Raiders sign DT Ethan Westbrooks

RaidersAreOne

We are fine on the D-line, they said. 

Just give our guys a chance to develop and you'll see, they said. 

Now we have a IDL made up almost entirely of busts and guys who haven't played since like 2019 that we signed in camp instead of putting resources into it.

But hey, Koonce and Deablo and Gillespie and Morrissey will be excellent 4th stringers! We got that depth tho 🙄

And people wonder why there are harsh critics here? Maybe because we're literally drafting deep reserve DE's and S's in rounds we should be finding primary backups or starters? We're 3 deep at C ffs, but our IDL is literally the bargain bin. That's why. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Now we have a IDL made up almost entirely of busts and guys who haven't played since like 2019 that we signed in camp instead of putting resources into it.

But hey, Koonce and Deablo and Gillespie and Morrissey will be excellent 4th stringers! We got that depth tho 🙄

And people wonder why there are harsh critics here? Maybe because we're literally drafting deep reserve DE's and S's in rounds we should be finding primary backups or starters? We're 3 deep at C ffs, but our IDL is literally the bargain bin. That's why. 

With the IDL yea this is true but like who were we supposed to get? 

I will draft the ends and safeties to ensure we don't end of with Levitt Erik Harris and Daryl Worley at Safety and Arden Key rushing the passer. In order to find out why were trying to be so deep at the safety position and the defense a van position just watch the dolphins and chargers games. Those 2 games alone will give you insight lol

24 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

With the IDL yea this is true but like who were we supposed to get? 

I will draft the ends and safeties to ensure we don't end of with Levitt Erik Harris and Daryl Worley at Safety and Arden Key rushing the passer. In order to find out why were trying to be so deep at the safety position and the defense a van position just watch the dolphins and chargers games. Those 2 games alone will give you insight lol

It's a pattern that the Raiders have followed and a hill they've been willing to die on for ages now though- totally ignore position groups of glaring need, all in the name of the ethereal "Depth Gods". 

We did the same with LB for like a decade, and suffered because of it. 

When you're signing guys who haven't played in almost 3 years, after camp starts, because you don't like what you see (yet countless others saw plain as day), that's a problem. 

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

It's a pattern that the Raiders have followed and a hill they've been willing to die on for ages now though- totally ignore position groups of glaring need, all in the name of the ethereal "Depth Gods". 

We did the same with LB for like a decade, and suffered because of it. 

When you're signing guys who haven't played in almost 3 years, after camp starts, because you don't like what you see (yet countless others saw plain as day), that's a problem. 

1. I noticed that you ignored my question about who we should've got instead lol

2. You're telling me we didn't need depth at safety after last year?

3. You're telling me we didn't need defensive end from last year?

Edited by Jeremy408

10 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

1. I noticed that you ignored my question about who we should've got instead lol

2. You were telling me we didn't need depth at safety after last year?

3. You're telling me we didn't need defensive end from last year?

1. Didn't mean to ignore it. I would have drafted any number of guys. Perfect prospects? By no means were there any of those in the draft. But every single player in the draft has played far more games since 2018 than Westbrooks. I made my feelings on the lack of draftees well known back in April. 

2. We needed S's, yes. That doesn't mean you spend all of your capital on S's. That doesn't mean sign 15 of them at the expense of other positions. We drafted Moehrig. We signed Joseph. Unfortunately we're stuck with Abram. Leavitt is still here, by the way, soo.....

3. A good end, yes. Ferrell sucks. We got Yannick. We have Crosby. We signed Thomas (laughably as a DT). Nassib isn't going anywhere without it hurting us in the pocketbook for now. Koonce could conceivably wind up 5th or 6th on the depth chart, which is not good for a top 80 pick. He won't be starting over Crosby or Yannick. Ferrell is going to be given every possible opportunity to continue to underwhelm. Nassib is overpriced but not terrible. Why, then, did we pick an undersized DE in the top 80 when the likelihood of meaningful play time is severely limited by far better talent ahead of him on the depth chart? It's not like Koonce was a falling star we snagged up. He's another 3rd round shot in the dark, taken at the expense of addressing other positions (or otherwise not drafting S's and pretending they're linebackers).

