NBA Off-Season Thread: USA Wins Gold!!!

the lone star

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah, I personally don't buy that it has anything to do with LeBron but that has been the narrative. 

Unless there's some smoking gun, we all know how this will end up turning out.  They'll settle and Noel will end up getting a few million for it.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Again, I'll go back to the point I made.  Both the Sixers and Clippers had entrenched starting centers.  Why would Nerlens Noel who was viewed as the #1 overall prospect going into his first (and only) season in college and turned down a 4 year, $70M with the Mavs even consider those offers?  Sure.  They might have been willing to offer more money then what the Thunder offered.  It's like Dennis Schroder signing the taxpayer MLE for multiple years this offseason.

Yeah I really don't agree with the narrative that LeBron was pulling the strings to keep him away from contenders. Noel just made a mistake and it backfired. 

But in recent NBA history the only NBA players that have turned down big extensions and it back fired are: 

Nerlens Noel: Turned down 4 yr/$70M | Signed for 1 yr/$4.1M

DeMarcus Cousins: Turned down 2 yr/$40M | Signed for 1 yr/$5.3M

Victor Oladipo: Turned down 4 yr/$112M | Signed for 1 yr/$2.3M

Dennis Schroder: Turned down 4 yr/$84M | Signed for 1 yr/$5.9M

For Noel, Cousins, and Oladipo their mistake was largely due to them getting hurt after turning down the extension. Schroder is really the only one that turned down an extension, stayed healthy, and then couldn't get paid. 

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Unless there's some smoking gun, we all know how this will end up turning out.  They'll settle and Noel will end up getting a few million for it.

Noel believing he was a $100M player after averaging 9 points, 6 boards, and 1 block the year he turned down the extension was just foolish on his part. 

22 hours ago, RandomCampBody said:

This Nerlens Noel Rich Paul stuff doesn't pass the smell test for me especially if Leon Rose is involved.

Nothing about Noel screamed max extension, the only reason he even got that 4 for 70m offer was because that was the year the cap increased massively and everyone was getting dumb contracts.

Agreed. For guys like Boogie and Oladipo who had been All-Stars and made a ton of money already I can understand why they'd bet on themselves. But Noel had never shown elite potential at any point in his career up to that point. 

43 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Warriors fans really saying they wouldn’t do Wiseman + Kuminga for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and that they would only do it for a top 10 player in the league if not top 7.

I hate the offseason.

I’d take wiseman for Giddey

55 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I mean that's probably what it would've been if not for injuries.

So we're just supposed to assume both teams will make it through the entire season healthy? 

Kyrie missed 20 games, Harden/Durant both missed half the season and Durant was the only one that was healthy in the playoffs. They don't have a ton of depth, Durant is 33, Harden is 32, and Kyrie has been injury prone his entire career. 

Anthony Davis missed half of the season and LeBron has missed 1/3 of the season in 2 of the 3 years he has been with the Lakers. And neither guy was healthy when the playoffs started last season. AD has been injury prone throughout his career, Russ is 32, and LeBron will be 37 this year. 

That's not to say it can't happen but I don't think you should just assume health considering the circumstances. And Russell Westbrook has been absolutely terrible in the postseason without Durant. 

Edited by NYRaider

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

So we're just supposed to assume both teams will make it through the entire season healthy?

Never said that. Injuries are a part of the game. I’m just saying most likely one of those two scenarios is what would’ve happened. 

I’m not assuming anything health wise. I just thought you quote tweeting him with snark was dumb.

LeBron’s injury last year wasn’t due to him being old. It was cause Hill fell into his leg. Maybe he recovered slower cause of being older, but high ankles are tricky regardless of age.

I’m more worried about AD or even Russ than Bron as far as injuries go. Hopefully having a regular offseason helps AD come back stronger. He wasn’t right pretty much all year. Also, hopefully Bron and Russ taking the load offensively during the regular season off one another helps keep them from going too hard before the playoffs.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

6 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

LeBron’s injury last year wasn’t due to him being old. It was cause Hill fell into his leg. Maybe he recovered slower cause of being older, but high ankles are tricky regardless of age.

I’m more worried about AD or even Russ than Bron as far as injuries go. Hopefully having a regular offseason helps AD come back stronger. He wasn’t right pretty much all year. Also, hopefully Bron and Russ taking the load offensively during the regular season off one another helps keep them from going too hard before the playoffs.

LeBron missed 27 games in 2018 with a strained groin. The only two years of his career that he has missed significant time were 2018-2019 and 2020-2021 at age 34 and 36. 

Westbrook is one of the most durable players in NBA history but even he missed time last year with a quad injury. For the Lakers to be their best I think AD has to be your best player with Russ carrying a big load as well to keep LeBron fresh.

I would not be looking forward to Nets Lakers finals. Durant is the only way player I like. James Harden forced his way out of Houston like a tool, Kyrie is a flat earther and the Lakers are just stock piling every one to win. Obviously everyone wants that series because of star power.

Edited by packerstk7