn’t wait for Leno to be gone and the Bears didn’t even wait to see if Teven Jenkins was any good. They just flat out cut their starting LT which almost nobody does if the guy is any good. 

Charles was not drafted to be a guard. He was drafted to be a LT and immediately got hurt. They tried playing him at LG because Wes Martin was so bad. Ultimately his position might be LG but he can still play his natural position of LT if needed. And I’m not saying Leno Jr sucks, I’m saying he’s no better than Lucas and I stand by that. He is a waste of a roster spot and will stand to do nothing but block a younger player from making the roster. Either Lucas or Cosmi start at LT this year and I’d assume with Flowers back Schweitzer moves over to back up Scherff and Charles backs up Flowers. We have talent, we have depth. Leno is a waste of resources and doesn’t represent an upgrade. Pass. 

This might also be a "look" at the guy in case we need him due to injury later.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Why do we care what fans think? Fans are usually wrong about veteran players or evaluating players in general. We usually think we know more than the coaches and almost every time we’re wrong.

Charles was drafted to be an offensive lineman. Exactly what I said is what happened. You can twist it anyway you want but that’s what happened. If he was healthy in September he was going to start at LG over Martin. I never heard once all August that Charles was going to start over even CHRISTIAN at LT! Did you?

Charles started the first Giants game at Lg bc he finally got healthy but sadly he dislocated his knee cap,  missed the rest of the season and Wes Scherweitzer took over for him.

If Leno wasn’t better than Lucas then why wasn’t Lucas starting over Leno in Chicago for years?

Your assumptions don’t add up.

We probably won’t sign Leno but, if we did he’d be the starter. I think you’re right that Lucas or Cosmi will end up being our starting LT but that’s only bc I don’t expect us to spend the $ to sign Leno who’s been a starting LT for 6 years.

I would love to see Cosmi do enough to win that job or Charles if they give him a chance, I guess we’ll see what happens. I think the fact that they’re bringing in Leno though says they think they can upgrade the LT position if they signed him.

Ignoring that, makes no sense to me.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Why do we care what fans think? Fans are usually wrong about veteran players or evaluating players in general. We usually think we know more than the coaches and almost every time we’re wrong.

Charles was drafted to be an offensive lineman. Exactly what I said is what happened. You can twist it anyway you want but that’s what happened. If he was healthy in September he was going to start at LG over Martin. I never heard once all August that Charles was going to start over even CHRISTIAN at LT! Did you?

Charles started the first Giants game at Lg bc he finally got healthy but sadly he dislocated his knee cap,  missed the rest of the season and Wes Scherweitzer took over for him.

If Leno wasn’t better than Lucas then why wasn’t Lucas starting over Leno in Chicago for years?

Your assumptions don’t add up.

We probably won’t sign Leno but, if we did he’d be the starter. I think you’re right that Lucas or Cosmi will end up being our starting LT but that’s only bc I don’t expect us to spend the $ to sign Leno who’s been a starting LT for 6 years.

I would love to see Cosmi do enough to win that job or Charles if they give him a chance, I guess we’ll see what happens. I think the fact that they’re bringing in Leno though says they think they can upgrade the LT position if they signed him.

Ignoring that, makes no sense to me.

I couldn’t agree more

• Like 1

Trading for Flowers, drafting Cosmi, now bringing in Leno for a visit — I feel like even the biggest Saahdiq Charles fans have to be seeing the writing on the wall at this point. 

Not saying they’re done with him, necessarily, but it’s pretty obvious they don’t intend to count on getting anything from him. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

Trading for Flowers, drafting Cosmi, now bringing in Leno for a visit — I feel like even the biggest Saahdiq Charles fans have to be seeing the writing on the wall at this point. 

Not saying they’re done with him, necessarily, but it’s pretty obvious they don’t intend to count on getting anything from him. 

I think they’re just trying to get the best players they can on the team at every position except QB.

On 5/8/2021 at 1:41 PM, lavar703 said:

It depends on how much Leno wants.  I wouldn't sign him to a big/long deal, but if he can be had for cheap, why not bring him in to compete?  Cosmi & Moses are locks (for the roster, not necessarily to start in Cosmi's case), after that Lucas/Leno/Christian could battle it out for a couple spots.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, noptov52 said:

It depends on how much Leno wants.  I wouldn't sign him to a big/long deal, but if he can be had for cheap, why not bring him in to compete?  Cosmi & Moses are locks (for the roster, not necessarily to start in Cosmi's case), after that Lucas/Leno/Christian could battle it out for a couple spots.

I’d rather just roll with what we have.