General Defense

onejayhawk

2 hours ago, BigTrav said:

What has been the catalyst for change? I refuse to believe it's just CJ going back to his prefered position. 

Tackling is something you work on, practice, improve on. This is one factor 

I lean more to what the coaching staff is saying, ie that we are only now getting healthy. We had significant injuies in all three levels of the defense early in the season. Now, those players are mostly healthy, the young players got significant game play, and we added Ingram who has done well. 

Saw a glimpse of how teams will attack us in the future. run it or throw short on 3rd and long. 

On early downs with Gay and Bolton out there we did pretty well at stopping the run and some short passes . But once we got put into dime with Hitch-Sorensen-Neimann, just give it to Williams. Defense got put into some long drives after that.

Not every team has a Williams, but the Patriots will dice up that personnel grouping in the playoffs.

This is an article on Melvin Ingram. One thing he ahs done well, which I did not expect, is set the edge on running plays. He's better at it than Chris Jones.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/melvin_ingram_proving_to_be_a_steal_for_kc/s1_16880_36666725

This is film stuudy ofocusing on 3rd down.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/12/8/22823573/kansas-city-chiefs-defense-third-down-nfl-best-chris-jones-tyrann-mathieu

Edited by onejayhawk

21 hours ago, Chiefer said:

There were two numbers that showed on both of those plays, 24 and 54, Ingram and Bolton. 

Spags had a few words about Ingram. He's a bit enthused, which is nice when coupled with a young player like Bolton.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/12/10/kansas-city-chiefs-steve-spagnuolo-melvin-ingram-foundational-defensive-piece/

What’s great about Melvin (Ingram) is watching him, not just on the field, but in the meeting rooms, around the building, around the guys when he’s not out there on a particular rep. It was evident to me that this man loves football. He’s always here. He’s always around. He’s not just with defensive guys. I love the fact that he’s relational. I think that goes a long way when you come in new in the middle of the season that you’re like that instead of off on your own, but I think he’s been a great addition that way, in addition to what he’s been doing on the field.

Edited by onejayhawk

We have been critical of the Chiefs not investing more in the CB position. The highest we drafted any player in our secondary is 2nd round, Juan Thornhill. Yet, the CB is a cohesive, effective and deep group.

The main group is Ward (UDFA) and Sneed (4th), followed by Fenton (6th). yet, with Sneed on personal leave due to a death in the family, Mike Hughes (cost to us 6th) had a monster game. It reminds me of the way Green Bay keeps cranking out excellent OL from FA and day #3 picks.

More on Hughes.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/mike_hughes_next_man_up_mentality_fueled_success_vs_raiders/s1_16631_36702794

Without Chris Jones and L'Jarius Sneed, the defense took some lumps. Still, we could see the growth from early in the year.

Even though it seemed that Herbert was having a huge game, it was 22/38 and only 236 yards plus the two TD came with a pick. They really killed us on the ground with 192 rushing yards. That's the trade off they decided to make. 

Bolton led all tacklers with 14, plus 3 PD and a QB hit. Bolton, Niemann and Hitchens combined for 31 tackles, 4 PD, 2 QB hits, a fumble recovery, and an interception. With multiple short yardage stops, I have to say that the LB had a good game against the Chargers. In a bad run game, Charvarius Ward was influential with 10 tackles.

10 days until Pittsburgh comes to town.

J

4 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

He was all over the field, he knew hed be targeted and he made plays in coverage. I dont think his snap count will be going down for the foreseeable future. He looks like the perfect Spagz LB, aggresive, fast, smart, great tackler. Between him and WG itll be fun to watch.

So odd on a day the Run D looked terrible, and yet Bolton still looked very good. Its a team game

Edited by Chiefer