Video Game Adaptations

Deadpulse

3 hours ago, minutemancl said:

The recent Mortal Kombat movie that came to streaming was ok. Joe Taslim's Sub Zero was great, as was Hiroyuki Sanada's Scorpion.

3 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah didn’t mind it, would watch a sequel

The epic downfall of that movie was the original main protagonist...both character and actor.

So many great MK character and they felt the need to make the lead a lame original character no one cares about and didnt even develop him well.    Some of the other story elements were lame too....like the story about how they each got powers.

It was about on par with MK 95....very meh movies that left alot to be desired.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 43M said:

The epic downfall of that movie was the original main protagonist...both character and actor.

So many great MK character and they felt the need to make the lead a lame original character no one cares about and didnt even develop him well.    Some of the other story elements were lame too....like the story about how they each got powers.

It was about on par with MK 95....very meh movies that left alot to be desired.

Sometime meh is ok, have a bias / soft spot for the original.

But yeah he fell flat.

16 hours ago, 43M said:

Mortal Kombat has a far more interesting premise and better characters, and that has yet to be done well.  

Street Fighter doesn't interest me at all.    I loved the games growing up, but it doesn't really lend itself to a serious movie or show well.

Best they could do with it IMO is make it a tongue in cheek animated show that leans towards comedic but with some good action here and there.

Any attempt at trying to make it serious will fail miserably IMO.

Yep, and according to IGN and other outlets, it's gonna be live-action and I'm still not 100% sold on being able to pull off a lot of the series' fantastical elements in live-action.

They already attempted Chun-Li's Spinning Bird Kick live-action in Street Fighter: the Legend of Chun-Li, and it looked so bad, it made the fight choreography in the '94 Van Damme movie look like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

I shudder to think how badly they would've f'ed up M. Bison's Psycho Crusher in live-action in that movie, which would be impossible to do with unassisted stuntwork.

Edited by KManX89
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Yep, and according to IGN and other outlets, it's gonna be live-action and I'm still not 100% sold on being able to pull off a lot of the series' fantastical elements in live-action.

They already attempted Chun-Li's Spinning Bird Kick live-action in Street Fighter: the Legend of Chun-Li, and it looked so bad, it made the fight choreography in the '94 Van Damme movie look like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

I shudder to think how badly they would've f'ed up M. Bison's Psycho Crusher in live-action in that movie, which would be impossible to do with unassisted stuntwork.

Ehh....let them do it.   I love watching these studios crash and burn when they hire people to make it that literally have no understanding of the material their using but still think they know more than fans.   You need hardcore fans of the material....like we see with Cobra Kai or even the new Mario movie.

That being said, even if you got a massive Street Fighter fan that had every right idea, I just dont think it lends itself well to live action.    Anime style would probably be the best way to go IMO.

40 minutes ago, 43M said:

Ehh....let them do it.   I love watching these studios crash and burn when they hire people to make it that literally have no understanding of the material their using but still think they know more than fans.   You need hardcore fans of the material....like we see with Cobra Kai or even the new Mario movie.

That being said, even if you got a massive Street Fighter fan that had every right idea, I just dont think it lends itself well to live action.    Anime style would probably be the best way to go IMO.

The funny thing is, Capcom actually had creative control over every decision with the '94 movie. That movie that took so many liberties with the source material, it doesn't even have a fighting tournament, turned Ryu and Ken into con artists, made Balrog Chun-Li's sidekick instead of one of Bison's henchmen, and so much more, that was the movie they wanted to have made. They were even the ones that demanded JCVD's casting as Guile, not the director, casting director, execs or anybody actively involved in the production. They also demanded a 6 month shooting schedule and had a first-time director helm the picture because no experienced director would take on that grueling shoot schedule, had filming delays with Raul Julia's health, and so on. 

This is to say nothing of those haunting images of Raul Julia (R.I.P.) Superman-flying into JCVD still running through my head. Back then, they couldn't even attempt to animate his Psycho Crusher in live-action (and you'd have to CGI that shyt), and so that's what they had him do. Literally🤦

But yeah, it seemed like it was destined to fail from the get-go. It's too bad Julia couldn't have chosen a better movie to go out on before he tragically passed. I know he did it for his kids, who were huge fans of the games, but he deserved much better for his final film. I don't even know if it would've been primed to succeed with a lighter shoot schedule, people who wanted a game-accurate film calling the shots and a bonafide director filming it.

Edited by KManX89
  • Like 1