Training Camp is set for July 27th-July 31st

turtle28

16 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Idky but for some reason I just have this feeling that our rags off the street nobody QB from last year is going to make himself a brand this season. He just has something about him. I really think at some point this guys going to get his shot and he may make it really difficult for this staff to keep him off the field. This team and it’s nobody backup out of nowhere cast off QB’s. The fact Terry endorsed him after the playoff game and he clearly took this offseason like a vet trying to improve and build himself up man as much as I want that long term answer I think this guys going to put us in a place where he could take this job and not give it up. Please stay healthy Taylor. I’m really coming around because there’s just something different about this cat!!!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Idky but for some reason I just have this feeling that our rags off the street nobody QB from last year is going to make himself a brand this season. He just has something about him. I really think at some point this guys going to get his shot and he may make it really difficult for this staff to keep him off the field. This team and it’s nobody backup out of nowhere cast off QB’s. The fact Terry endorsed him after the playoff game and he clearly took this offseason like a vet trying to improve and build himself up man as much as I want that long term answer I think this guys going to put us in a place where he could take this job and not give it up. Please stay healthy Taylor. I’m really coming around because there’s just something different about this cat!!!

I agree. He just seems to have something to him. The players love him, he has moxy. Chase seemed to adore him & really root for him. I think all the players were extremely impressed by him & his competitiveness in last years playoff game. I think it was obvious to them the difference between Haskins & Heinicke immediately and they gravitated towards him.

I don’t know if he’ll start the season but I expect at some point during the season Taylor will get his shot. I’m hoping when Taylor gets his shot that he’s more Tony Romo rather than Colt McCoy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Everything Pete Hoener Looks For In Backup Tight Ends

Video clips in the article 

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/washington-football-backup-tight-ends

Yelder and Seals-Jones are two of the more experienced options in that area. Blocking isn't as natural to Seals-Jones, considering he started as a receiver, but he did get praise from former Cardinals head coach Steve Wilks for his improvement in the area in 2018. Yelder was called the Chiefs' best blocking tight end outside of Travis Kelce by USA Today's Charles Goldman, and he was given a 75.8 pass blocking grade by Pro Football Focus.

Bates, while a rookie, might already be one of Washington's better run blockers. His former Boise State coaches and players rave about his physicality, and former Washington tight end Logan Paulsen said his footwork and hands are "things that a lot of college tight ends don't have." He looked good in minicamp, but Hoener wants to hold off on evaluating the rookie further until training camp begins.

"If I'm a coach," Paulsen said, "That's a guy that I think, 'Man, maybe we can get [Seals-Jones and Thomas] on the field at the same time.'"

As for the third or fourth tight ends, depending on how many Washington keeps, those roles are filled by role players who can work out of the backfield or fill other needs. All of Washington's tight ends, including Reyes, could fit that requirement as long as their development continues and perform well in training camp.

"Some of them are better blockers than maybe the first two, so they go in there in a four-minute situation or goal line or short yardage and do the blocking for you," Hoener said.“

On 6/15/2021 at 6:04 AM, ripsean21 said:

👍 Nice post. He so easy to root for! 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 1:37 PM, turtle28 said:

“Just a bit outside!” In my Bob Uecker voice from Major League! 😂 

I remember tearing him apart his rookie season when he couldn't hit the quick outs at the goal line. Like it was physically impossible for him to throw that route. And I also remember his defenders coming on to take issue with me pointing this obvious fact out.

19 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I remember tearing him apart his rookie season when he couldn't hit the quick outs at the goal line. Like it was physically impossible for him to throw that route. And I also remember his defenders coming on to take issue with me pointing this obvious fact out.

You were right Thai, another Washington first round QB that ended up not being the guy when we all had hoped he would be!

Also, Not sure if any throw is physically impossible for Dwayne to Make, now having the right footwork, pushing through the throw and having the correct form to Throw it accurately and with a lot of zip on it, that rarely  happened w/ Haskinsand I along with others expected Dwayne to improve in those areas but he clearly didn’t in DC and that’s his fault, no one else’s. I don’t believe he will in Pittsburgh either, but that remains to be seen.

Edited by turtle28

14 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Not to beat a dead horse but how many times did Gruden call "the fade " with Cousins/ Garcon . Did thye ever complete ONE !?

Too many time’s bc Garcon wasn’t a good WR too throw fades too bc he wasn’t good at high pointing the ball. I do remember them completing some, I have no clue when that was 5 years ago - I think at the Eagles in 2015 in Dec on that playoff run.

Really odd bringing up this up since then we really don’t have too many WRs & QBs completing them either since Doctson & Kirk competed some in 2017. Like Alex Smith, Colt, Sanchez, Josh Johnson, Haskins, Allen & Heinicke didn’t really complete many - if any - fades from 2018 - 2020 either.

One time I remember Gruden blaming Kirk for checking to the fade at the line of scrimmage vs the Cowboys in 2016 and throwing a 2nd fade to Doctson on 2nd or 3rd and goal and Doctson dove for it but didn’t catch it.

Edited by turtle28

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Too many time’s bc Garcon wasn’t a good WR too throw fades too bc he wasn’t hood at high pointing the ball. I do remember them completing some, I have no clue when that was 5 years ago - I think at the Eagles in 2015 in Dec on that playoff run.

Really odd bringing up this up since then we really don’t have too many WRs & QBs completing them either since Doctson & Kirk competed some in 2017. Like Alex Smith, Colt, Sanchez, Josh Johnson, Haskins, Allen & Heinicke didn’t really complete many - if any - fades from 2018 - 2020 either.

One time I remember Gruden blaming Kirk for checking to the fade at the line of scrimmage vs the Cowboys in 2016 and throwing a 2nd fade to Doctson on 2nd or 3rd and goal and Doctson dove for it but didn’t catch it.

When RG got hurt in Baltimore I was in the corner of the end zone when Kirk threw the fade before we went for 2 and got it. But that was the Shanahans not Jay

51 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

When RG got hurt in Baltimore I was in the corner of the end zone when Kirk threw the fade before we went for 2 and got it. But that was the Shanahans not Jay

Good pull man. Kirk definitely completed some of them & he could throw the fade, the issue is as I said in 2015 & 16 the only receiver we had who was good at caught high fades was our TE, Reed and Reed actually probably caught some that I don’t even remember. 

I do remember Doctson catching a few fades in 2017 from Kirk when Doctson had 6 TDs, I also remember Doctson dropping the fade for what probably would’ve been the game winning TD vs the Chiefs in 2017 when Jay wanted Kirk to throw the fade to Reed on the other side for what probably would’ve been the game winner.