Looking To Build A PC.....Need Help

2 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

Well, 4 years is the sweet spot right for upgrading your graphics card, but mostly because it's a great time for always having the best GPU performance/price ratio. It has nothing to do with the graphics card breaking after 4 years or anything like that. It's in no way an obligation if you're okay with not being at the tippity top for graphics (again, not really different than buying a console and sticking with it for a whole generation). I'd expect the graphics card to last an easy 6+ years without breaking, ~10 is likely.

That price you mentioned isn't really accurate, though. The actual card sells for $499, it's just that the pandemic has ruined the supply/demand and they're all sold out meaning inflated prices. If you wanted to upgrade in 4 years, you definitely wouldn't be paying more than the $499 MSRP for whatever the newest graphics card is.

Yeah I also head 'overclocking' makes your card die faster too. I dont really know how to do that or what it is so I dont think I will have that problem. I also dont play games 8hrs per day. I probably play 5-10 hours per week and have the computer on for normal work use for 40ish hours--so hopefully the card lasts longer too.

10 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah I also head 'overclocking' makes your card die faster too. I dont really know how to do that or what it is so I dont think I will have that problem. I also dont play games 8hrs per day. I probably play 5-10 hours per week and have the computer on for normal work use for 40ish hours--so hopefully the card lasts longer too.

Ahhh, yeah you're definitely good then. Even with normal use, the card will be completely fine more or less indefinitely. Like, you could really do whatever normal task (or even work/gaming) on it for as long as you want and it should be fine (assuming it's a well made PC by the manufacturer of course, which it looks to be). The people that have them break after a few years are typically doing like crypto mining or as you mentioned overclocking, which is literally just making the graphics card run faster than it's designed to resulting in them getting insanely hot for long periods of time (hotter than they're really designed to). Your use cases sound completely normal though, so you should be good.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

Ahhh, yeah you're definitely good then. Even with normal use, the card will be completely fine more or less indefinitely. Like, you could really do whatever normal task (or even work/gaming) on it for as long as you want and it should be fine (assuming it's a well made PC by the manufacturer of course, which it looks to be). The people that have them break after a few years are typically doing like crypto mining or as you mentioned overclocking, which is literally just making the graphics card run faster than it's designed to resulting in them getting insanely hot for long periods of time (hotter than they're really designed to). Your use cases sound completely normal though, so you should be good.

Yeah i dont need any of that lol I casually game for a few hours here and there in my freetime and use my computer for my job. As long as it can handle MS Office, Adobe Suite, Dropbox and the occasional 2-3hr PGA Tour 2k21 session I will be fineĀ šŸ˜‚

Edited by AkronsWitness

Well... @elevators_ruleĀ and @rob_shadowsĀ good news (if you guys care lol)..

I just got the call that the Asus desktop you sent was approved!

One more question though--I read some reviews on it from Google (link below) and nearly e v e r y one of them people mention basically that its a really good computer because of its parts, but Asus skimped out on the ventilation and cooling system. They pretty much all said they marketed this thing because of the 3070 GPU and didnt really care about the cooling because of it.Ā Basically its every review saying how this thing runs HOT, loud and frequently shuts down from overheating since there is only 1 fan and its a tiny fan.

Im not sure if you care about reading any of the reviews, but the general consensus is that you need to either 1) Get 3 more 120mm fans to install in the case. Apparently since its a prebuilt the case is really small so its more difficult to add/remove things or 2) Buy a new case thats bigger and has fans with it. A lot of people mentioned changing the fan speed in the settings somewhere from 'normal' to 'quiet' and that apparently helps cool things down too.

Can either of you decipher what these people in the reviews are talking about and point me in the right direction of what I need to get to have this thing run with better cooling so my room doesnt turn into a sauna with a jet engine in it hahah

https://www.google.com/search?q=ASUS+-+ROG+Gaming+Desktop+-+Intel+Core+i7-11700F&oq=ASUS+-+ROG+Gaming+Desktop+-+Intel+Core+i7-11700F&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think he's referring to every 4-5 years you need to keep up with the hardware and constantly upgrade things like graphics cards when they become 'old tech'

I personally have no idea how long a good graphic card lasts until it becomes ancient by tech world standards.

Ā 

I mean you can go years. Some people have ones they haven't changed out for over a decade.Ā 

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Well... @elevators_ruleĀ and @rob_shadowsĀ good news (if you guys care lol)..

