Ryan Kerrigan Not WFT Sack Leader?

MKnight82

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sack-data-makes-dexter-manley-162938323.html 

That happened during the 2020 season when Kerrigan recorded his 92nd sack with the Burgundy and Gold, pushing him one ahead of Dexter Manley who had held the record for nearly three decades. A few more takedowns last season gave Kerrigan 95.5 for his career. 

However, new data introduced by Pro-Football-Reference.com that brings in sack totals prior to the 1982 season -- when the NFL started recording the stat -- could change all of that and put Manley back ahead.

Expansive research by John Turney and Nick Webster, who work for the Pro Football Researchers Association, has uncovered numerous sacks that up until now had been not been recognized. That includes the 1981 season in which Manley recorded six sacks as a rookie for Washington.

By adding that total to Manley's career mark with Washington, it puts him unofficially at 97.0 sacks. That is 1.5 more than Kerrigan compiled during his 10 seasons in Washington. Therefore, Manley could be viewed as the all-time sack leader for the franchise once again.
  • Like 1

Awesome & deserved.

My brother got me a signed hat with Manley's sig. (Although it wasn't legible because Manley was illiterate)

But Manley is one of my top favorite Skins all-time.

I knew he had 6 sacks in his rookie yr, but it was just before they counted.

I'm glad Manley goes back to the top, as it should count.

Now, let's see if Chase, or Sweat can beat it. 😎

• Like 1

Just now, aceinthehouse said:

Awesome & deserved.

My brother got me a signed hat with Manley's sig. (Although it wasn't legible because Manley was illiterate)

But Manley is one of my top favorite Skins all-time.

I knew he had 6 sacks in his rookie yr, but it was just before they counted.

I'm glad Manley goes back to the top, as it should count.

Now, let's see if Chase, or Sweat can beat it. 😎

I agree, nothing against Kerrigan but Manley was a fierce pass rusher. He was a game changing, dynamic player. I'll never forget him saying "He was going to clean Danny White's clock " and then proceded to knock him out cold .

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

He'll only be here 7 years. 5th year option, Franchise tag, 2nd tag = 7 years.

Would be tricky, but counting the 7.5 he had as a rookie, that would require 90 sacks in 6 years. 

Reggie White, Deacon Jones, Mark Gastineau, and Demarcus Ware all had 90+ sacks from Year 2 to Year 7, so all he’d have to do is become one of the most consistently dominant pass-rushers of all time and he’d be set. 

• Like 2

One one hand this is great for Manley. I grew up with this guy terrorizing QBs. 

OTOH, this sucks for Ryan. I was rooting for him to break the record. 

I wonder if there still might be a 1a and 1b here since Manley's rookie season they weren't an official NFL stat?

• Like 2

On 7/14/2021 at 3:18 PM, RSkinGM said:

I agree, nothing against Kerrigan but Manley was a fierce pass rusher. He was a game changing, dynamic player. I'll never forget him saying "He was going to clean Danny White's clock " and then proceded to knock him out cold .

Agreed and I’m good with it either way. Both guys were great players for us, I don’t really care which one is our franchise sack leader, they’re both great and deserving.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2021 at 4:25 PM, RSkinGM said:

He'll only be here 7 years. 5th year option, Franchise tag, 2nd tag = 7 years.

No chance Chase Young isn’t a career Washington player. If there’s one guy on our team that needs to be kept it’s him. He arguably changed the team culture even more so than Rivera last year beyond that, Chase is obviously our most talented player.

Edited by turtle28