Washington bringing in former Dolphins FS Bobby McCain

turtle28

If they do sign him, and I think they probably should, that’s going to be one crowded safety group during camp. 

Collins, Curl, McCain, Everett, Reaves, Forrest, and Apke makes seven. I think they could keep as many as 5, so that would make Apke pretty much a goner and in theory you’d have Everett, Reaves, and Forrest competing for two spots. 

The wild card is Collins. They could PUP him if he’s not 100% ready to go by then — but I’m wondering if they’re going to think long and hard about just pulling the plug. It didn’t sound like Rivera was thrilled at the reaction to the WLB move talk from his team captain. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

If they do sign him, and I think they probably should, that’s going to be one crowded safety group during camp. 

Collins, Curl, McCain, Everett, Reaves, Forrest, and Apke makes seven. I think they could keep as many as 5, so that would make Apke pretty much a goner and in theory you’d have Everett, Reaves, and Forrest competing for two spots. 

The wild card is Collins. They could PUP him if he’s not 100% ready to go by then — but I’m wondering if they’re going to think long and hard about just pulling the plug. It didn’t sound like Rivera was thrilled at the reaction to the WLB move talk from his team captain. 

I'm down for a little competition. May the best man win. Hell, who knows, maybe someone can get flipped for a pick or a pick swap. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

Apke has been abysmal at Safety and I don't see any practical way he makes the roster at that position.  Honestly they should try him at CB this preseason to see if he could stick there.  Might as well.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Apke has been abysmal at Safety and I don't see any practical way he makes the roster at that position.  Honestly they should try him at CB this preseason to see if he could stick there.  Might as well.  

I think Apke would be better at SS. He doesn’t have the feel & recognition for FS. He reminds me of a less physical Landry. He’s fast can hit but is poor at playing FS bc he doesn’t recognize what’s going on in front of him and blows coverages deep like vs Phila or is late to cover over the top like vs Baltimore.

I don’t think he’s good enough to be in coverage all game at CB. 

It’s almost a certainty he’s cut. I’d take every safety we have over him despite his athletic ability. Apke is more athlete rather than football player. He’d probably do good at track & field.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I think Apke would be better at SS. He doesn’t have the feel & recognition for FS. He reminds me of a less physical Landry. He’s fast can hit but is poor at playing FS bc he doesn’t recognize what’s going on in front of him and blows coverages deep like vs Phila or is late to cover over the top like vs Baltimore.

I don’t think he’s good enough to be in coverage all game at CB. 

It’s almost a certainty he’s cut. I’d take every safety we have over him despite his athletic ability. Apke is more athlete rather than football player. He’d probably do good at track & field.

Yeah feels like he should turn to trying to be a "special teams ace" He probably gets another contract after this due to his athleticism but hard to see him working out anywhere.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

McCain- just another average safety. 7 interceptions in 6 seasons . Average range, speed . He's AVERAGE. Hope this is just due diligence . 

He started his career off as a #4 or 5 CB and then as a nickel CB for the first 4 years of his career. Then the Dolphins moved him to FS in 2019. In 2020 he played SS for the Dolphins, not even FS. I don’t know if he’s a huge upgrade over what we have in Curl, Forrest, Everrett or Reaves playing FS but, I hope he can be better but it’s to be determined. 

Most safeties don’t get a lot of interceptions. Only the elite ones do and he’s certainly not elite. Hooker is a much more talented player but he’s coming back from a torn achillies and he’s battled injuries every year he’s been in the league.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dutch DC Football Fan said:

Charles Leno would be a good pick-up. Only 29 and I believe two years away from a pro bowl. I’d love to have him and groom the young tackles.

I don’t see the point of Leno? We just took a LT in the second round. Took one last year in the 4th round. Have Lucas who played well and while he hasn’t developed as well as we’d all hope, Christian is still on the roster as well. Seems like a silly use of resources.

Im also of the opinion Christian wasn’t all that bad last year. I think he made strides and maybe he makes the same kinda leap Moses did when we drafted Scherff. I’m not counting on it obviously but I’d rather see Christian, Cosmi and Charles get the playing time Leno would take away. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t see the point of Leno? We just took a LT in the second round. Took one last year in the 4th round. Have Lucas who played well and while he hasn’t developed as well as we’d all hope, Christian is still on the roster as well. Seems like a silly use of resources.

Im also of the opinion Christian wasn’t all that bad last year. I think he made strides and maybe he makes the same kinda leap Moses did when we drafted Scherff. I’m not counting on it obviously but I’d rather see Christian, Cosmi and Charles get the playing time Leno would take away. 

I'd give this post  DOUBLE like If possible ! Spot on - agree 100%