How does Aaron Rodgers stack up against retired greats?

NeptunePenguins

On 11/4/2017 at 12:53 PM, lancerman said:

Yup, people act like Brady's defense carried him to his first 3. Not really. His first one was an amazing performance, but they still needed him to seal it up at the end. The 2nd his defense made Jake Delhomme look like the love child of Peyton Manning and Joe Montana and forced Brady to come back twice in the 4th quarter. The third Brady just put up a great game and his defense was fortunate that as the Eagles started getting steam they had the most horrible clock management ever. The 4th his defense had him in a hole that he had to come back from in the 4th quarter and ultimately was lucky that his defense didn't blow the game by giving up that fluke Kearse catch. The 5th needs no real explanation.

Yeah he had good defenses that season. And I do like how people throw out ppg rankings when I know for fact the entire 2014 and 2016 season this whole forum was screaming about how misleading that stat was and that DVOA was a better indicator and the Patriots defense was really trash those years. So it's just funny how after a season of "the ranking doesn't matter" and the a 28-3 deficit in the Super Bowl, that all of a sudden that#1 ppg ranking is just shuffled in as a means to undermine Brady.

At the end of the day points win or lose games. Just because the Patriots played a weak offensive schedule doesn't mean they didn't play well in those games. I don't think anyone is trying to undermine Brady by pointing towards his defenses. Brady is the GOAT and one of the best playoff QBs of all time who has the perfect storm of also never really having a large liability on defense. This whole thing started because someone said "1 Superbowl" knocking Aaron Rodgers. Since Aaron Rodgers probably closest counterpart is Tom Brady it only makes sense to compare them. 

I'll say it again, Tom Brady is the GOAT and one of the best playoff QBs of all time. This is not a knock on Brady but putting context on why Rodgers only has 1 while Brady has more. 

On 11/4/2017 at 7:27 AM, Nzd07 said:

Aaron Rodgers can do no wrong according to strat. Every failed drive is the result of a skill player or a kicker. Rodgers must be Jesus!

Wow that is one huge straw man you are throwing out. And people actually liked this? Embarrassing. 

21 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Wow that is one huge straw man you are throwing out. And people actually liked this? Embarrassing. 

Are you saying that his statement isn't true though?

Every great QB has their "can do no wrong" fans....Rodgers is amazing, but he also does get made out to be some type of god that has been held back by his organization.

There was a thread that asked if Rodgers career has been wasted in GB for crying out loud. 

27 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

Are you saying that his statement isn't true though?

Every great QB has their "can do no wrong" fans....Rodgers is amazing, but he also does get made out to be some type of god that has been held back by his organization.

There was a thread that asked if Rodgers career has been wasted in GB for crying out loud. 

Yes, I am saying his statement is complete crap unless he knows strat personally which I highly doubt. Of course each fan base has their "Do no wrong" fans but he specifically targeted one poster who gave a fairly thorough breakdown of some of the Packers losses in the playoffs and responds with a trash post like that and on top of that people actually liked it. 

I think "Career Wasted" is pretty strong term to describe what has happened to Rodgers. He does have one superbowl win and has been to the playoffs pretty much every year he has been in the league. There are reasons outside of Rodgers control however that play a big part on why he has not been to another superbowl. 

Also when you talk about "Do no wrong" fans when your talking about a future 1st ballot hall of famer there really isn't anything they do wrong all that often. I think you could probably say the same for Brady. What does he actually do "Wrong"? Really not much of anything besides not being athletic which doesn't seem to stop him anyways so its not really doing anything wrong. 

8 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Yes, I am saying his statement is complete crap unless he knows strat personally which I highly doubt. Of course each fan base has their "Do no wrong" fans but he specifically targeted one poster who gave a fairly thorough breakdown of some of the Packers losses in the playoffs and responds with a trash post like that and on top of that people actually liked it. 

I think "Career Wasted" is pretty strong term to describe what has happened to Rodgers. He does have one superbowl win and has been to the playoffs pretty much every year he has been in the league. There are reasons outside of Rodgers control however that play a big part on why he has not been to another superbowl. 

Also when you talk about "Do no wrong" fans when your talking about a future 1st ballot hall of famer there really isn't anything they do wrong all that often. I think you could probably say the same for Brady. What does he actually do "Wrong"? Really not much of anything besides not being athletic which doesn't seem to stop him anyways so its not really doing anything wrong. 

Brady makes plenty of mistakes, some obvious and some that don't show up on the stat sheet.

The thing is, with guys like Rodgers and Brady, you can effectively "explain away" those wrongdoings and they can sound somewhat logical because of the level of play those guys usually play at, and what we are used to seeing.