48 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

1. Didn't mean to ignore it. I would have drafted any number of guys. Perfect prospects? By no means were there any of those in the draft. But every single player in the draft has played far more games since 2018 than Westbrooks. I made my feelings on the lack of draftees well known back in April. 

2. We needed S's, yes. That doesn't mean you spend all of your capital on S's. That doesn't mean sign 15 of them at the expense of other positions. We drafted Moehrig. We signed Joseph. Unfortunately we're stuck with Abram. Leavitt is still here, by the way, soo.....

3. A good end, yes. Ferrell sucks. We got Yannick. We have Crosby. We signed Thomas (laughably as a DT). Nassib isn't going anywhere without it hurting us in the pocketbook for now. Koonce could conceivably wind up 5th or 6th on the depth chart, which is not good for a top 80 pick. He won't be starting over Crosby or Yannick. Ferrell is going to be given every possible opportunity to continue to underwhelm. Nassib is overpriced but not terrible. Why, then, did we pick an undersized DE in the top 80 when the likelihood of meaningful play time is severely limited by far better talent ahead of him on the depth chart? It's not like Koonce was a falling star we snagged up. He's another 3rd round shot in the dark, taken at the expense of addressing other positions (or otherwise not drafting S's and pretending they're linebackers).

1. Ok thats real. Heres the way I see it. It seems like overall this wasnt a very good draft if your looking for a 3T. You can see that by the amount of 3Ts that were taken in the first 2 days. There were..

0 taken in the first round

2 taken in the 2nd round

2 taken in the 3rd round

(2 in the 4th round in this case you were wondering)

That shows you what the NFL(All 32 Teams) thought of this year's 3T class. Desire you're not finding a starter in the 5th round or below. 

So one would have to consider the Raiders strategy here: rather than burn a second round pick or 3rd rounder on someone who may not be worth it when we also have a huge need at safety, why don't we just get a bunch of guys that have potential but each have their own individual questions. You get one guy who was considered good enough to be the third overall pick(Thomas) his respective draft and has the exact same measurables and testing is Aaron Donald(not saying that he's going to be Aaron Donald or even a starter) but was never used at the position that got him highly touted in the first place, a guy that already was productive for our defense(Philon) but got in trouble so he hasn't played in a few years lol, we can see which of these 3Ts goes on drafted and make a dart throw(Stills), we had this one guy that showed flashes that was on the roster(vickers) lets bring him to camp, and then let's monitor this older veteran guy who a multi year pro bowler and all pro who has never had less than five sacks in any season he's ever played in until missing last season where the season ending injury before the season started and if he's healthy let's bring him to camp. I neither one someone emerges as the starter or two you have a rotation of fresh defensive tackles they each have talent one way or another. 

To me I feel like that makes more sense.

Another thing to consider is that 3T usually never have good first years: Unless you get the best one in the draft. 

2. Naw screw that! Leavitt should never have to see the field. You should never have to resort to signing Worley and then playing him the next week at safety. A player like Erik Harris as a starting safety for two years Should NEVER happen. All three of those happen when you not only not have a starter but you don't have backups that can play adequate football. That's not a starter problem that's a talent at the position problem. It shouldve never come to that. That's why and it makes sense when you sign someone who are used to start a strong safety for the team(so at least you know he's not some practice squad players or from the CFL) for the vet minimum and then you draft another safety that you like in the fourth round. It ensures that if someone gets hurt or two people get hurt there's not 90 yard touchdown's when there should only be 10-15 yards gained. 

3. I'm pretty sure we're going to move on from Nassib after this year but the reality is this year's edge rushing class was much better than this year's 3T class(as always). Look at the contrast of how many Edge Rushers that were taken

6 in round 1 

2 in round 2 

6 in round 3 

So it's important to note that Gus Bradley's defense doesn't blitz so it requires as many pass rushers as possible. Gus Bradley said already that he wants to rush with 2 lines if he can. 

And then of course last year should've taught us that it's all fun and games until people start getting hurt or on the Covid list

Edited by Jeremy408

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

🎯🎯🎯🎯 if we sign another player that didn’t play last year….

after Collins last year I have no confidence in the decision makers

wonder if that’s why all these executives are quitting this is embarrassing. 

this is the make or break year for everyone including me lol