Video Game Adaptations

Deadpulse

4 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Gotta agree here. Link is a voiceless protagonist and it needs to stay that way. Any adaptation is likely to bastardize the magic of these games. There is also so much conflicting lore and the timelines are all over the place I'd be vastly concerned about mucking that up or picking and choosing things from different games. 

I think I remember Netflix and Nintendo were working on an adaptation and then it sort of vanished? Reading between the lines it just sounded like it wasn't working.

6 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Gotta agree here. Link is a voiceless protagonist and it needs to stay that way. Any adaptation is likely to bastardize the magic of these games. There is also so much conflicting lore and the timelines are all over the place I'd be vastly concerned about mucking that up or picking and choosing things from different games. 

You could say that about a lot of games, comics, or books.

Oh well, I'll always have The Legend of Neil

11 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

You could say that about a lot of games, comics, or books.

Yeah...alot of those dont translate to live action well.

Could Zelda be done well in live action?   I suppose....but its highly unlikely it would be.    I think we would get an extremely bastardized version of what Zelda is supposed to be...kinda like what they did with Dragon Ball Z.

Zelda wouldn't be easy to make into live action even with all the right pieces....and I dont know that Hollywood even has those pieces.

I've said it before, but Max Payne is one game that should've easily been converted into a film. Film-noir setting, comic book panel cutscenes, bullet time and zingy one-liners with an awesome revenge/crime story, how could you eff that up? Then of course the 2008 movie happened and it did exactly that. It didn't help that it was helmed by a hack director and written by a first time writer that hasn't written anything before or since.

Mass Effect is tailor-made for live-action, though preferably as a TV series with its lore.

Oh and did you know that at one point, Uwe Boll had gotten the rights to a Fear Effect movie? Thank God it didn't happen.

Oh and screwing up Metal Gear Solid is unforgivable. Luckily JVR is deadset on getting this right.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2021 at 7:24 AM, Deadpulse said:

well excuuuuuse me, princess 

• 1 year later...

Legendary just acquired the film and TV rights to Street Fighter. 

So... better than the '94 JCVD film? I know that's not setting the bar very high (ditto for the new Mario Bros. movie as opposed to the '93 live-action film), but I'm just curious what this board thinks of this.

4 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Legendary just acquired the film and TV rights to Street Fighter. 

So... better than the '94 JCVD film? I know that's not setting the bar very high (ditto for the new Mario Bros. movie as opposed to the '93 live-action film), but I'm just curious what this board thinks of this.

Mortal Kombat has a far more interesting premise and better characters, and that has yet to be done well.  

Street Fighter doesn't interest me at all.    I loved the games growing up, but it doesn't really lend itself to a serious movie or show well.

Best they could do with it IMO is make it a tongue in cheek animated show that leans towards comedic but with some good action here and there.

Any attempt at trying to make it serious will fail miserably IMO.

9 hours ago, 43M said:

Mortal Kombat has a far more interesting premise and better characters, and that has yet to be done well.  

The 95 Mortal Kombat movie was just fine. There's not much that can be done with the premise and they did it about as well as they possibly could IMO. 

17 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

The 95 Mortal Kombat movie was just fine. There's not much that can be done with the premise and they did it about as well as they possibly could IMO. 

The last few MK videogames have told MUCH better stories with the premise than any of the movies have....so that part isnt really true.

As far as the 95 movie....it was rated PG13.  Nuff said.