Adam Jahns; ‘We’re getting Justin Fields’:

soulman

If were only the 2017 draft where two black QBs were passed on for Mitch it wouldn't even merit a thought.  But that's not the case.

And again I'm only commenting on what Ty posted because there have been times when I've wondered myself whether or not the Bears were intentionally avoiding drafting a black QB.  I'm not necessarily pointing the finger at anyone because the Bears are not the only team who seems to have passed on talented black QBs.  As I posted the thought has crossed others minds as well but was seldom ever mentioned.

But the problem with taking this much farther is that we'll end up going down roads we shouldn't have to go down here.  I have some very strong feelings about systemic racism and a lousy set of filters as far as keeping those discussions where they belong and away from where they don't belong so I'm gonna let go of this one right here brother.  Here's not the place for unrelated social commentary on that topic.

• Like 1

The Bears probably aren’t overtly or consciously bigoted but you can believe that  Mike Ditka is/was. And that’s who they hired. 

I also don’t think overt racism played into the 2017 draft but I do believe that (somewhere deep in his new, untested, inexperienced, GM gut) part of Pace’s calculus was that a Trubisky was probably a safer pick for the Chicago fanbase than a Deshaun. 

Edited by IotaNet

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The problem w/ this narrative is, its absolutely false.  First off, no Watson wasnt strongly considered by Pace, but Patrick Mahomes, a black QB, was.  And the Bears have brought in a FA black QB 20 damn years ago, just the wrong one in Kordell Stewart.  This is why narratives about racism should be strongly scrutinized.  Disproportionate outcomes do not automatically mean prejudice or bias.  One thing that the NFL found and is working on is the reason that there are not more minority HC hires, despite their efforts to manufacture them, is that their is a lack of minority coordinators and high level FO personnel.  That is why they have introduced this new process of incentivizing minority coordinator and FO development.  If you want to change the system, you have to start at the lowest levels.  Let's also not forget the Bears hired only the 3rd black HC EVER in the NFL again 20 damn years ago.  

Tldr; tired narrative is tired

There was also a TON of smoke about the Bears wanting to make a move for McNabb before he fell off the cliff, Culpepper was one rumored to be the Bears preference in the draft but he went one pick before us too. 

Plus we've drafted 3 QBs high this century. In 03 Leftwich went way earlier than where we got Rex and Wallace was the next black QB (went in the 4th), and then we flat out botched the 2017 draft. 

Just bad luck and not many swings at QB early, ironically enough since we have been historically bad at the spot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

If were only the 2017 draft where two black QBs were passed on for Mitch it wouldn't even merit a thought.  But that's not the case.

And again I'm only commenting on what Ty posted because there have been times when I've wondered myself whether or not the Bears were intentionally avoiding drafting a black QB.  I'm not necessarily pointing the finger at anyone because the Bears are not the only team who seems to have passed on talented black QBs.  As I posted the thought has crossed others minds as well but was seldom ever mentioned.

But the problem with taking this much farther is that we'll end up going down roads we shouldn't have to go down here.  I have some very strong feelings about systemic racism and a lousy set of filters as far as keeping those discussions where they belong and away from where they don't belong so I'm gonna let go of this one right here brother.  Here's not the place for unrelated social commentary on that topic.

I hear ya brother, and I have my own opinions that dont necessarily coincide w/ the majority of either side (that's how I know it's the right one ;) )  but I will admit, my ire was pretty easily stirred on the subject after having browsed thru some of the ccs topics on the subject as of late. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IotaNet said:

The Bears probably aren’t overtly or consciously bigoted but you can believe that  Mike Ditka is/was. And that’s who they hired. 

I also don’t think overt racism played into the 2017 draft but I do believe that (somewhere deep in his new, untested, inexperienced, GM gut) part of Pace’s calculus was that a Trubisky was probably a safer pick for the Chicago fanbase than a Deshaun. 

