Video Game Adaptations

Deadpulse

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

why not?

Because the last thing we need right now is another huge IP to become appointment viewing for the same kind of people who compare everything in the real world to either Game of Thrones or Harry Potter. And given the values that Mass Effect espouses, those are exactly the kind of people such a show would attract. 

1 hour ago, Starless said:

Because the last thing we need right now is another huge IP to become appointment viewing for the same kind of people who compare everything in the real world to either Game of Thrones or Harry Potter. And given the values that Mass Effect espouses, those are exactly the kind of people such a show would attract. 

This seems unnecessarily hurtful 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

This seems unnecessarily hurtful 

Well on top of that, there are so many great sci-fi book series that could actually be filmable for the first time with current technology. There's no reason whatsoever to re-do Mass Effect as another visual medium. Why not do The Hyperion Cantos, or Rama, or Embassytown, or The Left Hand of Darkness, for example?

Edited by Starless

The only video game I want to see adapted into another visual medium would be something like Undertale. The world in which it exists is much bigger than what was fit into the game, and there's so much room to creatively interpret the world and introduce new characters into it. It could make a great Cartoon Network show.

2 minutes ago, Starless said:

The only video game I want to see adapted into another visual medium would be something like Undertale. The world in which it exists is much bigger than what was fit into the game, and there's so much room to creatively interpret the world and introduce new characters into it. It could make a great Cartoon Network show.

What about a Soulsborne show? Though I'm not sure where a show could even start. 

5 minutes ago, Starless said:

Well on top of that, there are so many great sci-fi book series that could actually be filmable with current technology. There's no reason whatsoever to re-do Mass Effect as another visual medium. 

Money To Blow GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1

1 minute ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

What about a Soulsborne show? Though I'm not sure where a show could even start. 

Nope. So much of the immersion of those games is predicated on just how much the player doesn't know. Doing a tv show would absolutely taint that. 

Wish we'd get:

Bioshock - a limited series could be amazing

Legend of Zelda - a trilogy movie or a limited series

Metal Gear Solid - preferably movie(s) but a limited series could work. Sons of Liberty is still one of my favorite games of all time.

We're getting:

Division - I think it'll either be fantastic or a complete dud. But I like the casting so far.

The Last of US - I really like the potential from what I've heard so far. Biggest worry is that I don't see Bella Ramsey as Ellie. But she has talent so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Sonic 2 - I was pleasantly surprised by the first. But I don't really care to see the 2nd. Maybe if it's free on streaming a random night.

Resident Evil - Was once one of my favorite game series. They screwed the movies up so bad though, so I have very little faith.

The Fallout games actually could make for an interesting adaptation because the retro-futurist setting is unlike anything currently on tv, and there's a whole huge world, most of which we'll never see in a game. They'll hopefully do it as an anthology series with a different cast each season. 

The other game universes I think would actually make for interesting non-interactive media would be ones from Pathologic and Disco Elysium, but those games are far too niche to ever get considered for adaptation. 

Edited by Starless

6 hours ago, 43M said:
7 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Legend of Zelda - a trilogy movie or a limited series

No Way Do Not Want GIF

Gotta agree here. Link is a voiceless protagonist and it needs to stay that way. Any adaptation is likely to bastardize the magic of these games. There is also so much conflicting lore and the timelines are all over the place I'd be vastly concerned about mucking that up or picking and choosing things from different games. 

• Like 1