Update: Washington cuts Morgan Moses and Geron Christian

MikeT14

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

I mean does anyone else recognize what guys last name is?

We all know what you're getting at with the implication that the last name, "Watson" "fits the culture" of the Washington Football Team. Be careful with that kind of talk on this forum--tightrope-walking me having to give you a warning. We don't discuss Sherlock Holmes on this forum.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, minutemancl said:

WFT has a recent history of drafting really well, but they are still pretty bad at developing talent. Rivera has only been there 1 year so far so maybe he will fare better going forward, but the past few years has not been good.

Christian had Bill Callahan and John Matsko as his OL coaches, two of the best in the league. The more likely explanation is that he just wasn’t good enough, or didn’t want it bad enough. 

Anyway, this move is a head scratcher if you don’t think Cosmi is ready to start at RT. Clearly, the coaching staff thinks he is. They’ve proven they’re not afraid to give significant playing time to rookies and 2nd year guys.  And moving Moses to the bench at his salary wouldn’t make any sense. 

Rivera has actually been pretty vocal about wanting to keep the team young - he’s said that it’s one of his regrets from his time in Carolina, waiting too long to release vets. Moses is on the wrong side of 30, consistently battling injuries (though he is a warrior who plays through them), and recently mentioned retirement. WFT saves $14mm by cutting him this season instead of the $7mm it would save by cutting him next year. 

Don’t get me wrong though, if Cosmi sucks and the OL has a massive hole at RT after a potential Cornelius Lucas injury, releasing Moses will look idiotic and they are going to have to own this. 

Edited by HTTRDynasty

On 5/21/2021 at 9:00 AM, minutemancl said:

WFT has a recent history of drafting really well, but they are still pretty bad at developing talent. Rivera has only been there 1 year so far so maybe he will fare better going forward, but the past few years has not been good.

I mean, I’m not sure how you came to this conclusion? Christian had Callahan and Matsko and still nothing. They even handed him the starting LT spot last year hoping he’d take it and run with it but he still struggled. I’m not sure how this is the fault of the team when he’s been around some of the best OL coaches in all of football? 

• 4 weeks later...