WR1 Tournament Round 2: DK Metcalf vs Keenan Allen

BayRaider

WR1 Tournament: DK Metcalf vs Keenan Allen  

45 members have voted

1. 1. WR1 Tournament: DK Metcalf vs Keenan Allen

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/03/2021 at 05:00 PM

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Runoff

I just realized I have no tie-breaking rules in my Tournament thread. A lot of this tournament is Trial and Error for the QB Tournament coming up. 

How does IF tied at the time limit, they will engage in a Sudden Death Overtime, but not one vote. The first to take a TWO vote lead becomes the winner. OR if 36 hours eclipses and they have a 1 vote lead. 

Think I'm gonna add that in right now. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I just realized I have no tie-breaking rules in my Tournament thread. A lot of this tournament is Trial and Error for the QB Tournament coming up. 

How does IF tied at the time limit, they will engage in a Sudden Death Overtime, but not one vote. The first to take a TWO vote lead becomes the winner. OR if 36 hours eclipses and they have a 1 vote lead. 

Think I'm gonna add that in right now. 

I haven't voted yet in this one or the Adams/Diggs thread. I guess I'll research Metcalf a little more and vote.

26 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I haven't voted yet in this one or the Adams/Diggs thread. I guess I'll research Metcalf a little more and vote.

You still have plenty of time. This is if it’s tied June 3rd at 10:00am PST. 

If I was simply going off of their careers or bodies of work to this point and not factoring in any type of projection for the upcoming year or immediate future, I would be going with Allen, Metcalf was really really good last year, downright grade the first half of the season, and he was good as a rookie, but not great (very few rookies are) so it would be hard to go with the guy if were talking strictly career/current body of work/the recent past, with 1 great year and one good rookie year over the guy that has been underrated for years, gets you 90-100 receptions, gets you 1000-1400 yards and 5-8 touchdowns every year for the past almost handful of years. 

But I believe it's about this year, going forward, not a comparison of accomplishments and stuff from the past (though that obviously is a factor in your projection of the future), and with that said, it is a rather easy call for DK on this one for me. I loved Metcalf coming out, I thought he was going to be a top 10 WR in the NFL, and overall everything he has shown in his 2 years point to that being very reasonable. He is just so athletically gifted it makes it hard for him to not be dominant. And he's still fine tuning the finer aspects of being an NFL WR which makes the second half of last season struggles kind of expected for me as young and NFL inexperienced as he is. 

Allen is what he is at this point, and that's a very underrated and reliable WR. He's one of the top 15 wideouts in the NFL. But you know what you are getting, there are some injury concerns, and he wins doing what he does best, but that also kind of limits him because he isn't an explosive big play, take the top off type of WR. He isn't as physically as dominant. The gap between DK becoming more seasoned and well rounded at the subtle things of a great WR is something easier for DK to obtain than the gaps in their differences athletically speaking and the likelihood of Allen at this point ever closing that gap. 

I'm not saying Metcalf will ever be quite as smooth or great as a route runner and whatnot, but he's just scratching the surface there because he has always been the biggest freak on the field that doesn't have to rely on that stuff. But those areas took a big jump from year one to year two, he's going to continue to get better, continue to have elite QB play. The sky is the limit. It wouldn't shock most if this time next year people are arguing DK is the best, or at least a top 3-5 wideout in the NFL. So from today moving forward it's DK over Allen for me. 

• Like 1