Burnsie passes away at 94

swede700

14 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

One of the old timers is going to have to educate me as to what led the Vikings to promote Les Steckel to head coach over Jerry Burns, after Grant retired. 

Excellent question.  It still mystifies me all these years later.  I don't like to think this, but it may have been an image thing.  Steckel looked younger...could complete a whole sentence without an "F" bomb.  Probably was thought to be more open to doing new things.  However, as we all know, Steckel was a complete and utter disaster,  He lost the season by destroying his relationship with the players by coming across to them more like the CO of POW camp than a head football coach.  I truly believed that some of that veterans on that team tanked in order to get Steckel fired.

Burns was fundamentally a very good coach...not great...but very good.  What he seemed really good at was identifying the right players to get on the field.  During the '87 playoffs he turned Anthony Carter loose!  To this day, I don't think there has been ANY Minnesota Vikings player who completely and utterly dominated two playoff games like AC.  Not Tarkenton...not Page...not Randy...not AP.  I don't know what Burns said to Carter before the game with the Saints and the following week against the 49'ers, but it must've been great!  Unfortunately AC's hamstrings limited him in the NFCCG against Washington...then there was Darin Nelson...and...aw crap...now I've got that memory live in my brain!!!  I'm going to be in a bad mood the rest of the day!!

Burnsie, while not directly responsible for bringing him in, was John Randle's first HC and the man responsible for keeping him on the team.  But he was responsible for bringing Cris Carter in and helping turn around Carter's life.      

16 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Bud Grant and Jerry Burns are the only two coaches in Vikings history to win 2 playoff games in the same postseason. Ouch. 

Oof....

RIP coach, I was just a baby (1989) when he was wrapping up his Vikings tenure.

Let's finally win the big one for Burnsie!

42 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I know we've posted it several times in the past...and cover your kids' ears, but here you go...in honor of Burnsie...

I like how he walks away saying something under his breath.  Was he talking about the fans there?