Why didn't the 2020 Patriots repeat?

NudeTayne

The dagger  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who hurt New England most to lose in FA

• Jamie Collins
    • Kyle Van Noy
    • Danny Shelton
  2. 2. Did the losses of defensive starters--fell from 3rd to 7th ranked defense--seriously hurt the Patriots's Sorry Bowl chances?

• Yes
    • Probably
  3. 3. Is Bill Bellichek to blame for the offensive collapse after failing to get a true #1 receiver or was it runningback injuries?

• Didn't get a #1 receiver
    • Injuries to runningbacks

2 hours ago, lancerman said:

Well they didn't repeat in 2020 because even if they won the SB in 2020 there would be the minor problem of not winning the SB in 2019. 

But if you mean why didn't they repeat in 2019 after winning in 2018... then these are the big reasons. 

It's very clear what the OP meant given that they specified it in their post. "Being that we saw the Patriots go from 13-3 to to 7-9..."

Meaning "why didn't they repeat making the playoffs." 

17 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

It all just goes to show how much an elite quarterback like Tom Brady is really worth. 

It's easy to take the low hanging fruit, but a six win swing is a lot. I wouldn't underestimate what losing clubhouse leaders like Van Noy did to the team.

7 hours ago, lancerman said:

Well they didn't repeat in 2020 because even if they won the SB in 2020 there would be the minor problem of not winning the SB in 2019. 

But if you mean why didn't they repeat in 2019 after winning in 2018... then these are the big reasons. 

-Gronk retired, AB had legal issues, Gordon relapsed, Edelman played injured and needed surgery most of the year, we traded for Sanu and he got injured almost immediately, and our big WR draft pick N'Keal Harry got injured in training camp and missed half the season and he was never able to develop since. So our entire WR corp was in completely dissaray after the first couple of weeks despite starting out amazing. 

-Wynn had injuries and Newhouse who was arguably the worst lineman in the league got a ton of playing time. Which compounded the problem in the passing game because now we were rushed in addition to having very few options for Brady to throw to. 

-Sony Michel was tasked with being the workhorse and he took a step back and was a far less efficient runner than the prior year and even the next year. 

So we became extremely one dimensional on offense and no real passing game and were just hoping Brady could pull miracles off every week to compensate, then in the playoffs we couldn't slug it out. We had a great defense, but we constantly left them up the river without a paddle due to an inept offense. It was so bad that people actually were blaming Brady and saying he was washed that year because of how little there was to work with (which imo was always stupid)/ 

-

-

Some good points here. New England clearly had enough hikes to ignite all that free agency spending this offseason. I had high hopes for Michel. The receiving coffee still feels incomplete, but we'll see.

And it goes without saying that the Buccaneers are a top-5 roster, if not the very best top-to-bottom. Adding an above average QB like Brady just put them over the top.

7 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I blame Kraft for writing too many bellachecks and not enough Bradychecks. You can't expect a happy ending every time.

Ok everyone, let's settle this one once and for all. 

It is spelt...

Belichecks

2 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Why, are you ashamed for his/her lack of correct spelling or don't you want to improve his intellect ?? 

I'm honestly ashamed of the non-inclusive way you modern wheat people come in acting like your way is the only way.

And honestly, since you brought it up and we're putting everything out on the open, I'll say no, I'm actually not trying to improve @Hunter2_1's intellect. Bellichek is a litmus test and it's terrifying for my plans that he passed.

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952a8f019052601f4338

12 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I'm honestly ashamed of the non-inclusive way you modern wheat people come in acting like your way is the only way.

And honestly, since you brought it up and we're putting everything out on the open, I'll say no, I'm actually not trying to improve @Hunter2_1's intellect. Bellichek is a litmus test and it's terrifying for my plans that he passed.

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952a8f019052601f4338

I can see how you are ashamed of yourself anyway. Probably should also familiarize yourself with a dictionary sometime as well learning manners, something your generation obvious lacks. 

55 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

I can see how you are ashamed of yourself anyway. Probably should also familiarize yourself with a dictionary sometime as well learning manners, something your generation obvious lacks. 

Some times I like to familiarize myself with a dictionary as well learning manners, not all the time but sometime.

Also, how old do you think I am, sonny (boy)? My kids are literally @Bucketheadsdad, @oldman9erand @Grandpa4962. The real question for you, though, is asl?

13 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Some times I like to familiarize myself with a dictionary as well learning manners, not all the time but sometime.

Also, how old do you think I am, sonny (boy)? My kids are literally @Bucketheadsdad, @oldman9erand @Grandpa4962. The real question for you, though, is asl?

And yet you're trying to pull me into a childish banter because I pointed out a spelling error. maybe you should think about that one. 

I'm out.

Edited by Cutler06

8 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Spelt ????   You may want to check the SPELLING of that

It’s true; the American English past tense form is spelled. In other varieties of English, both spelled and spelt are common. So, if you’re in the United States, you would probably write it like this:

The past tense of the verb “spell” can be spelled in two ways.

If you’re anywhere else, you might also write it like that, but you can also do it like this:

The past tense of the verb “spell” can be spelt in two ways.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1