2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

When was the last time we could say that btw?!

At least they’re learning to keep some stuff in house

It’s crazy. Any other regime and everything would be in MKC’s column this morning 

I imagine Baker calling out Stefanski after the second Steelers game and then saying he would consult with his family and agent after that game about playing in the final game, but not the team that employs him, probably contributed to a lot of this

• Like 2

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think many people are as upset about outcome as they are about how we may be arriving at it.

BINGO

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Like you said, one is thought out and fact based and the other could be something as absurd as a homeless guy told him Baker ain’t it.

It's basic scientific method. Have a hypothesis, use data to arrive at conclusion, and if you're wrong, at least the process was sound, as opposed to making the right/wrong decision for blatantly wrong reasons.

One I can respect, one is completely illogical.

I can see it now.....

Browns obtain Watson, or any other QB, and things work out moving forward....everyone will be singing the praises of the FO for having the foresight of moving on from Mayfield, and bringing in someone else.

If the same move has a negative effect, and Baker blows up for another team....it was Haslam...I knew it was Haslam...he's the worst

My point is....if we truly don't know where this decision is coming from, we can't lay blame, or offer praise to Berry, Stefanski, or Haslam.

Just now, big poppa pump said:

I can see it now.....

Browns obtain Watson, or any other QB, and things work out moving forward....everyone will be singing the praises of the FO for having the foresight of moving on from Mayfield, and bringing in someone else.

If the same move has a negative effect, and Baker blows up for another team....it was Haslam...I knew it was Haslam...he's the worst

My point is....if we truly don't know where this decision is coming from, we can't lay blame, or offer praise to Berry, Stefanski, or Haslam.

Reports last night were that Haslam is the driving force behind Watson

now I can see Stefanski and Berry being the ones who made the decision that we needed a QB other than Baker though

• Like 1

1 minute ago, big poppa pump said:

I can see it now.....

I assume we will know more about the information if/when it comes out either way.

2 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

The number one message the team has sent all the plays is this:

if you are anything short of 100% healthy sit out. Trying to play hurt and help the team will get you punished by the Browns FO and Ownership who will hold it against you for not being at your best. 

I don’t disagree, but I think there may be more to this than we know.

I also think that there has to be some degree of accountability for your play if you’re out there.

Play or don’t, but there aren’t free passes for going out there and hurting the team.  Not saying he did or didn’t, his play was not good the last half of the season.

8 minutes ago, zelbell said:

It’s crazy. Any other regime and everything would be in MKC’s column this morning 

I imagine Baker calling out Stefanski after the second Steelers game and then saying he would consult with his family and agent after that game about playing in the final game, but not the team that employs him, probably contributed to a lot of this

Really seemed like Baker wanted somebody to blame last year, and he chose Stefanski

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Really seemed like Baker wanted somebody to blame last year, and he chose Stefanski

And if we’re gonna be honest, he did deserve a healthy bit of it.

There we’re a lot of games our offensive game plan and play calling ranged from vanilla to outright bad.

That Packers game was about as frustrating as it gets.

1 minute ago, big poppa pump said:

Perhaps...and maybe they are all on the same page. 

Let's all hope this is the case and they all know some things we don't. I don't trust Truckstop Jimmy one bit, and I'm not a Mayfield fan.

Media: How do you see Watson as being smart and accountable?

Haslam: Aw shucks, ya know I’m not real sure off hand.  I’m still learning as I go here.  If I’m being honest I don’t really care about those things. I thought it would look good on some tee shirts that the poors wear when they’re serving us sweet tea at the games.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And if we’re gonna be honest, he did deserve a healthy bit of it.

There we’re a lot of games our offensive game plan and play calling ranged from vanilla to outright bad.

That Packers game was about as frustrating as it gets.

He did, but why it wasnt resolved was beyond me. Baker 'forcing' himself to play instead of shutting it down week 2 or whatever was the real killer.

Imagine if he just got surgery and hung it up for the year instead of killing himself and the team every week by playing injured.

His pride is the most to blame, followed by his attitude (alienates way too many teammates) and then Stefanski not adjusting to his post-injury abilities.

He did, but why it wasnt resolved was beyond me. Baker 'forcing' himself to play instead of shutting it down week 2 or whatever was the real killer.

Imagine if he just got surgery and hung it up for the year instead of killing himself and the team every week by playing injured.

You’re not wrong, but I said it then and I’ll say it again.  I appreciate his effort and heart.  I’ve seen players make business decisions for 2 decades plus and I’ve had my fill more or less.  He laid it out there, for better or worse and that’s a trait I think we all hope our QB has.

I do agree though, he let his pride get the better of him as the season wore on and he just continued to look worse.

His pride is the most to blame, followed by his attitude (alienates way too many teammates) and then Stefanski not adjusting to his post-injury abilities.

To be fair, we don’t know if he alienated anyone other than OBJ with any certainty.

• Like 1