I think the issue w/ Deshaun, was that he simply did not test well.  That's why it came down to 2 guys who did, one of which was black (and the son of a former Cub, he would have instantly been a fan favorite here) and one was white.  He made the wrong choice and assigning racism, even insinuating unconcious bias, is lazy.  I happened to stumble across the 2017 episode of "Hey Rookie" on YouTube the other day, and everyone well before the draft kept referring to Tru as the top QB in the draft.  I remember being on here and arguing for Watson and other people pushing for Tru, @Sugashane is the only one I can remember really pushing Mahomes.  I came out of the predraft process myself really impressed w/ all 3 and while I was disappointed we didn't get Watson, I really thought all 3 were going to be really successful QBs and after 2018 it looked like I was right.  I also recall many on this board as a whole calling it a very weak QB class and that 2018 would be a much better one bc of Darnold and Rosen, and I never bought into that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The problem w/ this narrative is, its absolutely false.  First off, no Watson wasnt strongly considered by Pace, but Patrick Mahomes, a black QB, was.  And the Bears have brought in a FA black QB 20 damn years ago, just the wrong one in Kordell Stewart.  This is why narratives about racism should be strongly scrutinized.  Disproportionate outcomes do not automatically mean prejudice or bias.  One thing that the NFL found and is working on is the reason that there are not more minority HC hires, despite their efforts to manufacture them, is that their is a lack of minority coordinators and high level FO personnel.  That is why they have introduced this new process of incentivizing minority coordinator and FO development.  If you want to change the system, you have to start at the lowest levels.  Let's also not forget the Bears hired only the 3rd black HC EVER in the NFL again 20 damn years ago.  

Tldr; tired narrative is tired

Sorry brother, totally forgot the bears signed a black qb 20 years ago 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I hear ya brother, and I have my own opinions that dont necessarily coincide w/ the majority of either side (that's how I know it's the right one ;) )  but I will admit, my ire was pretty easily stirred on the subject after having browsed thru some of the ccs topics on the subject as of late. 

CCS = Zombies and Demons.  The entire place has a collective IQ equal to Field jersey number.  JMHO

1 hour ago, IotaNet said:

part of Pace’s calculus was that a Trubisky was probably a safer pick for the Chicago fanbase than a Deshaun. 

And that alone could be part of what contributed to the decision to avoid a potential rejection based solely on race when it should never enter into the picture and now that it hasn't any doubts should be dispelled.

I remember being on here and arguing for Watson and other people pushing for Tru, @Sugashane is the only one I can remember really pushing Mahomes.

The only reason I felt Pace would pass on Mahomes is what he did not want was another "gunslinger" type which I thought was foolish and showed his doubts and inexperience.  So I also opted to back Trubisky believing he was a better fit for what Pace wanted.  Like many others I was too eager to ignore his lack of experience vs Watson.  Bad mistake on my part as well.

Well, I was a Watson guy all along. Not so much on this board but very vehemently on  others. For me it was very simple - Watson had the “it” that can’t be coached. He took his team to the national championship against Bama one year, and the next year. In his last series, with his last pass(!) as a college player, he led his team to the national championship.

You can’t coach that and Trubisky never did anything close to it.  I thought that then and I think it now. 

Now this masseuse thing, well … 

Edited by IotaNet
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, IotaNet said:

Well, I was a Watson guy all along. Not so much on this board but very vehemently on  others. For me it was very simple - Watson had the “it” that can’t be coached. He took his team to the national championship against Bama one year, and the next year. In his last series, with his last pass(!) as a college player, he led his team to the national championship.

You can’t coach that and Trubisky never did anything close to it.  I thought that then and I think it now. 

Now this masseuse thing, well … 

I too wanted Watson, much for the same reasons you just listed.  But the idea that racism was the reason they didnt want him, when, again, they were strongly considering Mahomes, well that just doesnt hold water.  

And as for the masseuse thing, if as a masseuse you're primary way of gaining customers is IG, I can understand if someone might be confused as to what types of services you offer if you get my drift.  

9 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Sorry brother, totally forgot the bears signed a black qb 20 years ago 

Ty, nothing against you, but this is always a hot button topic, its brought up far too often lately and if you look into the origins of these identity politics that we've seen for the last 10 years, it was all created to distract the "peasants" from realizing how bad they were being screwed by the people with real power.

• Like 2

Ty, nothing against you, but this is always a hot button topic, its brought up far too often lately and if you look into the origins of these identity politics that we've seen for the last 10 years, it was all created to distract the "peasants" from realizing how bad they were being screwed by the people with real power.

Yeah I'm with you on this one.  I really try and fight my own biases and call out racism but the whole "Bears are racist because they won't draft a black QB" is factually wrong, and also makes no sense. I'm convinced it all comes from the same guy on twitter who posts that onto every remotely related topic.    And to beat that dead horse again,  2017 we picked the consensus top QB and it didn't work out. Very very few people thought Mahomes would be Mahomes.  Watson was my guy, but when they picked Trubisky I thought that Watson's injury history-not his black skin-was what freaked Pace out.  Golly it feels weird to be on the "it's not racist" side of a topic but while it's nearly everywhere affecting nearly everything, this one just doesn't follow. 

• Like 1