I just got the call that the Asus desktop you sent was approved!

One more question though--I read some reviews on it from Google (link below) and nearly e v e r y one of them people mention basically that its a really good computer because of its parts, but Asus skimped out on the ventilation and cooling system. They pretty much all said they marketed this thing because of the 3070 GPU and didnt really care about the cooling because of it.Ā Basically its every review saying how this thing runs HOT, loud and frequently shuts down from overheating since there is only 1 fan and its a tiny fan.

Im not sure if you care about reading any of the reviews, but the general consensus is that you need to either 1) Get 3 more 120mm fans to install in the case. Apparently since its a prebuilt the case is really small so its more difficult to add/remove things or 2) Buy a new case thats bigger and has fans with it. A lot of people mentioned changing the fan speed in the settings somewhere from 'normal' to 'quiet' and that apparently helps cool things down too.

Can either of you decipher what these people in the reviews are talking about and point me in the right direction of what I need to get to have this thing run with better cooling so my room doesnt turn into a sauna with a jet engine in it hahah

https://www.google.com/search?q=ASUS+-+ROG+Gaming+Desktop+-+Intel+Core+i7-11700F&oq=ASUS+-+ROG+Gaming+Desktop+-+Intel+Core+i7-11700F&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Adding a couple more fans isn't terribly complicated if it's necessary, it's just one wire and 4 screws per fan, tricky part when adding fans to a PC that already has everything in it can be the lack of space to work in but I'd personally say it's worth the hassle to get a quality PC.

If you're not comfortable with potentially having to do so you can just find a different PC with better cooling and airflow, now that you know you're approved for that price range you're options should be pretty plentiful... There's a decent amount of options around that price it's just the initial under $1,400 price that would have been a bit limiting for a good gaming PC.

23 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Adding a couple more fans isn't terribly complicated if it's necessary, it's just one wire and 4 screws per fan, tricky part when adding fans to a PC that already has everything in it can be the lack of space to work in but I'd personally say it's worth the hassle to get a quality PC.

If you're not comfortable with potentially having to do so you can just find a different PC with better cooling and airflow, now that you know you're approved for that price range you're options should be pretty plentiful... There's a decent amount of options around that price it's just the initial under $1,400 price that would have been a bit limiting for a good gaming PC.

Right on thank you, the problem is that its already on the way and shipped lol So Im going to have to do some cooling modification to it. If its as bad as literally everyone says it is, I might just drop $150 on a new good case myself (since I basically just got a $1800 PC for free) and have our IT guy swap all of the parts over.

The problem is I know nothing about what to look for in a case and if they are universal or not lol I have my eye on this one which seems to get good reviews

https://www.microcenter.com/product/609619/nzxt-h510-elite-dual-tempered-glass-rgb-atx-mid-tower-computer-case-white

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Right on thank you, the problem is that its already on the way and shipped lol So Im going to have to do some cooling modification to it. If its as bad as literally everyone says it is, I might just drop $150 on a new good case myself (since I basically just got a $1800 PC for free) and have our IT guy swap all of the parts over.

The problem is I know nothing about what to look for in a case and if they are universal or not lol I have my eye on this one which seems to get good reviews

https://www.microcenter.com/product/609619/nzxt-h510-elite-dual-tempered-glass-rgb-atx-mid-tower-computer-case-white

Yee, sadly it's pretty common for companies like that to skimp on cases/fans (and sometimes power supplies) as those are things that don't really spec on paper too well, so it's easy to cheap out without consumers knowing.

As far as cases, anything highly rated is probably fine, but mesh cases are where it's at if you want better ventilation (https://amazon.com/s?k=mesh+case&ref=nb_sb_noss_2)Ā Ā  The top three here are some of the best on the market (Cooler Master, Phanteks, and the first Lian Li Mesh case).

Honestly, though, it sounds like from reading the reviews the bigger issue isn't the case (which will definitely help though), but the CPU cooler. You could buy a new one for $60-100 and I bet the overheating problems more or less disappear. https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D15-heatpipe-NF-A15-140mm/dp/B00L7UZMAK/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=cpu+cooler&qid=1628720770&sr=8-5

That's one of the best on the market right now. They're fairly straightforward to install, but you would have to apply thermal paste as well which could be intimidating to people who don't work with computers ever. Still, I think I'd recommend doing that over upgrading the case personally. Could do it yourself after watching a youtube video, or could probably just go to a random computer store and pay maybe like $30 for them to do it for you.

