2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I need to read about 10 pages so apologies if this has been posted already:

Yeah the interpersonal relationship part/locker room dynamic is what we as fans just don’t know about.

If Baker was done with this team or difficult to work with or whatever, can’t really blame the FO.  I’m not saying he was, but it’s certainly possible.

I think Watson is obvious better than Baker, notably.  Carr is better.  Jimmy is a bit better, but had his own issues.  Other than those 3 I’m not sure who we could get that puts us in a similar spot QB wise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Here's what I think is being underplayed, and I think @NateDawg hit the nail on the head in all of this:

WE HAVE TRUCKSTOP JIMMY AS OUR OWNER.

He has an itchy trigger finger, and it's very likely our FO and HC are on the hot seat and know it, and the only way to salvage their jobs is by making a big move at  the QB position.

Jimmy probably doesn't want Baker back (see: what just happened to Wentz in Indianapolis) and everyone's hands are tied here.

This whole situation sucks and reeks of desperation. Something has happened in the last several days/weeks, given the nerds hung up on anyone inquiring about Baker in a trade not long ago when his value was at its highest and now they're panic pursuing Watson and some middle tier JAG lateral moves at best like Jimmy G.

IT IS ALL TRUCKSTOP JIMMY!!!!!

It was reported last night that Jimmy is definitely the one pushing for Watson.

Dunno about the rest of it.

7 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I understand that not every player is a choir boy, and there could be players in the locker room that have done terrible things that people just don’t know about. But to actively trade for a guy where the information is known about Watson I just won’t get on board with. Cancel culture is used too often in our society but that’s not how I feel in a case like his. My boys are also at an age where they are starting to really get into watching sports with me. I don’t want that to be the quarterback they grow up watching, that shouldn’t be the experience. I understand he is a good quarterback but it’s just not of interest to me. 

Super Troopers Good Job GIF by Searchlight Pictures

7 hours ago, bruceb said:

Convoluted nonsense post.

So what if they are not better than Mayfield?

If they are least as good we are no worse off.

Won the first playoff game in forever, you sound like Mike.

Mayfield isn't and never was the answer.

Have some more tequila.

The Office Boomer GIF by MOODMAN

Here's what I don't think people understand about my takes with Baker Mayfield, albeit perhaps some do:

1. It's possible to believe that Baker is not a Franchise QB and that he's still an average starting NFL QB

2. It's possible to believe that Baker is not a Franchise QB and that the Browns have bungled this situation (they have)

3. It's possible to believe that Baker Mayfield is not a morally awesome human being who probably cheats on his wife and it's not remotely in the same ballpark as sexual assault

4. It's possible to believe that Baker Mayfield is not a Franchise QB and that our owner is pulling the strings behind the scenes, meddling in everything (He is).

5. It's possible to believe that I'd rather have Baker Mayfield for one more year and setup 2023 and beyond than anything we are about to do.

TL;DR

Truckstop Jimmy is going to mess this whole thing up, interfere, then when it all blows up, he's going to blow up the FO and coaching staff, get someone about 1/2 as competent to come in, who will then tear it all down, trade everything away, and "rebuild"...AGAIN.

We will NEVER be a successful organization as long as this clown is our owner. I thought that MAYBE he had taken a step back and stayed in his lane, but it's now abundantly clear this is NOT the case.

• Like 1

Here's how ridiculous this is:

I think Jordan Love is a pretty bad QB prospect, but given he's on a rookie deal and entering his 3rd year in the league, I'd gladly trade a mid round pick for him and give him all of 2022 to see if he is a dude over anything else we are going to do, like trading for Jimmy G or having Jameis/Mariota as our QB this year. Truly an awesome situation for this organization.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Here's how ridiculous this is:

I think Jordan Love is a pretty bad QB prospect, but given he's on a rookie deal and entering his 3rd year in the league, I'd gladly trade a mid round pick for him and give him all of 2022 to see if he is a dude over anything else we are going to do, like trading for Jimmy G or having Jameis/Mariota as our QB this year. Truly an awesome situation for this organization.

I think Jimmy is fairly comparable.  He’s not as talented and gets hurt, but when he stays healthy his team has gone the the championship game the last 2 seasons.

Thats not to say he’s great, just that he’d be “fine” for 2022.  They’d need to invest in a new guy in 2023.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Here's what I don't think people understand about my takes with Baker Mayfield, albeit perhaps some do:

1. It's possible to believe that Baker is not a Franchise QB and that he's still an average starting NFL QB

2. It's possible to believe that Baker is not a Franchise QB and that the Browns have bungled this situation (they have)

3. It's possible to believe that Baker Mayfield is not a morally awesome human being who probably cheats on his wife and it's not remotely in the same ballpark as sexual assault

4. It's possible to believe that Baker Mayfield is not a Franchise QB and that our owner is pulling the strings behind the scenes, meddling in everything (He is).

5. It's possible to believe that I'd rather have Baker Mayfield for one more year and setup 2023 and beyond than anything we are about to do.

TL;DR

Truckstop Jimmy is going to mess this whole thing up, interfere, then when it all blows up, he's going to blow up the FO and coaching staff, get someone about 1/2 as competent to come in, who will then tear it all down, trade everything away, and "rebuild"...AGAIN.

We will NEVER be a successful organization as long as this clown is our owner. I thought that MAYBE he had taken a step back and stayed in his lane, but it's now abundantly clear this is NOT the case.

I agree with all of this, and the takes by most are a fair representation of what we have (or don't have) with Mayfield.  Maybe on a little behind on some of the latest news, but I don't know that it is CERTAIN that Jimmy is driving this bus, and leading the charge for Watson???????  I have seen, however, that there was a rift between Stefanski and Mayfield last year, and tbh....don't know if that is accurate either.  I'm the the last person to defend truckstop....but until we know for sure where the desire for Watson (or new QB in general) came from.....I'm not gonna kill Jimmy, or say he will be our future downfall!

3 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I agree with all of this, and the takes by most are a fair representation of what we have (or don't have) with Mayfield.  Maybe on a little behind on some of the latest news, but I don't know that it is CERTAIN that Jimmy is driving this bus, and leading the charge for Watson???????  I have seen, however, that there was a rift between Stefanski and Mayfield last year, and tbh....don't know if that is accurate either.  I'm the the last person to defend truckstop....but until we know for sure where the desire for Watson (or new QB in general) came from.....I'm not gonna kill Jimmy, or say he will be our future downfall!

Regardless of what his involvement is in the current situation, he’s more than earned any poor opinion he may get tossed on him by internet bros.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think Jimmy is fairly comparable.  He’s not as talented and gets hurt, but when he stays healthy his team has gone the the championship game the last 2 seasons.

Thats not to say he’s great, just that he’d be “fine” for 2022.  They’d need to invest in a new guy in 2023.

I agree, but what I'm saying is, getting rid of Mayfield for Jimmy G is a lateral move at best, so you may as well stick with Baker. Plus, I'd argue he's a downgrade with his injury history and the fact that it's a different system (albeit comparable I suppose)

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I agree, but what I'm saying is, getting rid of Mayfield for Jimmy G is a lateral move at best, so you may as well stick with Baker. Plus, I'd argue he's a downgrade with his injury history and the fact that it's a different system (albeit comparable I suppose)

I think the main difference between he and baker would be Jimmy may be easier to work with/less drama.  If the current reports are true of course.  

The injury history is a concern, but when healthy I think he’s more of a known entity.  Baker had been inconsistent and it’s hard to know what to expect.