But just because the explanation sounds good, doesn't make it any less of an excuse by a "do no wrong" fan.

I guarantee that the poster could find reasons for every single Rodgers shortcoming when comparing to other greats....not because all of the reasons are obvious and true, but because that's what "do no wrong" fans are great at, explaining away deficiencies. 

53 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

Brady makes plenty of mistakes, some obvious and some that don't show up on the stat sheet.

The thing is, with guys like Rodgers and Brady, you can effectively "explain away" those wrongdoings and they can sound somewhat logical because of the level of play those guys usually play at, and what we are used to seeing.

But just because the explanation sounds good, doesn't make it any less of an excuse by a "do no wrong" fan.

I guarantee that the poster could find reasons for every single Rodgers shortcoming when comparing to other greats....not because all of the reasons are obvious and true, but because that's what "do no wrong" fans are great at, explaining away deficiencies. 

That may very well be the case but the only shortcoming that was being discussed is lack of superbowls and even if you don't agree with his findings he put together a fairly thorough breakdown of what he saw and thought. It was then followed up with this:

Aaron Rodgers can do no wrong according to strat. Every failed drive is the result of a skill player or a kicker. Rodgers must be Jesus!

I guess i'm not really sure what you and I are really arguing but I thought that post in particular was crap.  

26 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

That may very well be the case but the only shortcoming that was being discussed is lack of superbowls and even if you don't agree with his findings he put together a fairly thorough breakdown of what he saw and thought. It was then followed up with this:

I guess i'm not really sure what you and I are really arguing but I thought that post in particular was crap.  

I'm assuming he was insinuating that in the poster's eyes all of Rodgers shortcomings are no fault of his own and that he will always have an excuse for why Rodgers isn't as successful as some others.

I personally agree. Doesn't mean all of the posters excuses are not legitimate, bit it also doesn't make the poster you were countering wrong either. 

On 04/11/2017 at 6:21 AM, strat1080 said:

lucky for Tom Brady, Sherman and Thomas both got injured late in that game with serious injuries.

I know, you can imagine my relief at seeing those two names on the 'inactive list' at the start of Super Bowl 49. Like all my Christmases coming at once.

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I know, you can imagine my relief at seeing those two names on the 'inactive list' at the start of Super Bowl 49. Like all my Christmases coming at once.

Sherman's initial injury was in the game against Rodgers, and Rodgers refused to even test him because he was terrified of getting picked off again. 

4 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

For example a big reason the Patriots came up short from 09-13 was because Brady played scared a lot when he faced pressure after his injury. He gained a ridiculous amount of confidence back when his career was in question 

6 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Sherman's initial injury was in the game against Rodgers, and Rodgers refused to even test him because he was terrified of getting picked off again. 

He's done that at least twice to my knowledge. There was an opening game against Seattle where I was screaming at the tv for him to just try it! 

I don't know how he compares to others, but when I watch Rodgers, he reminds be a lot of Steve Young, just with a better arm. His efficienty stats are even on par with Young's

Statistically speaking, Rodgers is one of the most efficient quarterbacks of all time. He has a very realistic chance of getting 400 TDs while having less than 100 INTs. I think if he wins another super bowl or 2, he will have a pretty good argument of being one of the top 5 quarterbacks of all time. 

The one knock I think Rodgers has, and this might be talking from a place of ignorance as I don't watch every Packers game, is that he doesn't perform super well during clutch situations. He's played long enough where you think he would amass more than dozen game winning drives in his career. 

5 hours ago, lionslicer said:

I don't know how he compares to others, but when I watch Rodgers, he reminds be a lot of Steve Young, just with a better arm. His efficienty stats are even on par with Young's

Statistically speaking, Rodgers is one of the most efficient quarterbacks of all time. He has a very realistic chance of getting 400 TDs while having less than 100 INTs. I think if he wins another super bowl or 2, he will have a pretty good argument of being one of the top 5 quarterbacks of all time. 

The one knock I think Rodgers has, and this might be talking from a place of ignorance as I don't watch every Packers game, is that he doesn't perform super well during clutch situations. He's played long enough where you think he would amass more than dozen game winning drives in his career. 

Rodgers is basically Steve Young. I've said that for a long time. 

I don't believe in #QBwinz so Rogers is very far up the on proverbial ladder in terms of being considered among on of the greatest QBs to ever play.

I'd rank him above Montana, on the same level as Manning (even though they are completely different QBs) and just under Marino (whom he compares very favorably with game-wise)

Archived