42 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

Yee, sadly it's pretty common for companies like that to skimp on cases/fans (and sometimes power supplies) as those are things that don't really spec on paper too well, so it's easy to cheap out without consumers knowing.

As far as cases, anything highly rated is probably fine, but mesh cases are where it's at if you want better ventilation (https://amazon.com/s?k=mesh+case&ref=nb_sb_noss_2)Ā Ā  The top three here are some of the best on the market (Cooler Master, Phanteks, and the first Lian Li Mesh case).

Honestly, though, it sounds like from reading the reviews the bigger issue isn't the case (which will definitely help though), but the CPU cooler. You could buy a new one for $60-100 and I bet the overheating problems more or less disappear. https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D15-heatpipe-NF-A15-140mm/dp/B00L7UZMAK/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=cpu+cooler&qid=1628720770&sr=8-5

That's one of the best on the market right now. They're fairly straightforward to install, but you would have to apply thermal paste as well which could be intimidating to people who don't work with computers ever. Still, I think I'd recommend doing that over upgrading the case personally. Could do it yourself after watching a youtube video, or could probably just go to a random computer store and pay maybe like $30 for them to do it for you.

Would that help it run quieter and less hot? I have this picture in my head that it's going to sound like my old PS4 fan and get extremely hot lol

5 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

The H510 is a very popular and widely used case for gaming PCs.Ā 

2 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

The H510 is a very popular and widely used case for gaming PCs.Ā 

I think that's what I'm going to do because I think it comes with like 3-4 fans. If the problems still happen I'll get that CPU cooler elevators_rule mentioned.

I just want it to be smooth and quiet lol

15 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Would that help it run quieter and less hot? I have this picture in my head that it's going to sound like my old PS4 fan and get extremely hot lol

High quality coolers definitely help run both quieter and cooler than cheap coolers.Ā 

The Noctua NH D15 and the be quiet! Dark rock pro 4 are probably the two best air coolers on the market. Both offer excellent cooling and run pretty quiet, I prefer the dark rock pro 4 just because the Noctua is ugly .. Although I think it does now come in black which makes it much better looking.

You could also choose an AIO if you prefer the sleek look. Lots of good options, the most popular are the Corsair H series (I personally gave an H150i elite capellix in my PC) and the NZXT kraken series.

Whatever you choose you need to make sure that case can fit it, either needs clearance for the heatsink if an air cooler or needs space for the radiator if an AIO.

I don't know the dimensions on that Asus case so you'd have to try to look it up, the H510 however I know can fit pretty much anything if you were to get that.

I can also personally vouch for the be quiet pure base 500DX as a very good case with good airflow, quiet operation and IMO better looks than the H510 (but that's obviously subjective) and it can definitely fit any cooler you may want to throw in there, I have a 360mm Corsair AIO in mine and with it and the two case fans it comes with the PC runs cool and quiet. It's also cheaper than the H510.

be quiet! Pure Base 500DX Black, Mid Tower ATX case, ARGB, 3 pre-installed Pure Wings 2, BGW37, tempered glass window https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087D7DBW6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_XWB07S6KE8SHR62FMCKC

Edited by rob_shadows
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

High quality coolers definitely help run both quieter and cooler than cheap coolers.Ā 

The Noctua NH D15 and the be quiet! Dark rock pro 4 are probably the two best air coolers on the market. Both offer excellent cooling and run pretty quiet, I prefer the dark rock pro 4 just because the Noctua is ugly .. Although I think it does now come in black which makes it much better looking.

You could also choose an AIO if you prefer the sleek look. Lots of good options, the most popular are the Corsair H series (I personally gave an H150i elite capellix in my PC) and the NZXT kraken series.

Whatever you choose you need to make sure that case can fit it, either needs clearance for the heatsink if an air cooler or needs space for the radiator if an AIO.

I don't know the dimensions on that Asus case so you'd have to try to look it up, the H510 however I know can fit pretty much anything if you were to get that.

Right on thank you, I think I'm going to go with that H510 Elite case for $150 and call it a day.

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Right on thank you, I think I'm going to go with that H510 Elite case for $150 and call it a day.

There are a lot of solid cases out there, often times it becomes a matter of gamers choosing which one they like the most aesthetically once you get into the quality cases as they are all fineĀ