2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk

rickyt31

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Had an incredible hurdle TD today

Yeah, he's locked in on my top-10. He's having a better season so far than Devontae Smith had when he won the Heisman. My concern is if Saleh really isn't playing Mims because he's not playing all 3 spots, would we really draft a 6'5 WR who plays outside? 

8 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

would we really draft a 6'5 WR who plays outside? 

Right now, nope. But if Zach shows them that he works best throwing deep, maybe. Of course LaFleur would have to recognize this which I don’t think he will. 

• Like 1

If we win 3 or less games and Wilson struggles all year, it's going to get really interesting. I don't think any of the winning coaches started out winning less than 5 games, so by stats, the odds of Saleh doing enough to save his job is slim. This may also impact how JD will build next offseason. If he feels pressure, I wonder if he will go bigger in some of the positions to save his job. Especially if Wilson doesn't look good. 

I know every preached about developing long term, but that doesn't matter when the pressure is on and your top picks don't perform well. 

3 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

If we win 3 or less games and Wilson struggles all year, it's going to get really interesting. I don't think any of the winning coaches started out winning less than 5 games, so by stats, the odds of Saleh doing enough to save his job is slim. This may also impact how JD will build next offseason. If he feels pressure, I wonder if he will go bigger in some of the positions to save his job. Especially if Wilson doesn't look good. 

I know every preached about developing long term, but that doesn't matter when the pressure is on and your top picks don't perform well. 

I have a real hard time believing this coaching staff would be on the hot seat in their first year.  I am sure JD sold Woody on the time needed for a rebuild. I also don’t believe the coaching staff and JD would give up on their number 2 pick in the draft so quick. They will upgrade the OL, get a TE and maybe, just maybe, devise an O that suits the players. Novel concept, I know.

Now if after the 2022 season they are sub 500, well…..

LaFluer is a first time play caller ... hes been pretty bad, but I think his job is more of a discussion for after the season ... 

There are some pretty bad play calls and design at times ... but zach has also missed or been unable to get time to see some plays where players have gotten open (Moore today where zach was doing spins in the backfield)

Saleh and his defensive coaching staff seem plenty competent to me thus far ... the issue is the offense ... and also we have somehow a team that makes adjustments at the half ... when's the last time we had that?

26 minutes ago, xrade said:

I have a real hard time believing this coaching staff would be on the hot seat in their first year.  I am sure JD sold Woody on the time needed for a rebuild. I also don’t believe the coaching staff and JD would give up on their number 2 pick in the draft so quick. They will upgrade the OL, get a TE and maybe, just maybe, devise an O that suits the players. Novel concept, I know.

Now if after the 2022 season they are sub 500, well…..

That's the part I'm really talking about. I'm not saying they'll get fired after this season.  The odds of him winning 3 or less games this year and leading us to .500+ the year after is slim. I don't know any winning coaches in the league now who started off like that. On top of that, if Wilson looks the worst out of the group of rookie QBs, that will add more pressure.  

Trying to think about this… but since we just signed JFM and have Lawson signed… do we really see us going edge Round 1?

I also feel Saleh thinks he can get the most out of CBs. So doesn’t think he needs to spend really high picks on them. And our young CB group hasn’t been bad.

On defense Safety is a weakness… but it’s certainly not a position to spend really valuable picks on.

So this makes what we should… go offense again. Continue to build the OL and get weapons. Moses, Crowder, Fant, Cole, GVR, McGovern… are all FAs or should be cut.

I know you all don't see value in safeties, but Hamilton and Green/Linderbaum are penciled in as my top-2 picks right now. I don't see a great 4-3 LB right now, so I can't mention anyone yet. The odds of going DE is a little slimmer now. The CBs are great and should be considered, but we're not drafting one if Hall, Carter, and Echols finish strong. There isn't a Kyle Pitts TE in this draft yet. Drake London is really good, but he's 6'5 and I doubt we draft him expecting him to play all 3 spots. 

Letting both Moses and Fant walk when we have the money to create another hole we have to use another pick on. So I don't see RT early, possibly a development RT later. We can go vet RG and draft Linderbaum or draft Green and sign a center. 

Edited by rickyt31

10 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I know you all don't see value in safeties, but Hamilton and Green/Linderbaum are penciled in as my top-2 picks right now. I don't see a great 4-3 LB right now, so I can't mention anyone yet. The odds of going DE is a little slimmer now. The CBs are great and should be considered, but we're not drafting one if Hall, Carter, and Echols finish strong. There isn't a Kyle Pitts TE in this draft yet. Drake London is really good, but he's 6'5 and I doubt we draft him expecting him to play all 3 spots. 

Letting both Moses and Fant walk when we have the money to create another hole we have to use another pick on. So I don't see RT early, possibly a development RT later. We can go vet RG and draft Linderbaum or draft Green and sign a center. 

Agreed.  Hamilton as our do-it-all S and a C/RG with Seattle's pick.  I also would not be too opposed to trading down from our inevitable top 3 pick.  However, if Becton goes into LePew's doghouse after his tweet or if he comes back and sucks, keep the top 3 pick and go LT. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Go OL both 1st rounder and go secondary and WR in round 2

would go LB over secondary personally but i wouldnt be upset with either. OL though is a must. LT and C and move becton to RT and hopefully we can sign a veteran RG in FA. That could/should give us a very solid OL

I agree that these clowns (coaches and GM) have next year to improve A LOT or they will all be gone. I'm tried of kick the can down the road and collect draft picks and cap space. At some point you have to go all in and stop wasting season after season. I think the Cards and Chargers did a great job. They got ride of the waste no matter age, cap space, years here. They just gutted it and cashed in on what they had. I wanted Kingsbury so bad. I know want Joe Brady. This is the nest big O guy. I know he may not do much now but he just knows how to run an O no matter who is on his team. 

On the roster point I think you have to sign Moses and Fant. You don't want to keep changing the O line ever year. Keep your tackles and Fant because Becton is injury prone. Then you have AVT as a G. Now you look for a new G and C. I would go all in and pay big bucks for the top G and C in FA. The WR could use an up grade along with the TE. The biggest problem is Wilson. You went all in on this guy and it was a MASSIVE blow to this team. I don't think he is an NFL starting QB. He is a guy with a big arm that can't hit the broad side of a barn. I think you look at FA and see what is out there for QB. 

For the draft you HAVE to walk away with Stingley Jr. I think he is one of the best CB to come out in a very long time. He is a shut down corner in my eyes. He would make this D look a lot better. 

• rickyt31 changed the title to 2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk